Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
You can always open another account with a different email address.
from what I read from another poster that tried re-registering for a new PP account, his account worked for one month IINM and then it was closed again. PPal will definitely catch up because they ask for SSN so even if we change our personal info, we can't get another SSN; we can probably register someone else with their permission but that would entail some inconvinience regarding bank accounts.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
from what I read from another poster that tried re-registering for a new PP account, his account worked for one month IINM and then it was closed again. PPal will definitely catch up because they ask for SSN so even if we change our personal info, we can't get another SSN; we can probably register someone else with their permission but that would entail some inconvinience regarding bank accounts.
Maybe it's a very recent development, but IME it was not necessary to provide SSN. There were 2 other options to confirm identity and lift withdrawal limits. They do periodically flash a nag screen for the SSN. I would not sign up for any of their services that require SSN, e.g. debit card or PP credit. They're a borderline criminal joint, and it's unwise provide them any sensitive info including your real checking acct (give them one you don't use for any other purpose).
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Would it make a difference, if I "Register" the card first?
I registered a Metabank VGC with my name and address, and it did NOT help. When Citi tried to charge a payment on it, it still got rejected.

Last edited by MaxVO; Oct 25, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:27 pm

My mall has Sunrise VGC, I see those are on the "no" list in the wiki. That's too bad, as they're probably the easiest cards to get in bulk
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Anyone ever paid a citi cc using a citi debit card? Bad idea?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:13 pm

What would be the point? Would there be any points?

You're treading dangerously close to revealing your hand if you're thinking about what I think you're thinking about.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
What would be the point? Would there be any points?

You're treading dangerously close to revealing your hand if you're thinking about what I think you're thinking about.
Citigold acct requires a $1k debit card purchase for bonus... and yeah...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by unifer
Citigold acct requires a $1k debit card purchase for bonus... and yeah...
JFC. Just go buy a MO for 70 cent fee or whatever it is in your area. This isn't that difficult.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky888
JFC. Just go buy a MO for 70 cent fee or whatever it is in your area. This isn't that difficult.
Apparently you haven't been outside in NYC today
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:59 pm

Had a very productive phone call tonight with a very nice agent.

After I made my payment, I asked if there were any offers on my card. Unfortunately no but he gave me 1,000 courtesy miles. I then asked if I could make a payment on another card. After the payment was processed, I asked if there were offers on that card. He said no and asked me if there was anything else I needed. Of course I asked for courtesy miles on that card. He said, "I had a feeling that's what you were going to say. I just added 1,000 miles to your account."
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:37 pm

Successfully paid using NW Buxx as an authorized user on AA Platinum Business. Agent needed the business account number (not the primary CC number).
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:16 pm

Anyone get shutdown in the recent wave of Citi shutdowns for this? I know they're not giving explanations, so I guess what I mean is anyone get shut down who wasn't doing anything else that would appear to explain it (heavy MS etc).
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
For two days I have been unable to use my Navy Federal GO prepaid Visa debit card to pay my Citi Double Cash MC. I called in once yesterday and again today and I've been told the payment would not go through, and that there was an "error" with the payment.

I have successfully made many payments with this card since about a year ago, the last time being 1/25/16. In fact I've never had a single problem with any of those payments. I did attempt to pay just over $5k this time, which is the highest payment amount I've tried, but I'm not aware of any transaction limits on my GO card. Perhaps none of the various GO cards out there work anymore.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by SilentBopper
For two days I have been unable to use my Navy Federal GO prepaid Visa debit card to pay my Citi Double Cash MC. I called in once yesterday and again today and I've been told the payment would not go through, and that there was an "error" with the payment.

I have successfully made many payments with this card since about a year ago, the last time being 1/25/16. In fact I've never had a single problem with any of those payments. I did attempt to pay just over $5k this time, which is the highest payment amount I've tried, but I'm not aware of any transaction limits on my GO card. Perhaps none of the various GO cards out there work anymore.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
I never tried my GO card for this, so I don't have an good answer for you. You're correct though that there shouldn't be any transaction limit as long as you have the funds available. I'm just curious if you're still earning rewards somehow with the NFCU Go card. I thought it's been dead for MS since last summer. I've been putting small test loads on mine every month just in case with no success.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:06 am

I called and was denied. I wonder if Citi is blocking payments or my debit card

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.