Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jan_believes
I'm sorry, who's gonna shut me down? ...

I would definitely do multiple transactions there again. What an opportunity ....
Fool This is why we can't have nice things.

Let's see. One goes into Kroger and over to the service desk on ANOTHER day, a day that will NOT be connected with a previous one and he simply steps forward and says, "I'm a little confused about Kroger not accepting debit cards for payment of money orders. Is there a supervisor I could speak with?" Not abrasive, not unfriendly, just straight forward. This is a problem?

And, how would one know a supervisor ALWAYS agrees with the employee? He is just requesting a clarification on policy. The supervisor will either say "well, yes, we do accept debit cards" and then go into some kind of defense for the employee OR reiterate that only cash is accepted. Either way, one finds out what the policy is and if it's cash only, it is what it is. Period. He wouldn't have gotten to buy the MO anyway AND he would know he had a YMMV event.

Who goes to the grocery store to "want to be known in a store unless it's in a good way, with cashier 'friends'"? Peeps in a tight community? Sure, but for the majority, peeps go to the grocery store to seek out the products and services it provides. They buy, then leave.

What is all the angst about suspicion? He is just going to stand in line and then ask a question. If the staff there is so ornery that shopping at that store is a problem, one wouldn't want to make it a habit to go there anyway.

It's not like we have flashing digital displays with "MS patron" across our clothing.

I stick with my advice and I've actually received a PM that it's acceptable advice. He has the right to inquire further. We agree to disagree.
Horrible!!! Going back another day? Yes, because the same people never work more than one day a week. No, they are so stupid that they won't be suspicious after a couple of times. No, corporate won't care and won't intervene by blocking that store, every store in the area, then the entire chain. There won't be any red flags involved at all. Their flashing display reads scam, not MS. <face palm>

Originally Posted by mrbiggs223
Yea its YMMV - Had a clerk at Kroger refuse to sell MO because of no name printed on the card. After I asked for 500/500 split he immediately asked to see the card and said he couldn't do it because people were "scamming them with reloadable cards".
This. These actions are indicative of those committing fraud. Whether real or perceived, stores WILL take measures to limit their exposure.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:37 am

Thanks for all the help guys. The only two I knew for sure were Kroger (yes) and HEB (no). Now I have a couple of more to search for in my area.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Fool This is why we can't have nice things.

Horrible!!! Going back another day? Yes, because the same people never work more than one day a week. No, they are so stupid that they won't be suspicious after a couple of times. No, corporate won't care and won't intervene by blocking that store, every store in the area, then the entire chain. There won't be any red flags involved at all. Their flashing display reads scam, not MS. <face palm>

This. These actions are indicative of those committing fraud. Whether real or perceived, stores WILL take measures to limit their exposure.
Besides the abrasive and unnecessary language, you simply don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing to your claims of doom.

You are approaching MS as if you're committing criminal acts -- you are not. Honesty is the best policy, coupled with simply leaving when they refuse to work with you and trying another place/another day.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:42 am

I wonder if the announcement that Albertson's is buying the Randalls supermarkets' parent will change any of Randalls GC policies in the future?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:56 pm

MS isn't criminal, but it is out of the ordinary purchase wise. Suspicious activity is what leads to avenues being shut down. Just the fear of fraud, and not necessarily fraud itself, makes people nervous.

Last edited by hamhead; Apr 9, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Deleted.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by roneyc
Thanks for all the help guys. The only two I knew for sure were Kroger (yes) and HEB (no). Now I have a couple of more to search for in my area.
You're blessed to have options over there in Houston area. Best wishes. Please share the results of your search here when you do try. Thanks.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:01 pm

Hope that made you happy. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I guess that's why YOU can't have nice things. But, I can. Like the terrific people at Kroger that took GREAT care of me recently. And, because I don't live my life in fear of whatever it is that's torturing you on the inside.

