Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Anyone using the PPBDC had any issues with PP for this? I fund PP solely via PPMC and don't want a shutdown.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:00 pm

What is the limit to pay with PP. I tried 450 didn't go through. Then I tried 390 worked fine. Does citi pay count towards 400 daily ATM limit ??
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Abflying
What is the limit to pay with PP. I tried 450 didn't go through. Then I tried 390 worked fine. Does citi pay count towards 400 daily ATM limit ??
I have paid upto 2.8k in one go using PP debit
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
PP debit transactions are limited to 3k/day, so that's not the problem. Did you check your actual outstanding balance on the credit card? You can't pay more than the current posted balance - pending does not count.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Anyone using the PPBDC had any issues with PP for this? I fund PP solely via PPMC and don't want a shutdown.
No issues so far, been doing it for a few months. I try to make multiple smaller payments (to add more diversity to my PP spending), but lately, I've had a tougher time finding a Citi rep to take a debit card. Took about 6 tries yesterday.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by floressalicis
PP debit transactions are limited to 3k/day, so that's not the problem. Did you check your actual outstanding balance on the credit card? You can't pay more than the current posted balance - pending does not count.
Thanks for Data point guys, Yes I had balance over $1k and wanted to pay outstanding balance on CC. I usually do BP at WM for 2.4K and it goes through fine. But somehow it rejected my >$400 payment to citi and took in $390 payment. Will try again.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:25 am

It's been getting harder to get a CSR that will accept a DC to pay outstanding balance. I've done 5 HUCAs and all said the same thing. I may have to think of another strategy.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Mamibear
It's been getting harder to get a CSR that will accept a DC to pay outstanding balance. I've done 5 HUCAs and all said the same thing. I may have to think of another strategy.
Which Citi cards? I've never yet had to HUCA on any of my AA cards, and I usually have the same CSR for the AA card process my other Citi cards (Hilton).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by floressalicis
Which Citi cards? I've never yet had to HUCA on any of my AA cards, and I usually have the same CSR for the AA card process my other Citi cards (Hilton).
I don't actually know if it's connected to any cards. I've had 6 HUCA's to get 1 payment and only after I convinced the supervisor that I was in the middle of the process when I got disconnected.

My cards have been TY Premier, Hilton Reserve and AA Mastercard.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
delete
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Thanks for Data point guys, Yes I had balance over $1k and wanted to pay outstanding balance on CC. I usually do BP at WM for 2.4K and it goes through fine. But somehow it rejected my >$400 payment to citi and took in $390 payment. Will try again.
I actually was told by the CSR that my payment was rejected, but when I logged into PP afterward, it had gone through. Flat $3k.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by coolblues
I have paid upto 2.8k in one go using PP debit
I've done $750.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:33 am

Ok but how recently? $400 is the daily ATM limit. They must've changed the way these txns are processed.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
So far, no.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Anyone tried to pay with a debit card over live chat? I got distracted while on the Citi payments screen, and when I came back there was a live chat window offering to help me set up a payment. Happy to experiment myself, but thought I'd check in case someone has already tested it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.