Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by thepaul500
Cant edit the wiki, but just ran into a 10 checks in 7 days limit with Simple.
Link to fees & limits from the Simple thread.

https://www.simple.com/policies/phot...eposit-limits/
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:09 am

Anyone have any luck with Discover Bank MO deposits lately? I'm trying to get a WM MO through and it just keeps kicking it out for image quality but everything looks fine
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Haleyb
Open an account with a back that allows MO deposits and use their bill pay. Since Simple encourages MO deposits it seems to be a good option. Several of us are trying it out right now and so far it is pretty good. 9 day holds on MO deposits at first, but that is fairly easy to plan around.
Another issue with Simple is they are not entirely partnered with banks enough to do electronic payments. Chase works fine and goes within a few days; however, AMEX and Citi can take upwards of a week to deliver payment. So that is just days tacked onto the nine day initial hold.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by healthnut
Another issue with Simple is they are not entirely partnered with banks enough to do electronic payments. Chase works fine and goes within a few days; however, AMEX and Citi can take upwards of a week to deliver payment. So that is just days tacked onto the nine day initial hold.
You can setup ACH pull from the banks.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lad2
You can setup ACH pull from the banks.
Very true, except not helpful when you want to pay first statements and you need to push through a payment..
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Data point - ATM deposit of ~999 to US Bank. Cleared within 1 day
ATM deposit to Chase - 1k - Cleared within 1 day too
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Penfed just released a mobile app. I downloaded it today. The T&Cs mention that you can deposit USPS mos. I called to ask if they accept other brands of MOs. The rep and supervisor were both clueless. I will test it out and report back. Also, Penfed is really hit or miss with customer service. Most of their reps can answer only basic questions.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: 1&2
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Penfed just released a mobile app. I downloaded it today. The T&Cs mention that you can deposit USPS mos. I called to ask if they accept other brands of MOs. The rep and supervisor were both clueless. I will test it out and report back. Also, Penfed is really hit or miss with customer service. Most of their reps can answer only basic questions.
Online FAQ for Deposit Anywhere (check scan edition) seems to require an active Complete Access checking account. Perhaps the mobile app doesn't have the same requirements. Also, PenFed likes to do a credit pull when you open a new account, even if you already have accounts.

https://www.penfed.org/deposit-anywhere/
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:56 am

I have deposited just under $12000 in MOs to my USAA checking this month using my cell phone (Deposit@Mobile) and my PC (Deposit@home). Funds are available immediately.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:23 am

Anyone tried to apply for Simple this month?

I entered my email through the website about two weeks and haven't seen anything. Not even a "you are on a waiting list" type of email. Are they still referral only or maybe my email got lost and I need to reapply?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
I have deposited just under $12000 in MOs to my USAA checking this month using my cell phone (Deposit@Mobile) and my PC (Deposit@home). Funds are available immediately.
Smh. This won't last long.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by nmp0

I entered my email through the website about two weeks and haven't seen anything. Not even a "you are on a waiting list" type of email. Are they still referral only or maybe my email got lost and I need to reapply?
I'm in the same boat. I've been waiting about two weeks and haven't heard a peep.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by nmp0

I applied 2 weeks ago, got denied. Didn't hear back from them so I clicked on the link I'd received to apply, got the bad news. Guess they don't look too favorably on numerous recent apps.

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Smh. This won't last long.
^
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Guess they don't look too favorably on numerous recent apps.

^
Likewise. They wrote the possible reasons they might deny an app. One reason is 4+ Chex inquires in the past year can kill an app. I have well over 4 inquires. Guess I can try again when some inquiries fall off.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Now we have Chex reference. I asked once here if they use it.
Do you folks realize that very probable AA from Bancorp side would leave negative mark in Chex?

It's not like prepaid account shut down, with nearly no concequences...
Or my concerns are ungrounded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.