Paying CC with MO

Old Feb 28, 14, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Paying CC with MO

Experiences with send money orders straight to CC? I hardly see this discussed about mailing MOs straight to the card provider. Wouldn't that be less risky than depositing thousands into a checking account? It says on the bill its an approved method if payment. How closely do you think they watch this activity? If they are sorting through thousands of payments a day in their PO box, do they really monitor how often you pay with MO? I've sent a few thousand straight to the CC provider with no problems but I mostly use WM billpay at the moment.
Old Feb 28, 14, 11:21 am

This is totally doable at citibank in the branch. You don't even need to fill in a deposit slip when using a check !! To scratch my curiosity I am going to do it today / this weekend.
Old Feb 28, 14, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris92128 View Post
Experiences with send money orders straight to CC? I hardly see this discussed about mailing MOs straight to the card provider. Wouldn't that be less risky than depositing thousands into a checking account? It says on the bill its an approved method if payment. How closely do you think they watch this activity? If they are sorting through thousands of payments a day in their PO box, do they really monitor how often you pay with MO? I've sent a few thousand straight to the CC provider with no problems but I mostly use WM billpay at the moment.
Interesting option. Maybe I'll try it sometime, although my CU doesn't seem to have a problem with all the MOs I'm depositing.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:08 pm

It says on the bill its an approved method if payment
Yep, send in 25 at a time to save on postage.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
Yep, send in 25 at a time to save on postage.
The terms on the statement say you can only include 1 payment per envelope. Will they still process multiples?
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:19 pm

I mostly use WM billpay at the moment.
Cannot use WM Bill pay to pay AmEx CC anymore. Any alternative Bill Pay service for AmEx bills, other than the checking account?
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Counterpoint: Chase and USB did not find this amusing when I did it to them. The first time no issues. The 2nd time a phone call with an unhappy representative and the banks telling me they would process the MO's as a "non-standard" payment submission. They didn't say no or stop, but it seemed to be implied.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:29 pm

Did you sent multiple money orders or just one ? Most big companies process a payment with just a slip and a single check/money order completely automated, no human intervention at all. I know we had equipment at the insurance company I worked for that could tell if there was just the payment slip and one check/money order, open it up, scan it in and process it without intervention. Only if you had >2 items inside or you folded stuff would it need manual processing (so no oversized money orders that need folding, I guess).
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:41 pm
Original Member

I send lots of money orders to AMEX and have never heard a peep.

I send some to BOA and US Bank and Barclays credit card payment centers and have had no problems.

I received a disturbing call from the Chase credit card department telling me to stop making payments via money orders. The guy on the other end mentioned Structuring because the payments were always around $1,000 and the money orders were often in sequential order. He became nicer after I explained to him that WalMart has a maximum of $1,000 per money order and their cash register only allows four debit card swipes, so if a person has four $500 cards, it is reasonable for him to buy two money orders of around $1,000 each that have sequential numbers. The guy had no idea that the limit on money orders was $1,000 at WalMart. Hopefully, the fact that he got nicer throughout the call means he decided he did not need to do a SAR.

I post this just as a warning to be careful of sending too many money orders to Chase. A few are okay, but no one knows how many are okay. Another poster indicated that he received a similar call from Chase. As I noted above, the other credit card companies seem fine with money orders.

It could have of course been an isolated incidence with one eager beaver who paid way too much attention in Fraud training class deciding to hassle people. But I think it is wise not to overdo it with Chase.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobsta811 View Post
Did you sent multiple money orders or just one ? Most big companies process a payment with just a slip and a single check/money order completely automated, no human intervention at all. I know we had equipment at the insurance company I worked for that could tell if there was just the payment slip and one check/money order, open it up, scan it in and process it without intervention. Only if you had >2 items inside or you folded stuff would it need manual processing (so no oversized money orders that need folding, I guess).
Yes this is what I was wondering. If you only send one per envelope, is it automatically processed as chase would receive many payment envelopes per day? I've sent a couple of thousand to chase with no issues. I was just wondering if anyone has done this to a larger scale such as $10k or more in money order payments per week.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have considered this as well. Next week I'll get a mo and mail it in and see how it goes/how fast the payment post.
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
This is certainly an interesting option. But beside the possible risk of SARs or AA with the CC providers, there's also a big potential hassle when the MOs is lost/missing by the post.

Question for those who have done it, how long does it take for the MOs to show up online, on average?
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mustang281man View Post
I have considered this as well. Next week I'll get a mo and mail it in and see how it goes/how fast the payment post.
From what I remember it posts pretty quick. I mailed it on a Monday and it posted on Thursday. They say you are supposed to use their envelopes with the windows though. Anyone know if you can get extra envelopes at a branch?
Old Feb 28, 14, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Use certified mail for safety.
Old Feb 28, 14, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
I send lots of money orders to AMEX and have never heard a peep.

Why do U prefer MO over Bill pay?

Can U load funds to AmEx BB or Tmobile prepaid using MO and then use their bill pay feature?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: