Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by runb4fun
I have never bought $500 VGC at wallgreen. Should I just be picking up one that Visa $500 card or is there more to which type to pick? I'm looking to load on Serve.
$500 VGC. If you load on Serve, I believe Kate only lets you load $49.99 at a time. Also, many people have been getting their SERVE's shut down so buyer beware.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
$500 VGC. If you load on Serve, I believe Kate only lets you load $49.99 at a time. Also, many people have been getting their SERVE's shut down so buyer beware.
Can't this be done at Rite Aid for the full amount?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
At my local Winn-Dixie, I was told that all V/MC gift cards would be pulled from the store. At other stores in the area, they were already cash-only. FWIW, WD is not chip-enabled locally.

Andyandy
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andyandy
At my local Winn-Dixie, I was told that all V/MC gift cards would be pulled from the store. At other stores in the area, they were already cash-only. FWIW, WD is not chip-enabled locally.

Andyandy
Chip update is rolling out.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Ok cool. I just have the cashier load them for me at Family Dollar. I can just load $500 into my serve this way, right?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:51 pm

Well if you don't mind I would like to rent out some time on the Tigerfish when the time comes. And since I'm the first responder, I think a referral program is in order. One in which I receive a commission for all rentals made for the Tigerfish.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Lucky for me I bought the USS Tigerfish (SSN-509) using frequent flyer miles, so my little operation can break through that thick ice.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:02 am
Suspended

Kind of funny but does anyone watch "Shameless?" One of the main characters stole someone's credit card and then went to the local drugstore to buy VGC's, lol.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
The Whole Foods by my house stopped selling VGC within the last week or two. When I went in this afternoon, the gift card rack was empty, all of the VGC shelf tags were still in place.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Safeway doesn't have $500 variables anymore. Maximum is $100 now.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by umich07
The Whole Foods by my house stopped selling VGC within the last week or two. When I went in this afternoon, the gift card rack was empty, all of the VGC shelf tags were still in place.
Lots of that going around these days.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:44 pm

For those of you getting $500 cards at Walgreen's, are these out on the floor or do you have to ask a cashier for them? I live in Honolulu, and I finally thought I could get my spend done on my dividend and freedom this quarter, but $50 vanillas are the only card on the rack now, at all Long's and Walgreen's(our only drugstores), and variable load cards disappeared at Safeway months ago. And those are my only options. I feel I may be out of luck.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:50 am
Suspended

At Walgreen's, they're on the floor. At least at mine they are.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jeffersun
For those of you getting $500 cards at Walgreen's, are these out on the floor or do you have to ask a cashier for them? I live in Honolulu, and I finally thought I could get my spend done on my dividend and freedom this quarter, but $50 vanillas are the only card on the rack now, at all Long's and Walgreen's(our only drugstores), and variable load cards disappeared at Safeway months ago. And those are my only options. I feel I may be out of luck.
Nothing at Wal Mart? I haven't been to Honolulu for a while, but earlier this month the WM at Hilo was well-stocked.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
... and I finally thought I could get my spend done on my dividend and freedom this quarter ...
I thought that the Chase Freedom category bonus spend this 2Q was for grocery stores and wholesale clubs, but not pharmacies. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:44 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by gamzarme
I thought that the Chase Freedom category bonus spend this 2Q was for grocery stores and wholesale clubs, but not pharmacies. Am I missing something?
Probably referring to Safeway:

... and variable load cards disappeared at Safeway months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.