Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by pillow25
Yeah no problems with my iPhone 5S. A small trick with WM MOs is to leave the receipt thing attached at the end of the MOs when doing the mobile deposit.
Damn, I wonder why it wasn't working for me. Hopefully it just has something to do with the mobile deposit glitch that they claim they know about and are trying to fix.

I'll keep the receipt attached next time. I needed the cash soon so I just deposited the $1500 to a local bank that I don't use often.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I'll keep the receipt attached next time. I needed the cash soon so I just deposited the $1500 to a local bank that I don't use often.
Yup, that did the trick. No problem with Schwab when leaving the receipt on the MG MO from WM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:13 pm

Yup, that did the trick. No problem with Schwab when leaving the receipt on the MG MO from WM.
Ughh, just got an email that Schwab couldn't accept the MG MO and to call them. Fun!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:36 am

Guys.. I am stuck with Visa PIN enabled gift cards and I am trying to get rid of them. Can someone let me know where can I buy Money Orders with them ? Will Western Union accept gift cards to pay for MOs? How are you guys buying them ?

I have a DCU account and am trying to use the online deposit as stated in the wiki.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:10 pm

Oh, the joys of MS.

Purchased $500 WU MO in mid April. Deposited it in CU account using mobile banking app. App crashes while deposit is being submitted. No confirmation of submission succeeding. Second attempt made to deposit same money order goes through successfully.

Both submissions get credited to account. Someone at bank apparently notices same MO submitted twice. $500 deducted from account. Two days later, letter received from CU indicating that WU's bank refused payment on grounds that MO was altered. CU deducts another $500 from account and charges $10 fee for returned MO.

Call CU to ask why second deduction was made from account. CSR from CU says it was because MO has returned on grounds that it was altered. I still have original MO and insist that isn't the case. Only anomaly is that MO is signed by purchaser in space for purchaser's address and not space for signature. CU insists this is why payment was refused and why second $500 was deducted from my account.

Call WU to check on status of MO. WU CSR says that MO was cashed and instructs me to send in documentation and affidavit describing what happened.

Fast forward five weeks. Response received from WU indicating that CU submitted MO for payment twice. First presentment was paid. Second presentment was rejected on grounds that MO had already been paid.

For those keeping score at home:

2 $500 credits made to my account
2 $500 deductions made to my account
$500 received by CU from WU
I have a money order for which CU was paid, but which I cannot cash

Go to CU branch office today. CSR can't understand the situation, can't tell me why second $500 deduction was made to my account and can't tell me if CU presented MO for payment twice (which WU confirmed).

I realize that this entire situation is a result of the fact that I submitted the same money order for deposit a second time after the app crashed while the first deposit was made. However, I would like to think that my CU's back office could properly handle such situations. In their defense, they may have been confused by the fact that the communication received from WU's bank indicated that payment was refused on the grounds that the money order was altered, while the real reason that it was refused is because it had already been paid. Nonetheless, that does not excuse the fact that the CU was paid for my MO and did not credit my account.

Went to the CU today and had a somewhat heated discussion with CSR. Eventually agreed to open inquiry for CU's back office to investigate.

Not looking for sympathy. Just wanted to share my experience, so that others don't make the same mistake that I did.

Last edited by kharlamov; Jun 3, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:40 pm

However, I would like to think that my CU's back office could properly handle such situations.
It is never safe to assume anything especially when it involves one's finances. it is best to inquire and find out before re-sending deposits via mobile banking.

thanks kharlamov for sharing your experience.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:13 am

Deleted - wrong thread

Last edited by Drew777; Jun 4, 2015 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:46 am

I think you're in the wrong thread.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:54 am

I think you're in the wrong thread.
Sorry about that, thought I was posting in another thread. Misread the title I guess.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:15 pm

Ok, so Schwab FINALLY accepted a MG MO with the mobile app. The rejected ones had light ink, and the accepted one was dark and easy to read. So I know to only try for the dark ink ones with Schwab.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by kharlamov
Oh, the joys of MS.

