Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:43 am

Has anyone been able to successfully pay with a PayPower debit card? I didn't have any luck.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Just paid my Citi Dividend card, easily, no issues. CS rep (in Missouri) went to the payment page on her computer, verified that the card was in my name/address info and also saved my Debit card for future payments.

BTW I used my ST Delta debit card.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by sgideons
Called in to pay AAdvantage:

Me: Hi I'd like to make a payment.
Citi: Sure, I just need the routing and account number for your checking account.
Me: I'd like to pay with a debit card.
Citi: We only allow payments from a checking account.
Me: So it's not possible to make a payment with a debit card?
Citi: No.

I didn't feel like playing agent roulette so I just went to Walmart. Neat trick if you can get it to work though.
Exact same thing happened to me last night
Wanted to try paying card with my gobank debit card
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just a note, if your card has a zero balance (but you have pending charges you want to prepay) you won't be able to prepay. Just tried this morning. She attempted it and got an error.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by traveler9020
Just for future reference, the ability to pay a Citi CC with a debit card has always been there. It's clearly spelled out in the card agreement under the section entitled "Payment Instructions" and states;

"...You must pay us in U.S. Dollars. To do so, you must use a check, similar instrument, or electronic debit that is drawn on and honored by a bank in the U.S...."
I'm not sure this necessarily includes debit cards. To me, electronic debit sounds like an ACH pull from your checking account. Obviously Citi is allowing this for some people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the agreement guarantees you the ability to pay with a debit card.

Still, ^ to the OP.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma
I'm not sure this necessarily includes debit cards. To me, electronic debit sounds like an ACH pull from your checking account. Obviously Citi is allowing this for some people, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the agreement guarantees you the ability to pay with a debit card.

Still, ^ to the OP.
When you use your debit card, it is an ACH pull from your checking account. In the United States, it's been like that since 2010. From CITI's perspective, processing your debit card through ACH (Automated Clearing House) is no different than an ACH pull. They just want your money.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by subdawg
Has anyone been able to successfully pay with a PayPower debit card? I didn't have any luck.
Worked for me with a temporary unregistered PayPower for $500. I activated and set the PIN and that was all I did.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
Worked for me with a temporary unregistered PayPower for $500. I activated and set the PIN and that was all I did.
address of your debit card will need to match the address of your cc. Did you by any chance accidentally set the address of your paypower?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
address of your debit card will need to match the address of your cc. Did you by any chance accidentally set the address of your paypower?
Nope. Also worked with my unregistred $495 Univison card with no PIN.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
Nope. Also worked with my unregistred $495 Univison card with no PIN.
I tried doing this exact thing, but it did not work with me. To be fair, it also did not work at the register.

I had to call in and provide my name & address, but no social (did not want PIN).

Did you call in for the Univision card before paying Citi?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:57 pm

When you use your debit card, it is an ACH pull from your checking account. In the United States, it's been like that since 2010. From CITI's perspective, processing your debit card through ACH (Automated Clearing House) is no different than an ACH pull. They just want your money.
does this work with any other bank? or only citi at the moment? thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lemma

Still, ^ to the OP.
Debit card transactions are run through different networks with different fee structures though.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:26 pm

Anyone think this will work with AFT? That one always gets denied at WM
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
does this work with any other bank? or only citi at the moment? thanks!
Just tried with my US Bank Flexperks Card and was turned down by the CSR. So I think US Bank is out.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:18 pm

I have a TD go in my name. I wonder if I can pay as an AU on my wife's card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.