Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
A glossary specializing in manufactured spending terms. Not to be confused with FlyerTalk's main glossary found here.
If an abbreviation has more than one meaning, the abbreviation is in the list multiple times but with different definitions.

@m3x - Amex (American Express)
AGC - Amex Gift Card
AU - Authorized User
AXP - American Express
B&M - Brick & Mortar. Physical store, not on-line.
BAU - Business As Usual
BB - Bluebird. From Amex and Walmart.
BBP - Amex Blue Business Plus credit card.
BDC - Bank Debit Card
BHN - Blackhawk Network. It manages and distributes prepaid gift cards.
BP - Billpay
BRG - Amex Business Gold Rewards credit card. Why it's BRG instead of BGR is beyond me.
CB - Cashback
CC - Credit Card
CF - Chase Freedom credit card
CFU - Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card
CFBP - Check Free Billpay. A billpay service used by WM and many other retailers.
CFPB - Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/
CFU - Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card. Not the same as the Chase Freedom credit card
CIC - Chase Ink Cash credit card..
CIP - Chase Ink Preferred credit card
CL - Credit Limit
CLI - Credit Limit Increase
CSM - Customer Service Manager
CSP - Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card
CSR - Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card
CSR - Customer Service Representative.
CTR - Currency Transaction Report. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_transaction_report
CU - Credit Union
DC - Debit Card
DE - Dining Everywhere. A visa gift card for restuarants and bars.
DG - Dollar General
DL - Driver's License
DM - District Manager
DP - Data Point
EE - Explore Everywhere. A visa gift card for parks, museums, tours, and zoos.
eMSAR - Electronic Money Service Activity Report. Often thought to be "Suspicious Activity Report". Electronic version of MSAR.
FD - Family Dollar.
FE - Fuel Everywhere. A visa gift card for gas and service stations. Also good for items sold inside gas stations.
FiveBack - Five Back Visa Gift Card
FL - Food Lion. A grocery store in Southeastern U.S.
FNBO - First National Bank of Omaha. Issuer of several different credit cards.
FT - FlyerTalk
GC - Gift Card
GCC - GiftCard.com. An on-line seller of gift cards.
GCM - Gift Card Mall. An on-line seller of gift cards.
GD - Green Dot. Usually refers to Green Dot's reloadable prepaid card.
GE - Grocery Everywhere. A visa gift card for grocery stores.
gebit - gift card debit card. Visa & Mastercard gift card are also valid debit cards and have the word "debit" on them. Amex gift cards are not debit cards.
HFPU - Hold For Pick Up. The post office will hold your package for you to pick up.
HH - Amex Hilton Honors Ascend credit card
HP - Hard Pull. When your credit is checked, it can be done with a hard pull or a soft pull. A hard pull will ding your credit score for a couple of points.
HT - Harris Teeter. A grocery store chain owned by Kroger.
HUCA - Hang Up, Call Again
Ink - Chase Ink Business credit card. .There are several different cards under the Ink name, but they are all business cards.
KATE - Kiosk At The Entrance. A self-serve kiosk machine usually positioned near the entrance of Walmart. Very few if any exist anymore.
MC - MasterCard
MC - Money Center. Often the Walmart Money Center.
ME - Movies Everywhere. A visa gift card for movies, concessions, and online rentals.
MG - Money Gram
MO - Money Order
MP - Moneypak. One way to reload Green Dot cards.
MS - Manufactured Spending
MSAR - Money Service Activity Report. Often thought to be "Suspicious Activity Report". cf eMSAR
MSR - Minimum Spend Requirement. The amount of spend needed to trigger a signup bonus for a new credit card or bank account.
NM - Neighborhood Market. A type of Walmart that is basically a grocery store but not a department store.
OBC - Amex Old Blue Cash credit card. Discontinued, but old cards still work.
OD - Office Depot
OD/OM - Office Depot/OfficeMax
OM - OfficeMax
OV - One Vanilla. A brand of Visa gift cards.
PM - Private Message. To send a PM, left-click on the user's name and select "send a private message". To read, go to the top-right of the screen and click on your own name.
Portal - Shopping Portal. Examples are TopCashBack or Ebates.
POS - Point of Sale. Usually the software installed in the cash register.
RD - Reward Dollars
RMN - RetailMeNot
SAR - Suspicious Activity Report
SC - Sam's Club
SC - Supercenter (usually Walmart Supercenter)
SCO - Self Check Out
SE - Style Everywhere. A visa gift card for department stores and clothing stores.
SGC - Simon Gift Card. aka Simon Mall Gift Card
SM - Simon Mall
SPG - Amex Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
T&C - Terms & Conditions
TCB - Top Cash Back. A shopping portal.
TYP - Thank You Points. The Citi card rewards program.
USB - US Bank. A common issuer of prepaid cards, especially those sold in grocery stores.
UR - Ultimate Rewards. Chase's miles program.
VGC - Variable Gift Card. Eg $20-$500 visa gift card.
VGC - Visa Gift Card
VPN - Virtual Private Network. A way to surf the web anonymously.
VR - Vanilla Reload
VSE - Visa Savings Edge. A rewards program for registering your business credit card.
WAG - Walgreens
WF - Wells Fargo. Sometimes the bank, sometimes the bank's credit card.
WM - Walmart
WMNM - Walmart Neighborhood Market. A type of Walmart that is basically a grocery store but not a department store.
WU - Western Union
YZ - Yazing. A cashback portal.
Print Wikipost

