Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:56 pm

Only two stores near by, has to be a grocery store for bonus, so stuck with this. $1500 is even worse. Someone kill me.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:54 pm

Remember $1999 is also <$2k. Although then you're in danger of being charged with structuring.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Remember $1999 is also <$2k. Although then you're in danger of being charged with structuring.
Please.... structuring is for bank deposits as far as I know.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Dont think this is the case
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:12 pm

Slightly off topic, but I have a $500 card purchased at a supermarket that has now twice been rejected for MO at a supermarket. After the first time I checked online and confirmed I had the correct pin. It shows $500 value still, and no transactions except for initial load, although it did show today as last use. I have liquidated many identical cards without issue at the store both times when I had the issue (just replaced it with a different card). Expiration date is same as some that worked. Thoughts?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Slightly off topic, but I have a $500 card purchased at a supermarket that has now twice been rejected for MO at a supermarket. After the first time I checked online and confirmed I had the correct pin. It shows $500 value still, and no transactions except for initial load, although it did show today as last use. I have liquidated many identical cards without issue at the store both times when I had the issue (just replaced it with a different card). Expiration date is same as some that worked. Thoughts?
Who is the GC issuer? And which supermarket? (If it's Publix, they may have hardcoded their system to reject gift cards in the last couple of weeks...I have had some problems liquidating there but other grocery stores in my area are BAU).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Who is the GC issuer? And which supermarket? (If it's Publix, they may have hardcoded their system to reject gift cards in the last couple of weeks...I have had some problems liquidating there but other grocery stores in my area are BAU).
It's a mastercard. As I said, I had liquidated other ones at the store that same day. Turns out it was blocked because the pin was put in wrong several times. You do have to copy the pins on mastercards, so maybe I typed wrong initially. Supposedly should work now.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:08 pm

Anyone have $500's in their local autozone yet?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by asot550
Anyone have $500's in their local autozone yet?
Any cards giving bonuses for auto related stuff?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by mangoed
Potential MS profitable, not a specific card bonus related.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mangoed
Yes. Some manufacturers have reward CC's. Some may cover parts and repairs. Some are surprisingly broadminded about MCC's.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Havent looked into cards with bonus potential, but was just in my local Michaels looking for Halloween stuff and came by a rack of variable VGCs and MCGCs.
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Havent looked into cards with bonus potential, but was just in my local Michaels looking for Halloween stuff and came by a rack of variable VGCs and MCGCs.
Good to know. What is the max $? They take CC?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
Good to know. What is the max $? They take CC?
$25-500 variables and yes cc is accepted for purchase. I'm going to look up the MCC once the charges post to see if there are any cards that would earn bonus spend at Michaels.
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
$25-500 variables and yes cc is accepted for purchase. I'm going to look up the MCC once the charges post to see if there are any cards that would earn bonus spend at Michaels.
You can at least use the flat rate CC like Chase Unlimited or Citi Double Cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.