Purchased $500 WU MO in mid April. Deposited it in CU account using mobile banking app. App crashes while deposit is being submitted. No confirmation of submission succeeding. Second attempt made to deposit same money order goes through successfully.

Both submissions get credited to account. Someone at bank apparently notices same MO submitted twice. $500 deducted from account. Two days later, letter received from CU indicating that WU's bank refused payment on grounds that MO was altered. CU deducts another $500 from account and charges $10 fee for returned MO.

Call CU to ask why second deduction was made from account. CSR from CU says it was because MO has returned on grounds that it was altered. I still have original MO and insist that isn't the case. Only anomaly is that MO is signed by purchaser in space for purchaser's address and not space for signature. CU insists this is why payment was refused and why second $500 was deducted from my account.

Call WU to check on status of MO. WU CSR says that MO was cashed and instructs me to send in documentation and affidavit describing what happened.

Fast forward five weeks. Response received from WU indicating that CU submitted MO for payment twice. First presentment was paid. Second presentment was rejected on grounds that MO had already been paid.

For those keeping score at home:

2 $500 credits made to my account
2 $500 deductions made to my account
$500 received by CU from WU
I have a money order for which CU was paid, but which I cannot cash

Go to CU branch office today. CSR can't understand the situation, can't tell me why second $500 deduction was made to my account and can't tell me if CU presented MO for payment twice (which WU confirmed).

I realize that this entire situation is a result of the fact that I submitted the same money order for deposit a second time after the app crashed while the first deposit was made. However, I would like to think that my CU's back office could properly handle such situations. In their defense, they may have been confused by the fact that the communication received from WU's bank indicated that payment was refused on the grounds that the money order was altered, while the real reason that it was refused is because it had already been paid. Nonetheless, that does not excuse the fact that the CU was paid for my MO and did not credit my account.

Went to the CU today and had a somewhat heated discussion with CSR. Eventually agreed to open inquiry for CU's back office to investigate.

Not looking for sympathy. Just wanted to share my experience, so that others don't make the same mistake that I did.

Thanks for sharing. I always thought apps were dangerous for checks/money orders. Do you keep the checks or money when they are accepted by the app? I would rather the bank have the copy in their possession. I already have too much paper in my life already.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
Thanks for sharing. I always thought apps were dangerous for checks/money orders. Do you keep the checks or money when they are accepted by the app? I would rather the bank have the copy in their possession. I already have too much paper in my life already.
I would argue that except in the rare cases such as the above, mobile apps are safer for depositing checks/money orders. You get to keep the original paper instead of the bank having it. "Oh, you submitted a check to us at the ATM? Sorry, but we don't know where it is. Quite frankly, we don't care if it was your life savings; that's none of our concern."

A story (while not quite so dramatic) that's along those lines is here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ansaction.html

To answer the question of what to do with the paper, you're usually instructed to keep it for two weeks or so to ensure that it's deposited and cleared correctly before disposing of it.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For Chase: I deposited 2 $1k WU MOs via ATM on Saturday last weekend and the $ was available on Tuesday, so essentially next biz day since Sat deposits are as if deposited on Monday. FWIW it was with the new fangled cool looking ATM with the big vertically oriented touchscreen, vs. the normal Chase ATM. I had to manually enter the amount for one of the MOs, while the other one automatically identified.

Like this:

Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:51 pm

Anybody having issues with deposits to Discover bank? I usually deposit $1500 a month via MO to pay my child support with no problems. This last time I used a MG instead of western union and got an email saying they were unable to accept my deposit and listed prohibited item as reason. I had just deposit one last week from WU.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:42 pm

I cant seem to deposit MoneyGram MOs to WF via the app, but Western Union seems to work fine. It keeps saying amount is incorrect - guessing its having trouble reading it for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.