Acronyms for MS newbies

Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Has there ever been a move to restrict access to this forum or at least close it to google searches?
HAHA good one. How is that going to happen? FT is not the only place that talks about MS. Think about the multitude of frequent flyer miles/points blogs that are out there (thepointsguy, millionmilesecrets, travelwithgrant, etc) that are spewing the same thing. Its not like FT is the command center of all things MS. The benefit of FT forum is that it gives a location in a forum setting to discuss about all types of MS that are out there. Restricting google searches to FT does not solve the problem nor would it stop the information leaking from the FT forum anyways.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by g1ant
Because when people who are not Flyertalk members start to google some of these terms they will find this forum. MS is NOT a case of the more the merrier. Eventually one of the links in the chain VGC, BB or C-V-S will realize what's happening and turn off the taps. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Let's hope that when that happens, you aren't one of the ones holding large amounts of beans!!!
TLDR; just like many other social groups, MSers use jargon to keep the non-members out of the loop on the inner workings on the group.

Last edited by aleck71; Feb 26, 2014 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Has there ever been a move to restrict access to this forum or at least close it to google searches?
Yes

And please let's not turn this thread into yet another discussion about restricting access.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:39 am

Glossary, Manufactured Spending Forum

A glossary specializing in manufactured spending terms. Not to be confused with FlyerTalk's main glossary found here. In the WIKI, I tried to duplicate FT's style.
I don't have very many credit card abbreviations. Feel free to add them.
If you find something missing and can't add it to the wiki yourself, feel free to post it and I'll add it. Or if you don't know what something means, feel free to ask.

Edit: Ok, creating the wiki didn't go as planned. When I did a copy and paste, all my nice neat formatting got removed. I can't add tabs. I tried adding spaces, and they got shrunk done to one space. Does anybody know how to format or add a table? For now, I'll go back and add dashes.

Last edited by Klemhuzzah; Jun 4, 2018 at 1:53 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:05 am

Some abbreviations I don't know.
CFBP - I think BP=Bill Pay, but I don't know what CF means.
CSR, CIC - credit card names I think. Found in this post.
CTR - no clue. Found in this post.
RD - redeemable ??? Found in this post.
Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
CFPB = Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/

CSR = Chase Sapphire Reserve card
CSP= Chase Sapphire Preferred card
CIC = Chase INK Cash card
CIP = Chase INK Preferred card
CFU = Chase Freedom Unlimited card

CTR = Currency Transaction Report
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curren...saction_report

RD = Reward Dollars (in the context of that specific post)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:56 am

just a slight correction for WMNM ~ NM stands for Neighborhood Market, it is also referred to as the 'hood market from time to time.

TY to @Klemhuzzah, I'm sure newbies will find this very useful.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:04 pm

Thanks for the info and correction. Added to the glossary, along with a few more I thought of.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Several dozen
MTWWHTRAKTD = Mums the word, why help the rats and kill the deals

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
Thanks for the info and correction. Added to the glossary, along with a few more I thought of.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Added to the glossary, along with a few more I thought of.
CIC - Chase Ink Cash credit card. Also called Ink.
All Chase business cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points have the word INK in their name. Mentioning INK alone does not identify the specific card. Chase sometimes inserts the word "business" in the name, but this is redundant INK = Business.

In addition to those listed in the glossary there are three discontinued INK cards: INK Bold, INK Classic and INK Plus -and- a newly announced card INK Unlimited. Most INK Bold and INK Classic accounts have been converted to another type, but many people still hold INK Plus.

Last edited by mia; Jun 5, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
All Chase business cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points have the work INK in their name. Mentioning INK alone does not identify the specific card. Chase sometimes inserts the word "business" in the name, but this is redundant INK = Business.

In addition to those listed in the glossary there are three discontinued INK cards: INK Bold, INK Classic and INK Plus -and- a newly announced card INK Unlimited. Most INK Bold and INK Classic accounts have been converted to another type, but many people still hold INK Plus.
Huh. I've always used "Ink" by itself to refer to what I thought was the default Ink card, and would use 'Ink xxxx" for other cards.. But in this case "always" means since Dec '17, which is when I got the card. I didn't even realize my Ink card was Ink Cash until I looked it up yesterday. Putting this wiki together is helping me learn a thing or two. Making corrections now.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:37 am
CDO
Suspended

Not sure it's a great idea to keep a glossary... trying to be discrete by using lingo was prolly smart.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Some abbreviations I don't know.
CFBP - I think BP=Bill Pay, but I don't know what CF means.
CFBP CheckFreePay bill pay service used by WM and many other retailers.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by CDO
Not sure it's a great idea to keep a glossary... trying to be discrete by using lingo was prolly smart.
If that turns out to be the consensus, I'll take it down. Or I'll remove the entries the majority feel are problematic.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by noassumptions
CFBP CheckFreePay bill pay service used by WM and many other retailers.
Added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.