Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm looking at Wells for a new checking account to keep the MS totally separate from the family accounts. They have convenient locations and no CC that may tempt me so it seems a decent option. I see in the wiki that mobile MO deposits are allowed. I'd probably do a blend of atm and mobile. Are there any tales of what gets you shut down with WF? I'd keep enough of a balance in there to allow for mixing in some plain ol' banking and maybe even write a few checks.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
We stinks as an institution. They will be sneaky and are only concerned about their numbers.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Tried a mobile deposit for a small local bank that just started their mobile deposit program. Love the response after about 24 hrs:

REJECTED: Westfield Bank Mobile Deposit
Ineligible items include: U.S. Savings Bonds, Cashier’s Checks, Money Orders, Travelers Checks, altered or otherwise suspected or known to be fraudulent or unauthorized checks, checks drawn on institutions or currencies outside of the United States, checks dated more than six (6) months from the deposit date, remotely created checks, substitute checks, checks which have differing written and numeric amounts, and as otherwise excluded by us or by law.

They went on to add:
Please deposit your item at any Westfield Bank location to receive credit.

At least they are clear as to what is not accepted.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:28 pm

Trying to deposit a moneygram MO to WF via an iPhone. I see in the wiki that WU MOs work via an android app. Anyone else have success in a similar situation as mine?
Old May 11, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Is the wiki up to date with PNC Bank? Just making sure I can do ATM deposits for MO's.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Is the wiki up to date with PNC Bank? Just making sure I can do ATM deposits for MO's.
I was able to as recently as last week.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:49 am

Does anyone know if SunTrust ATMs accept MOs? I've searched everywhere for this info and can't find it. On their site it says it's allowed for business accounts, but I'm not sure about personal.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Drew777
Does anyone know if SunTrust ATMs accept MOs? I've searched everywhere for this info and can't find it. On their site it says it's allowed for business accounts, but I'm not sure about personal.
I do a small amount, usually no more than 1K/mo. MO detection is terrible. Almost always need to key in amount.

I've got weird calls from them that seems like they're sizing me up.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
I do a small amount, usually no more than 1K/mo. MO detection is terrible. Almost always need to key in amount.

I've got weird calls from them that seems like they're sizing me up.
Thanks!
Old May 26, 2015, 9:26 pm

I tried to deposit a MO with the Schwab mobile app and it is so dark when trying to take pictures that I cannot tell if the check is even in the frame or not. And when everything looks great I always get an error. It's a royal PITA so far. Has anyone used the Schwab Mobile App successfully?
Old May 27, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Superorb
I tried to deposit a MO with the Schwab mobile app and it is so dark when trying to take pictures that I cannot tell if the check is even in the frame or not. And when everything looks great I always get an error. It's a royal PITA so far. Has anyone used the Schwab Mobile App successfully?
I used it with my iphone 6 and deposit was accepted.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by concordian
I used it with my iphone 6 and deposit was accepted.
How recent was this? I'm using MG MOs from WM and I always get the same error, and I've tried different phones too. The camera preview is also always dim too.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:05 pm

According to Schwab chat this is a known problem and should be fixed soon.

How long does it normally take for the MO to be available in the account?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:43 pm

Yeah no problems with my iPhone 5S. A small trick with WM MOs is to leave the receipt thing attached at the end of the MOs when doing the mobile deposit.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:44 pm

According to Schwab chat this is a known problem and should be fixed soon.

How long does it normally take for the MO to be available in the account?
When I first opened my account, it was about 2-3 business days. Now, it's 1-2 business days, often less than that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.