Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by dmac1418
For the Citi app to accept my latest MG MO, I had to stick the receipt stub back where it normally goes. Neither the ATM or app would accept it without the stub.

This may be normal for Citi, I don't normally use my account with them for MOs.
Interesting, I had not thought of trying that.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Can I deposit MOs at Citibank ATMs? I don't care if I get shutdown for MSing.
Thanks,
JCD
Today I tried depositing a MoneyGram MO at CitiBank ATM and it spit it out multiple times.
The machine says I need to talk to a Bank teller, anybody have any experience with that?
JCD
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:41 pm

Today I tried depositing a MoneyGram MO at CitiBank ATM and it spit it out multiple times.
The machine says I need to talk to a Bank teller, anybody have any experience with that?
JCD
Try this post #1274
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26972630-post1274.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Thanks dude, I will try that
Last time I tried depositing a MO to Citibank through the app it locked my account and then I got a rejection letter in the mail.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: All the programs!
Thanks dude, I will try that
Last time I tried depositing a MO to Citibank through the app it locked my account and then I got a rejection letter in the mail.
Similar result here. The letter said the MG MO was not legible.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by oopl
Similar result here. The letter said the MG MO was not legible.
My next step is to keep the receipt stub attached and try the ATM again.
:fingers crossed:
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:07 pm

Welp, UFB direct just closed my account. Started doing like 7k a month about 3 months ago after not having deposited anything there for like 6 months before that. Guess that freaked them out.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Update everyone -

Schwab finally completely closed my account. I get a letter in the mail indicating the account had been shut down. I had not used the account since they shut down my mobile deposit functionality. The letter was dated September 1, 2016 - so a bit under six months since the deactivated mobile deposit. A day later I received a check in the mail for the remaining balance, which was only a few dollars.

If anyone has previously been shut down by schwab I would be curious if they any additional information to share - ability to reopen the account, or if there were other implications such as reporting to ChexSystems, for example.

Thanks.

Update to anyone that is curious.
I ordered my free ChexSystems report. It shows a schwab inquiry from when the account was opened a couple of years ago, but no negative report as to the closure.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Fretman
Welp, UFB direct just closed my account. Started doing like 7k a month about 3 months ago after not having deposited anything there for like 6 months before that. Guess that freaked them out.
Does that surprise you?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:09 pm

Just tried several times to deposit a WU MO to Suntrust and kept failing, telling me the amount I was entered was incorrect.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Bank accepted then reversed my MO deposit. Are MO funds immed. avail to re-deposit?

If a MO clears to your bank acct, then gets reversed, is it necessary to wait before re-depositing it to a different bank account?

The situation: I deposited a MG via mobile deposit to a bank. I've done the same MGs to the same bank via mobile deposits in the past in small / sporadic quantities. The deposit cleared and posted as of 9/21. Today I logged-in and I see "Debit Adjustment" on 9/23 for the exact amount of the deposit. I called the bank just wondering what happened since there was no indication of why it was reversed. They CSR had no information from her end about what happened so she seemed to think it was due to me entering the wrong $$ amount or something to that effect. She indicated the only way to deposit it now is to go into a branch of this bank (aka, I cannot try to redeposit to the same institution via mobile app). I do not live near this bank so I'll have to deposit it to a different, local bank... I'm just wondering, should I wait a day or two? Is it possible the MO funds wouldn't be available for the subsequent deposit to alternate bank?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas
If a MO clears to your bank acct, then gets reversed, is it necessary to wait before re-depositing it to a different bank account?

The situation: I deposited a MG via mobile deposit to a bank. I've done the same MGs to the same bank via mobile deposits in the past in small / sporadic quantities. The deposit cleared and posted as of 9/21. Today I logged-in and I see "Debit Adjustment" on 9/23 for the exact amount of the deposit. I called the bank just wondering what happened since there was no indication of why it was reversed. They CSR had no information from her end about what happened so she seemed to think it was due to me entering the wrong $$ amount or something to that effect. She indicated the only way to deposit it now is to go into a branch of this bank (aka, I cannot try to redeposit to the same institution via mobile app). I do not live near this bank so I'll have to deposit it to a different, local bank... I'm just wondering, should I wait a day or two? Is it possible the MO funds wouldn't be available for the subsequent deposit to alternate bank?
Check with MG as to whether the MO shows cashed or not in their system. Something similar happened to me with WU MO and it took two months to get my money back from WU. I did not attempt to deposit anywhere else because WU showed it was already cashed.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:27 pm

My next step is to keep the receipt stub attached and try the ATM again.
:fingers crossed:
This also failed, had to go through the teller.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:55 pm

2x WU MO at Suntrust ATM worked after failing with the mobile app.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
2x WU MO at Suntrust ATM worked after failing with the mobile app.
I sometimes have problems with it reading them correctly, but the atm always accepts them ... ... eventually.

Last edited by CWAL; Sep 27, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.