(BTW, if you need to take another "shot" at me, know that I won't be scheduling a future "tit 4 tat" session. I will be too busy w/successful MS spending. Best wishes!)
I haven't made it into the Kroger as the one near me closed. However there's one near my work, I'll need to check it out at lunch sometime. I'm not doing nearly the $$ you are, but its nice to diversify. Thx.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:09 pm
jmw

Let's see. One goes into Kroger and over to the service desk on ANOTHER day, a day that will NOT be connected with a previous one and he simply steps forward and says, "I'm a little confused about Kroger not accepting debit cards for payment of money orders. Is there a supervisor I could speak with?" Not abrasive, not unfriendly, just straight forward. This is a problem?
You are doing this wrong. I don't back down from a store just because one cashier says cash only when the registers are not hard coded. But your approach stinks. It draws unwanted attention that could lead to a cash only memo/team meeting directive to all of the cashiers. It's also a waste of time since you're talking to someone much more likely to say no. You want to deal EXCLUSIVELY with the friendly folks and AVOID the unfriendly ones (eg. supervisors who knows the in-house rules).

We MS the same cash only stores enough times that we know all of the cashiers. We profile them and figure out which ones are friendly. Knowing all of the cashiers is part of the "job". It's usually possible to find at least one friendly cashier during the busy part of the day when there are many open lanes. We gossip with them and compliment them on their nails, hair, good lucks, smile, etc. Finally, amounts are sometimes kept to under the $500 override limit unless the cashier has the override card already.

Right now, there is a promotion on fixed value cards. If there are friendly cashiers, we shoot for the $500s at the cash only store. If none of them are available, we'll buy one $200 and call it a day.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:24 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: SW, UA, Alaska, Marriott
Bought one at Albertsons for $400 (first time purchasing so I kept it to a certain amount based on my needs, going through Evolve) on Saturday and it went fine with the credit card.

Sent a test payment of $1.00 to my student loan processor since I had to have Evolve add them, saw that it processed, then went to submit the rest. Found out somebody had already fraudulently drained the card (purchases of $49.95 at several grocery stores in another part of LA) and am trying to work with the issuer to return the funds. Anybody had experience with this?

Makes me very hesitant to use these cards in the future now.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stryker1sf
Bought one at Albertsons for $400 (first time purchasing so I kept it to a certain amount based on my needs, going through Evolve) on Saturday and it went fine with the credit card.

Sent a test payment of $1.00 to my student loan processor since I had to have Evolve add them, saw that it processed, then went to submit the rest. Found out somebody had already fraudulently drained the card (purchases of $49.95 at several grocery stores in another part of LA) and am trying to work with the issuer to return the funds. Anybody had experience with this?

Makes me very hesitant to use these cards in the future now.
Very sorry that happened to you. Perhaps someone here had a similar experience (not that I would want that to be frequent) and will share some help to you. I can't imagine how that even happens (Xray vision on the strip or something?).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
So far, I have found no grocery stores in Northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland/Canton) which sell higher valued gift cards, debit reloads or anything over $100. Some stores like Giant Eagle don't even have vgc for $100 since they don't want to shell out a lot of iggle points for fuel.

Anyone in NE Ohio who has found grocery stores that allow $500 debit, vgc or equivilent please respond. I have plenty of supply at drugstores, but I would prefer to diversify my ms spending using grocery stores too.

So far in NE Ohio the biggest grocery stores:

Acme ($100 VGC - cash only)
Giant Eagle ($50 VGC is highest they have)
Walmarts don't count toward Amex Blue's grocery category therefore not interested.

Many grocery store chains left the northeast Ohio regions years ago as Giant Eagle came in and competition drove out Tops, Kroger and others. Now, Walmart superstores are giving Giant Eagle competition by beating prices. Acme stays high (older clientele). But of course, most 5% grocery categories with cc don't count Walmart. Guess I have to stick with buying my gift card, debits, reloads and such at drugstores and office supply. Even though most of my initial puchases are online through portals I still need some B&amp;M places.
Just curious whether you've checked Heinen's or Dave's supermarkets yet? I haven't had any luck at Giant Eagle or Acme. Maybe a speciality store like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? Do they even sell gift cards?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:54 pm

Hannafords which is in the north east sells $500 Mastercard GCs and should be added to the wiki
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:50 pm

Vons (safeway brand) let me purchase a $500 VGC for $5.95 with no manager override required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.