Old School Amex Prepaid Card

Old May 25, 14, 12:35 pm

Old School Amex Prepaid Card

Anyone know how to see the full card number online? I've misplaced a card and want to call it in but the site only shows the last few digits.
Old May 25, 14, 10:15 pm

Is there any way to get these nowadays? or it's not open to newcomers?
Old May 26, 14, 9:18 pm

I would like to order one too
Old May 26, 14, 10:27 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by hti5t45 View Post
Try to buy one at Rite Aid. I've seen the card which looks exactly the same, but it was called Amex secure prepaid card.
Old May 27, 14, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by raenye View Post
Is there any way to get these nowadays? or it's not open to newcomers?
Originally Posted by hti5t45 View Post
Why?
Old May 27, 14, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Try to buy one at Rite Aid. I've seen the card which looks exactly the same, but it was called Amex secure prepaid card.
There is old stock at a CVS near me but be careful because so far I have seen nobody who has had success in registering them once purchased in the last few months. The one I got I tried but the website referred me to the 800 number (Indian support) who couldn't do anything other than "register" my address so I could use it online. They were unable to register the card so I could reload it and referred me to the website which of course....

Basically for me it turned out to be essentially an Amex gift card. With the demise for most folks of VR on CC I don't really see the appeal anyway now.
Old Jul 6, 14, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Old AMEX Prepaid Card - Of any use?

I was just going through my credit card wallet and found a card I'd forgotten.

It is an American Express card, has my name on it, and it is a prepaid card. I got it a few years ago before there was a BB or Serve. I used to use it, but (dumb as it sounds) for the life of me I don't recall how I'd load it.

The URL on the back of the card is www.americanexpress.com/prepaid. This seems to take me to the Serve page.

I managed to get logged in and the card has a zero balance. It appears that I can only load it with a bank account or ACH. It appears as though there is no bill pay function.

So dumb question I know...Is this card of any use to MS'ing ends?

(btw, I already have a BB for myself and my wife)
Old Jul 6, 14, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
I was just going through my credit card wallet and found a card I'd forgotten.

It is an American Express card, has my name on it, and it is a prepaid card. I got it a few years ago before there was a BB or Serve. I used to use it, but (dumb as it sounds) for the life of me I don't recall how I'd load it.

The URL on the back of the card is www.americanexpress.com/prepaid. This seems to take me to the Serve page.

I managed to get logged in and the card has a zero balance. It appears that I can only load it with a bank account or ACH. It appears as though there is no bill pay function.

So dumb question I know...Is this card of any use to MS'ing ends?

(btw, I already have a BB for myself and my wife)

Not anymore sadly. I use to load VR on them and use the 1 free ATM withdrawal at a free ATM. They were great for foreign ATMs also as there were never any transaction fees at foreign atms.
Old Jul 6, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks. Any point in cancelling or just keep it? Any way to convert it to Serve and, perhaps, end up with both a Serve and a BB?
Old Jul 6, 14, 2:43 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
upto you and no.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dingo View Post
Thanks. Any point in cancelling or just keep it? Any way to convert it to Serve and, perhaps, end up with both a Serve and a BB?
I have that card too, I am waiting to convert to a newer card than serve in near future or newer version of VR loadable. We are in a dynamic market new products keep coming........
Old Jul 11, 14, 7:41 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
You all are conflating two different things.

The "old school" prepaid card that the OP refers to is the American Express Prepaid Card. This was - and still is - a reloadable prepaid card, although it sounds like they are no longer offering these (I don't know that, but that's what the thread suggests). These could never be used to load Bluebird/Serve, but can be used to pull cash from an ATM (and for normal purchases where AMEX is accepted, of course).

There were multiple ways to get money onto this card, one or two of which could be used for light MS (and there probably still are ways that work, if you have this one - I have not tried to load mine for more than a few weeks, but last time I tried, it worked just fine). I'm not going to give you circles and arrows, if you have one of these, you probably know how to load it. If you have one and have forgotten, invest a tiny bit of effort and all of 5 minutes of your time to find out how. It's not a great instrument for large quantities of MS, but can be used for a small bit.

Then there's the (apparently) "new" American Express Secure Pay card, which looks almost identical (only difference I can see is the addition of "Secure Pay" printed on the front). I've never seen one of these in the wild (reportedly available at drug stores) but from the Amex info page on them, it is definitely a non-reloadable, throw-away-when-drained card (it's listed as "Secure Pay Card - Single Load Prepaid Card"). I'd be very surprised of this one had any potential use for MS.
Old Jul 12, 14, 1:05 pm

Agreed. These cards still have value. I have loaded them within the last week, but with beans going dry, these cards are more fragile than before.
Old Jul 12, 14, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
You all are conflating two different things.

There were multiple ways to get money onto this card, one or two of which could be used for light MS (and there probably still are ways that work, if you have this one - I have not tried to load mine for more than a few weeks, but last time I tried, it worked just fine). I'm not going to give you circles and arrows, if you have one of these, you probably know how to load it. If you have one and have forgotten, invest a tiny bit of effort and all of 5 minutes of your time to find out how. It's not a great instrument for large quantities of MS, but can be used for a small bit.
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka View Post
Agreed. These cards still have value. I have loaded them within the last week, but with beans going dry, these cards are more fragile than before.
Tried yesterday, does not work anymore....
Old Jul 12, 14, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Tried yesterday, does not work anymore....
What did you try?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: