Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:02 am

Just confirming MOs can be deposited at BoA ATMs. There is one a few steps away from my local WM money center
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Just confirming MOs can be deposited at BoA ATMs. There is one a few steps away from my local WM money center
Yes, I do it frequently because it's next to my goto WM
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Yes, I do it frequently because it's next to my goto WM
Yup ^
How many MOs do you deposit per month? I have had my BoA account for almost 15 years and I don't want to sh*t where I eat...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Having a long time relationship, and real money on deposit will be looked at differently than someone who blows in and starts depositing and withdrawing MOs.

Its not Rocket Science its Pocket Science.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:57 pm

For those of you using LMCU, how do you like it? I read elsewhere that their mobile app is terrible but that was a post from 2014 maybe things are better now? I see they have a $5 fee if the account goes below $300. It shouldn't be difficult to keep that much in there at any time but even with the fee I guess it is a pretty cheap option if they have good use of mobile money order deposits.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BrownHP800
For those of you using LMCU, how do you like it? I read elsewhere that their mobile app is terrible but that was a post from 2014 maybe things are better now? I see they have a $5 fee if the account goes below $300. It shouldn't be difficult to keep that much in there at any time but even with the fee I guess it is a pretty cheap option if they have good use of mobile money order deposits.
Tried first MG MO w/ LMCU mobile app over the weekend -- 3 biz day hold. Wanted to accelerate some minimum spend for some HH points. Probably won't do it again there though... Java Cool Dude said it best:

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
I have had my BoA account for almost 15 years and I don't want to sh*t where I eat...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:25 am

any hints as far as what local cu's accept mo via mobile deposit? I don't want to fire off a bunch of credit hits only to find out the mobile app doesn't support money orders. looking for some insight into doing this correctly without burning a bunch of banks and leaking information on a good thing. is it best to just call and ask?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by isriam
any hints as far as what local cu's accept mo via mobile deposit? I don't want to fire off a bunch of credit hits only to find out the mobile app doesn't support money orders. looking for some insight into doing this correctly without burning a bunch of banks and leaking information on a good thing. is it best to just call and ask?
Your best bet is to read the T&C for their mobile deposit app. Both the website FAQ type and the actual legalese T&C. If it doesn't forbid MO, you should be good. If you can't find the T&C (rare, but has happened to me a couple times) I would say calling and asking isn't a completely unabashedly terrible idea if you don't even have an account there yet.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by lumangoy
I just opened an account at Talmer Bank because of their $250 bonus. I asked the rep of my account could get shutdown because I will be depositing MOs. She said no. We shall see.

Do any of you use the debit cards for these checking accounts other than depositing MOs?
I had an account with Talmer and they sent me a letter that they no longer wish to continue their banking relationship with me.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:43 am

I wanted to load my data points and hopefully get some advice; tit for tat if you will.

Anyone who is eligible for Popular Community Bank should consider opening an account with them for mobile MO deposit. The available balance shows as the next day even if the deposit is pending. Items clear in 2 days. They are Chex inquiry sensitive it seems as they placed a temporary hold to make sure it was me paying bills.

My question concerns volume with BoA. I do not value my relationship with them so am not worried about shutdown; just in riding the gravy train for as long as I can. I want to do about $25k a month with them if possible. Any recent shutdown datapoints with them recently?. I have read EVERY thread in this post and absorbed as much as I can. I plan to add data points regularly as I get them.

edit: Lol, they just called and shut me down at Popular. Only deposited $2500 :/

Last edited by jevans189; Apr 14, 2016 at 12:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:29 pm

According to the Suntrust website, the mobile app does NOT allow depositing of MOs via app.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

http://answers.suntrust.com/articles...Mobile-Deposit
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by raceman94
According to the Suntrust website, the mobile app does NOT allow depositing of MOs via app.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

http://answers.suntrust.com/articles...Mobile-Deposit
Tried one WU a few months ago and it was denied. ATM and teller since then.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
should people open business checking accounts for money order deposit? my impression is that business checking accounts are much looser on money order deposit.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
should people open business checking accounts for money order deposit? my impression is that business checking accounts are much looser on money order deposit.
I had a conversation with one of the friendly bank managers who I asked if I have to open a small business checking for my deposits. She said it was up to me but there was no need because they use KYC (know your customer) as their basis for people who bank with them. Since I've banked with them for years now, they know my deposit/withdraw pattern so I can just keep depositing all my checks to my personal c/a. She said if I needed to open a business C/A, that'll be fine, too.

She went further saying they had customers they suspected of doing ML who opened new accounts, deposited huge amounts and then withdrew them in huge batches in a week or so. I didn't pry how huge those deposits were They closed those accounts soon as they noticed the pattern.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mamibear
She went further saying they had customers they suspected of doing ML who opened new accounts, deposited huge amounts and then withdrew them in huge batches in a week or so. I didn't pry how huge those deposits were They closed those accounts soon as they noticed the pattern.

It's amazing how many people here think this OK to do.

Having real money on deposit will enable the "know your customer" rule to be in effect even if you don't step foot in the bank/CU and allow MO deposits to made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.