Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kingrat
No one tried Winn-Dixie or Publix?
What do you mean no one tried Winn Dixie? Guess you only looked at the wiki. Heck there's even a post only a few above yours of someone posting success at Winn Dixie.

I was just about to add it to the wiki though before I read your post.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:17 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
havent been paying attention to this thread, but surprised theres no mention of Randalls in the wiki.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:43 am

Bought my first Univision MC. For some reason, I always thought it was a Visa. Are these loaded onto BB at WM without any problems? Or are they tricky like the US Bank MCs?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:48 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
It's getting really hard to find variable load US Bank Visa GCs at Ralphs. Anybody know where else to get these?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by vishnu88
It's getting really hard to find variable load US Bank Visa GCs at Ralphs. Anybody know where else to get these?
Vons. They are Metabank instead of US Bank, but I don't see why that would matter.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:20 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cbn42
Vons. They are Metabank instead of US Bank, but I don't see why that would matter.
Will check those out. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Bought my first Univision MC. For some reason, I always thought it was a Visa. Are these loaded onto BB at WM without any problems? Or are they tricky like the US Bank MCs?
Spoon?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...eway-vons.html
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Big Y

Big Y in Connecticut does. They will accept CC for the purchase. It helps to be a Big Y silver member for this.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:28 pm

Finding places selling high value Visa GCs?

With CVS (still actually called Longs here) no longer taking CCs for VRC I've been exploring other avenues.

I'd be fine buying $500 OV or Visa GCs if I could find them. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on other places that sell these cards? Specifically interested in locations in Maui/Hawaii (Home), Southern California and Las Vegas.

I've been to 3 CVS/Longs - the highest value VGC they have is $50. The don't have OneVanilla (only MyVanilla).

7-Eleven - barren

Office Max - I found a $200 VGC for $7. I'm just meeting minimum spend so I'd do this in a pinch, but it's going to be hard to do $5k/m this way.

WalMart - Saw debit/gift cards in the check out aisles, but only WalMart/Green Dot MoneyPaks. No OV. I did see a 2 $25/50 Visa GC's that gave me hope, but that was it.

I'm going to give up soon and just buy online from gift card mall. Which might be better anyway since I can get my name printed on them, but thought I'd ask just in case anyone had other locations to share.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:34 pm

Today at Walmart at the cashier, I saw Visa GC 25-500 for 4.94.
All the CVS I got to has VGC 25-500 for 4.95 or 5.95 depending on which version you want. OV is hit or miss.
Vons has 25-500 VGC for 5.95

Food for Less/ Ralphs / Albertson, the denomination is like 200.00 the highest. Not worth the fee.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:37 pm

Sucks for you wherever you are.

Most of my MS is still @ CVS. Most of my spend recently (Exec Cards, Southwest, SPG) is non-bonus spend so I've been doing $20-30k a month in OV from CVS.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:43 pm

$500 VGC at CVS in San Diego still.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:54 pm

In my area, CVS still is good for OV VL @ $500. Also, Albertsons and Winn Dixie both carry VL @ $500.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

LOL.. well generally speaking it doesn't suck to live in Maui, but for MS it's certainly not ideal.

It's reassuring to know others are still finding $500 cards in the usual places. Maybe it's a temporary stock issue. I'll certainly do some card shopping on my next SoCal/Vegas.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
I get to go to my local Simon Mall and get 500 for 2.95 FTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.