Search

Chase Q2 5% Double Dip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Chase Q2 5% Double Dip

Before anyone gets too excited, I'm curious to see what options people have for a double dip on the Lowe's Q2 5% Freedom deal. I spend a great deal on gas, so I'm going to at least be going to Lowe's to get a bunch of GC at 5%, but am going to come in short for an UR redemption so I'm curious to see if there are any known Double Dips.

I looked at HIGC at Lowe's and then using through a portal online, but that doesn't seem to be usable anywhere that I can get a gas card online and go through a portal.

According to FM Lab you can't use Lowe's GC to buy another GC, so that idea is out too.

I'd rather not deal with VGC, but if the return is decent enough I would consider it. I'm trying to keep this to one or two hops so I don't have to spend even more money on gas to get the points, which would defeat the whole purpose. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Before anyone gets too excited, I'm curious to see what options people have for a double dip on the Lowe's Q2 5% Freedom deal. I spend a great deal on gas, so I'm going to at least be going to Lowe's to get a bunch of GC at 5%, but am going to come in short for an UR redemption so I'm curious to see if there are any known Double Dips.

I looked at HIGC at Lowe's and then using through a portal online, but that doesn't seem to be usable anywhere that I can get a gas card online and go through a portal.

According to FM Lab you can't use Lowe's GC to buy another GC, so that idea is out too.

I'd rather not deal with VGC, but if the return is decent enough I would consider it. I'm trying to keep this to one or two hops so I don't have to spend even more money on gas to get the points, which would defeat the whole purpose. Anyone have any ideas?
Bottom line is that you can't double dip for Lowe's since you can't buy gift cards online. Just spend your $1500 buying GCs at Lowes in store during Q2. Also keep in mind that restaurants are going to be 5% as well on Chase Freedom so you should be able to max out the $1500.

Btw, FW also confirms that you can't use Lowe's GC to buy other GCs
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1001041/
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Bottom line is that you can't double dip for Lowe's since you can't buy gift cards online. Just spend your $1500 buying GCs at Lowes in store during Q2. Also keep in mind that restaurants are going to be 5% as well on Chase Freedom so you should be able to max out the $1500.
Yeah, that won't be a problem, I'm just looking to double dip when possible right now. Q2 is the one quarter I wouldn't have to MS to meet the $1500. I'm only going to miss this Q by a couple hundred.

I might end up buying gas cards to max out this Q so that I have more free to max out next Q, that might be my best bet when we get to the end of March.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't know if this is an option for you, as it's a small bracket, but you can have two Freedoms. There are many reports on Fico of individuals downgrading their CSP for a second Freedom card.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by healthnut
I don't know if this is an option for you, as it's a small bracket, but you can have two Freedoms. There are many reports on Fico of individuals downgrading their CSP for a second Freedom card.
While that's a solution for a different problem, it doesn't work for me, as I just want to increase the p/$ instead of the number of $ resulting in points.

Plus I need my CSP for UR transfers. =P
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PainCorp
While that's a solution for a different problem, it doesn't work for me, as I just want to increase the p/$ instead of the number of $ resulting in points.

Plus I need my CSP for UR transfers. =P
Ohhh I'm sorry I read it wrong...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:00 pm

It's getting harder and harder. Chase has made policy to restrict one product each customer.
Originally Posted by healthnut
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Chase Q2 5% Double Dip

Do you guys know if GC bought at Rest/Food count?

And how do you get Q1 gas #s? -4 is a no, is the Vale, Co a good VGC destination this winter?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra
Do you guys know if GC bought at Rest/Food count?

And how do you get Q1 gas #s? -4 is a no, is the Vale, Co a good VGC destination this winter?
Yes you can buy GCs at the restaurants and it will count as a restaurant purchase. So if you are short of the $1500 at the end of the 3 months, you could just go on a restaurant GC shopping spree and buy GCs at restaurants that you know will use the entire gift balance to lock in the 5%.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by bulletin2007
It's getting harder and harder. Chase has made policy to restrict one product each customer.
I have two Freedoms. One is a Mastercard and one is a VISA. ^
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:02 pm

for 1st quarter it is movies as well .. could you buy movie gift cards to help reach the 1500? since i am lagging behind big time
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:01 pm

Of course, but what would you do with $1,500 of movie gift cards??
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
Step back and think about this for a second.
If you're already at a restaurant(movie) then yes, use this card to pay the bill.
If you can expense your meals, use this card.

However if you're buying a GC at its face value just to earn 5x points, don't do it.
The discount on restaurant & movie GCs is regularly at 10% or more.
Just take a look at some GC trading sites.

You can't take advantage of every offer out there.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalk77
If you're already at a restaurant(movie) then yes, use this card to pay the bill.

However if you're buying a GC at its face value just to earn 5x points, don't do it.

Exactly..buying a $500 grocery GC is different than buying a $500 movie GC. The grocery gc is guaranteed to be used up rather quickly and are essential while a $500 movie GC is going to take years to use up and you have your funds tied up that is not essential to life. I would only buy GCs that I know for sure that I am planning to use within the next month or 2.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyertalk77

If you use your points for straight cash back, that is a better deal, yes. But if you transfer the points you can get much better than 10% back when used with a partner.

Last edited by PainCorp; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.