Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:31 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jan_believes
. . . If anyone wants to PM, put it here and I will make communication available.
Well, we can't PM if your account is over quota!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:38 am

It was meant to FOCUS on grocery stores because I was to be on travel and wanted to cover the grocery store bonus category while outside of my normal area where I could not purchase variable Visa/MC GCs at the local grocer (none there). It's my belief it has been helpful. It expanded info for others in other areas with other grocery store opportunities.
So, exactly my point. You were traveling and wanted to cherry pick items in stores. Maybe you only wanted 1k. But others may plan bigger. Big purchases draw attention. And if you won't be going back, who cares, no need to cultivate a relationship, right? Personally, I don't want outside big hitters near my local stores. No telling what damage they could do. A list is just a baaaad idea and eventually, kills the deal.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by LRD
Well, we can't PM if your account is over quota!
Correct!!

That's why I suggested posting here so a PM path can be accessible or an email exchange be started.

I have a message that another member attempted. To the member, try again, now. Thanks.

OK, so a listing has been ruled a "bad idea" for reasons stated. Now, not then, because of the abundance of those who can make it difficult for others. I was only inquiring about one grocer chain initially. I just don't think I should be faulted because the thread additions left the rails. It had some good days.

I've seen worser (not a word) threads hammered with out of control additions.

Mod: the consensus is that my thread needs to be closed. It has outlived its usefulness per the masses. I'm ok with it.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jun 30, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by trippinbilly
I like Kroger because they also have good grocery sales and I easily get MOs as well. One stop shopping.
^ That was my experience, also. Thanks trippinbilly. Appreciate your upbeat attitude.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:39 pm

This worked for a $1000 BB reload today from Metabank bought at Jewel. Oops, too much info?? LOL. Keep On Churning!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:05 am

I can only speak for myself and I purchase under the radar <$1K MOs. I deposit them among three institutions where I have banked frequently. All major players and I use their ATMs.
The *First.National.Bankof *Texas&its branch,(1st.Convenience.Bank) at Kroger stores (and WMs), in my area, the MOs' deposits are ilimited. I'm doing it ($991.31, a day/last 3weeks). Available next day. Not sophisticated at all. Mos at 25 cents, but only ca$H. Tellers are very young apprentices. MOs never get from them... of course! Still from K., as well. in a *very* moderate and discrete schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by jonnyd13
Winn Dixie, Sweetbay
The variable-load Visa I purchased July 5 from WinnDixe worked for me at BB. However, I don't have a cc offering grocery incentives, and the WinnDixie club doesn't give rewards on giftcard purchases. So it wasn't that lucrative.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by styxfire
The variable-load Visa I purchased July 5 from WinnDixe worked for me at BB. However, I don't have a cc offering grocery incentives, and the WinnDixie club doesn't give rewards on giftcard purchases. So it wasn't that lucrative.
Yes, cards issued by Metabank and US Bank (and probably others) will still work, unless your Walmart has a "name on debit card must match ID" type rule.

Cards here tend to cost $5.95 at grocery stores, so with a 1% you lose money, even without taking into account time and gas. Hopefully you had above 1% or price was less!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:02 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I just deleted over a dozen posts debating the sharing of information and the causes that result in deals being killed. There are other threads for those things. Please remember to remain on topic.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:16 am

Happy Birthday $500

I just saw a Happy Birthday gift card loadable up to $500 at Walmart from a bank with "Sun" in the name. I cant remember for sure what the name of the bank was, but might be sunshine? Has anybody tried using this card?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
I just saw a Happy Birthday gift card loadable up to $500 at Walmart from a bank with "Sun" in the name. I cant remember for sure what the name of the bank was, but might be sunshine? Has anybody tried using this card?
was it Suntrust? I haven't bought this card.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:51 am

It's sunrise bank. There are a number of posts in the forum about it.

http://www.google.com/#q=site:flyert...unrise+walmart
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:04 am

Add Bi-Lo to the No list...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:19 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by unkinected
It's sunrise bank. There are a number of posts in the forum about it.

http://www.google.com/#q=site:flyert...unrise+walmart
I spent a couple hrs reading the posts. If my walmart accepts a CC for purchase of this "Birthday card" I still couldn't find if sunrise bank GC are working to load BB??? Has anyone tried loading BB with the "Birthday" GC recently?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I spent a couple hrs reading the posts. If my walmart accepts a CC for purchase of this "Birthday card" I still couldn't find if sunrise bank GC are working to load BB??? Has anyone tried loading BB with the "Birthday" GC recently?
Did this thread mention that the card is accepted for money orders and/or bill pay? If so, then anything that they accept will be accepted for BB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.