Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Need alternative to VR...Please be kind community of FT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need alternative to VR...Please be kind community of FT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Question Need alternative to VR...Please be kind community of FT

I have been MSing for two months now. When I started VRs were plentiful at my local CVS; I would buy $1k of Mastercard Cash Cards at Office Max, then use those to buy the VRs, then load into BB.

Now, my local CVS hasn't had VRs for almost a month. They said their distributor was out and they did not know when the would be back in I can find them at another CVS across town, but I worry that my MS strategy may not be diversified enough.

Amazon Payments doesn't seem to have much upside except for the $1k per month, so what else should i look at?

I was considering the HR Block Emerald Card, and Green Dot reloads are stacked to the gills...but I worry that my novice MS experience may mean I am missing something using Green Dot.

Should I worry about relying on Green Dot reloads at CVS? Should I research another vehicle?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:19 pm

Onevanilla Visas to MO to Bank has been my back up. I throw in AmEx GC via CB portal to OV to MO to earn some profits while I'm at it.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I was just researching PayPal Debit Card > BB. I can buy the Paypal Reload at CVS, I think.

Ah, I see Bluebird taps that at $1K per month too.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
What credit cards are you using for MS? And, do you have access to a Walmart?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:56 pm

A little confused...why were you buying mastercard's and the vr's with those??
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I wouldn't plan to rely on any Greendot-related strategy for too terribly long. Most people report getting Greendot smackdowns after a little while. Like Paypal, Netspend and other channels that at first look appealing, most people find that these are not really sustainable for very long.

Visa gift cards feeding Bluebird at Walmart seems the most reliable alternative for those who don't have access to VRs.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:09 pm

i agree with Rick471. You've been missing out on a double the points. You should just buy the MC GCs (with fees) -> BB without additional fees. Any VRs you buy should be from a pts-earning card OR to drain cards difficult to drain straight to BB, like to use up am3x gcs, which then would go to a BB
Remember BB 1K/day. 5K/month.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Voyaging
i agree with Rick471. You've been missing out on a double the points. You should just buy the MC GCs (with fees) -> BB without additional fees. Any VRs you buy should be from a pts-earning card OR to drain cards difficult to drain straight to BB, like to use up am3x gcs, which then would go to a BB
Can you load MC GC into BB?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctbarron
What credit cards are you using for MS? And, do you have access to a Walmart?
Yes, i have access to both a Walmart (With the Money Center ATM) and a Neighborhood Walmart.

For credit cards, I am putting most my spend on my CSP and my Ink Bold. I am almost to the minimum spend on those. Even when I hit that threshold, I would like to continue to MS to get the URs.

Originally Posted by Rick471
A little confused...why were you buying mastercard's and the vr's with those??
Originally Posted by Voyaging
Good question - I use the Ink Card at Office Max for the cash cards (5x points) so $2K for mortgage in cash cards = 10K ultimate reward points, then the cash cards go to buy the VRs and the VRs go to pay the mortgage. Then I pay off the Bold. I know the fees are higher with the cash card, but I am happy to pay the $6 per card to get the points.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Can you load MC GC into BB?
Absolutely...You can set a PIN number to your MC GC and then load up to $1,000/day or $5,000/month to your BB. I do this often at Wal-Mart.

With MC's you just have to hit "Change Payment" on the keypad and then code it to Debit quickly. Works like a charm.

I also have written a few blog posts about this (see blog below).

Good luck!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:56 pm

So by my math, your out-of-pocket costs are as follows:

10 x $6.95 (they only sell up to $200 gift cards at OM) = $69.50
4 x $3.95 for VRs = $15.80
TOTAL = $85.30/month to pay your mortgage
TOTAL POINTS = 10 x $206.95 x 5 points/$ = 10,348 Chase UR points for $85.30

I guess it depends upon your use of the points, but I would certainly consider purchasing the VR's direct w/ an SPG Amex and lowering your cost per mile.

Just my two cents though.

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
Yes, i have access to both a Walmart (With the Money Center ATM) and a Neighborhood Walmart.

For credit cards, I am putting most my spend on my CSP and my Ink Bold. I am almost to the minimum spend on those. Even when I hit that threshold, I would like to continue to MS to get the URs.

Good question - I use the Ink Card at Office Max for the cash cards (5x points) so $2K for mortgage in cash cards = 10K ultimate reward points, then the cash cards go to buy the VRs and the VRs go to pay the mortgage. Then I pay off the Bold. I know the fees are higher with the cash card, but I am happy to pay the $6 per card to get the points.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

^ Thanks for the suggestion Dovergator, I do appreciate it. I am more worried about the availability of VRs in general.

I am new to this, so I do like the flexibility of the URs...but now I will investigate the SPG.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:22 pm

4 x $3.95 for VRs = $15.80
The part above isn't MS. A convenience fee maybe, if it's more convenient to transport the GCs to CVS instead of kioskville...
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

So, is my math correct? If I spend $70 to generate 10K points, my cost per point is 70/10000 or $.007, and if the value of URs is between $0.015 or $0.02 then I am coming out ahead.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
So, is my math correct? If I spend $70 to generate 10K points, my cost per point is 70/10000 or $.007, and if the value of URs is between $0.015 or $0.02 then I am coming out ahead.
Yes, although the value of UR's is subjective.

On your original question, if you can not find VR's, your best bet is to buy gift cards and load them onto BB at Walmart. There is a whole thread on it.

As nwflyboy noted GreenDot Money Paks are tricky. Even experienced people eventually run into problems with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.