Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:02 pm

Just tried to pay with a Vanilla Visa GC (BankCorp). Registered my zip beforehand.

Rep said she was getting a "Transaction not permitted to cardholder" error and could not process the payment.

Last edited by dedkends; Feb 12, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amolkold
Actually, I was able to do a $1000 mobile payment on the AA Exec card, and then a payment for the balance (>$9000) the next day on the web by pulling it from my bank account.

But I would have used MVD if I had known. Oh well.
No worries. Once my Exec comes in the mail, I will load up my MVD with $2,500 and see how it goes. Should be fine as stated in the post above!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Wife just called in to pay down her balance (this was not to generate MS specifically, it's to allow her to meet the spend requirement on a Citi card that came with a ridiculously low credit line, so she has to make a couple payments each month to hit her minimum spend while staying below 100% credit utilization).

As reported upthread, CSR was friendly and easy to deal with. Was not transferred to "collections", the CSR who came online first was able to complete the transaction. CSR initially said she was not used to doing debit card payments and had to remember how to log in to some separate page/system to do that, but was able to do it. Only things asked were:
- is name on debit card same as on CC account
- is address on debit card same as on CC account
- debit card number, expiration date and security code
- how much she wanted to pay
Smooth and easy.

FWIW, I agree with all the posters here urging caution - I would not use this as a shortcut to churn MS since it seems pretty fragile. We will be using this a couple more times for small amounts just to stay under her credit limit. I fear that the lack of restraint so often evidenced here will wreck this quickly. I hope I'll be proved wrong about that.
My experience was very similar. I used a BofA Alaska Debit card (still earns miles until end of May!). I'll see if I get miles for it at the end of the month. I was asked all the questions listed above and helped by the rep that answered the call - I did not ask to be transferred and there was apparently no need for it, so I would not ask for the collections department off the bat! Just state that you'd like to make a payment with a debit card. She also asked if I wanted to keep the debit card information on file so that when I called in to make a payment with the card again I wouldn't have to answer the same questions.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
apparently wells fargo can also take debit cards
but, according to CSR "your account has to be in collections like really bad"

but nevertheless this could be a good option for those who want to take part in the wells fargo 5X promo but are approved for a terribly low CL (been there done that and only wish I knew about this trick earlier when it really could have come in handy)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Is it possible that the reason why metabank cards don't work is that, citi systems are unable to auto determine the transaction pin, even though we are not asked for it? The transaction descriptions of most of the successful transactions indicate that the cards were run as pin based debit transactions. Therefore, I wonder if there is a way for CSR to enter a definite correct pin, and whether or not the transaction can then go through?

Just a thought

Also, for the person that asked,

Yes, Bancorp cards do in fact work. a Bancorp card is what I first used when I discovered that this does in fact work with prepaids in the first place

Anyone agree or better yet test out my theory on meta bank GCs? is there a way for citi CSR to manually enter pin number
Also,
anyone know the phone # to meta bank Visa CSR? I would like to atleast ask them whether or not they even see the citibank "purchase" the # on the back of my GC only leads to an automated system with no option to talk to live agent
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:06 pm

Anyone agree or better yet test out my theory on meta bank GCs? is there a way for citi CSR to manually enter pin number
Also,
anyone know the phone # to meta bank Visa CSR? I would like to atleast ask them whether or not they even see the citibank "purchase" the # on the back of my GC only leads to an automated system with no option to talk to live agent
You're just asking for trouble to pay Citi with a vgc

If the system isn't allowing it, you're better off.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:42 pm

Edit answered my own question meta bank cards continue to be a no go
Also asked csr if they have the ability to enter debit card pins
CSR said no
their system does not allow it

its something on citi's end that blocks it
I called metabank and they say they didn't see any activity declined or otherwise on the account!!

maybe it blocks cards for "obvious amounts" like $500?
in my successful test run, I had a card that only had $35 on it

Last edited by rgAAFT; Feb 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:04 pm

Edit answered my own question meta bank cards continue to be a no go
Also asked csr if they have the ability to enter debit card pins
CSR said no
their system does not allow it

its something on citi's end that blocks it
I called metabank and they say they didn't see any activity declined or otherwise on the account!!

maybe it blocks cards for "obvious amounts" like $500?
in my successful test run, I had a card that only had $35 on it
Doubt it. There's no reason someone wouldn't want to pay $500 towards their CC outside of MS. That would result in it blocking a whole lot of legitimate payments for that amount.

It's possible that the reason why is because they're processing it as a CA (which Metabank does not allow)?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:07 pm

Talking

I just used my credit union's debit card for a 1k payment through a regular csr. No, I didn't earn any points/miles, but I really needed to make credit available for my 5k limit exec card because that statement closing date in creeping up way too fast and the 3 day weekend is no help in order for regular payments to hit and another transactions to post. Without this thread, I don't think I would have made spending in time. Thanks guys!!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by focusmmuter
I just used my credit union's debit card for a 1k payment through a regular csr. No, I didn't earn any points/miles, but I really needed to make credit available for my 5k limit exec card because that statement closing date in creeping up way too fast and the 3 day weekend is no help in order for regular payments to hit and another transactions to post. Without this thread, I don't think I would have made spending in time. Thanks guys!!
Just for future reference, the ability to pay a Citi CC with a debit card has always been there. It's clearly spelled out in the card agreement under the section entitled "Payment Instructions" and states;

"...You must pay us in U.S. Dollars. To do so, you must use a check, similar instrument, or electronic debit that is drawn on and honored by a bank in the U.S...."
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
liquidated my TD with no problems. Thanks OP
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Has anyone tried this with paying off a US Bank Flexperks Visa card? Any data points would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Called in to pay AAdvantage:

Me: Hi I'd like to make a payment.
Citi: Sure, I just need the routing and account number for your checking account.
Me: I'd like to pay with a debit card.
Citi: We only allow payments from a checking account.
Me: So it's not possible to make a payment with a debit card?
Citi: No.

I didn't feel like playing agent roulette so I just went to Walmart. Neat trick if you can get it to work though.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by traveler9020
Just for future reference, the ability to pay a Citi CC with a debit card has always been there. It's clearly spelled out in the card agreement under the section entitled "Payment Instructions" and states;

"...You must pay us in U.S. Dollars. To do so, you must use a check, similar instrument, or electronic debit that is drawn on and honored by a bank in the U.S...."
^

I really should go ahead and try this. Worst they can say, "no".
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sgideons
Called in to pay AAdvantage:

Me: Hi I'd like to make a payment.
Citi: Sure, I just need the routing and account number for your checking account.
Me: I'd like to pay with a debit card.
Citi: We only allow payments from a checking account.
Me: So it's not possible to make a payment with a debit card?
Citi: No.

I didn't feel like playing agent roulette so I just went to Walmart. Neat trick if you can get it to work though.

Hahahaha this is too true with anything Citi-wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.