Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the data points guys, found a couple places I didn't know about before.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Thank you to Beckles in proceeding post.

Last edited by jan_believes; Apr 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jan_believes
If this qualifies for a wiki, I think it would be nice.
I must confess I just learned this myself in the past month, any FT'er can add a wiki to a post, just click the Thread Tools button up there ^^^^ and you can add a wiki post to any thread.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:29 pm

Not that you should do this but if you are in that store again sometime, maybe ask for a supervisor at the service desk to see if someone QUICKLY trained and a bit reactive might have misrepresented the store policy. Best wishes!
i'm sorry, but this is TERRIBLE advice. i cannot disagree with it enough.

he was showing a real debit card, but the key to MO's for MS is the ability to use VGC's. further, he's new to this so a lot of supervisors will just agree with the cashier. then what does he do???? he'd pretty much have to write off the store. you don't want to be known in a store unless it's in a good way, with cashier 'friends'.

my advise would be if that was teh night shift, go in the morning or vice versa. he also needs to be confident, not act suspicious or unsure of himself- this makes them think he's doing something wrong. if he still strikes out, then go to another store. better yet, go farther away from your house/work to
'practice' and get comfortable, so you don't blow up stores for yourself along your normal travel paths while learning!

when i try something new, i do it away from my normal area. i don't want stores i need to start getting suspicious of me. if i'm in another city, i'll use it as a test bed.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Deleted.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:20 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I'll add Albertsons to the list. $5.95 for $500 is a dollar more than VGC but it is next door to work so I can walk over there on a coffee break and snap one up.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
I must confess I just learned this myself in the past month, any FT'er can add a wiki to a post, just click the Thread Tools button up there ^^^^ and you can add a wiki post to any thread.
Your account just needs to be 90 days old + at least 90 posts though.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Safeway sells these giftcards. 500 requires override from manager FYI.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:59 am

I don't know if this applies to EVERY Meijer out there, but my local store doesn't have anything over $100 that you can purchase with a credit card.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:11 am

FYI
H-T - DL at $500, manager override at $1000. Never done more than $1000 so not sure of further limits.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
So far, I have found no grocery stores in Northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland/Canton) which sell higher valued gift cards, debit reloads or anything over $100. Some stores like Giant Eagle don't even have vgc for $100 since they don't want to shell out a lot of iggle points for fuel.

Anyone in NE Ohio who has found grocery stores that allow $500 debit, vgc or equivilent please respond. I have plenty of supply at drugstores, but I would prefer to diversify my ms spending using grocery stores too.

So far in NE Ohio the biggest grocery stores:

Acme ($100 VGC - cash only)
Giant Eagle ($50 VGC is highest they have)
Walmarts don't count toward Amex Blue's grocery category therefore not interested.

Many grocery store chains left the northeast Ohio regions years ago as Giant Eagle came in and competition drove out Tops, Kroger and others. Now, Walmart superstores are giving Giant Eagle competition by beating prices. Acme stays high (older clientele). But of course, most 5% grocery categories with cc don't count Walmart. Guess I have to stick with buying my gift card, debits, reloads and such at drugstores and office supply. Even though most of my initial puchases are online through portals I still need some B&M places.

Last edited by Churnman; Apr 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by junooni
I tried getting a MO at Krogers and the person flat out told me it was cash only, even though I waived by real debit card at her instead of a GC. Anything I am missing or is this YMMV scenario as well?
Yea its YMMV - Had a clerk at Kroger refuse to sell MO because of no name printed on the card. After I asked for 500/500 split he immediately asked to see the card and said he couldn't do it because people were "scamming them with reloadable cards".
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:10 am

Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500.

YES:
Acme
Giant
Kroger
Food Lion
H-T
Pick 'n Save - up to 500 maximum of 2K per transaction 5.95 fee no ID required
(etc as the posts verify).

NO:
HEB
Festival Foods
(etc as posts verify).

Grocers that sell $200:
Wegmans
Tops
Piggly Wiggly - up to 200 maximum of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required

Thanks for considering.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.

Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500.

YES:
Acme
Giant
Kroger
Food Lion
H-T
(etc as the posts verify).

NO:
HEB
(etc as posts verify).

Grocers that sell $200:
Wegmans
Tops

Thanks for considering.
What state are you in? I haven't found any Acme in Northeast Ohio that sells variable GC's using a cc to purchase. They want cash. I believe the Acmes in my area are owned by a local group and other Acmes in other states are owned by others, but I don't know for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
You can add Shoprite to the list of grocery stores than sell variable GC's up to $500. Stop & Shop, too.

Last edited by nickfromct; Apr 9, 2014 at 4:25 pm Reason: added stop & shop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.