Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 14, 2:10 pm

I've been doing ~$1500/month in MO deposits through smartphone for TIAA Direct MMA for the last 4 months and just got a courtesy call from a CSR asking about the activity. She was knowledgeable about MS and said that they see it "as a form of money-laundering" and asked that i stop and use the account like i had before.

i guess that's dead for me, but at least i got notice instead of them just dropping the hammer.
Old Aug 28, 14, 7:41 am

For those who got shutdown from Everbank... for data points.. what did you do with your Everbank account besides deposit MO's? Did you billpay? Transfer funds directly to another bank account? Use for regular debit card spending?
Old Aug 28, 14, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by unkinected View Post
For those who got shutdown from Everbank... for data points.. what did you do with your Everbank account besides deposit MO's? Did you billpay? Transfer funds directly to another bank account? Use for regular debit card spending?
As a datapoint the other way, I've had the account for about 3 years, and use it as my main banking, so lots of bill pays, ACH, our pay checks are direct deposited etc. At times have deposited 10K in MO per month, but usually around $3-5K.

Which of course doesn't mean I won't be shutdown tomorrow....
Old Aug 28, 14, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by nittanylion1 View Post
Was this also Everbank, deekay?
Yes it was, I had about the same situation except I didn't get the warning call.
Old Aug 28, 14, 6:27 pm

Used mobile deposit for MO, pulled funds from other accounts and sent aggregated amounts to wells. Did this routine about five or eight times in the past month.
Old Aug 29, 14, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Allamerathlete View Post
I have never been able to get the USAA mobile app to deposit a MO.
Works 100% with WUs.
Old Aug 29, 14, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Works 100% with WUs.
Have to get me some of the WU MO's. Plenty of places nearby. My go to MG's from WM don't seem to want to read with the mobile app. I keep getting an error.
Old Aug 31, 14, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Surface Interval View Post
Have to get me some of the WU MO's. Plenty of places nearby. My go to MG's from WM don't seem to want to read with the mobile app. I keep getting an error.
Yep, USAA's mobile app works great for WU MOs. I have to enter the amount each time, but that's not that big of a deal. I have never tried MG MOs with the app, but then again, I personally have no reason to try.
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:24 am

Use a scanner and your PC to deposit MG MOs to USAA. [email protected]
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the tip ^ Will have to try that simply out of curiousity.
Old Sep 1, 14, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy View Post
Just curious: have you done this? Reason I ask is that it would seen there might be some sort of human intervention and their terms state that Money orders are not allowed.

The WU MO's do not require human intervention as they read directly on the mobile app.

Thanks,

SI
Old Sep 1, 14, 8:42 pm

Just curious: have you done this? Reason I ask is that it would seen there might be some sort of human intervention and their terms state that Money orders are not allowed.

The WU MO's do not require human intervention as they read directly on the mobile app.

Thanks,

SI
I take the MG MO to UPS store and they scan and deposit for me. Look for a UPS store near you and see if they offer the deposit. First time I showed up with 500 cash and they said it had to be a check or a Money order, told me the K**** next door sold money orders, I feigned surprise, went to the local drug store, bought a VGC using CC, then purchased a MO and returned to UPS store. stuffed the cash into my local bank and paid the CC.
Old Sep 1, 14, 9:21 pm

Just curious: have you done this?
Yes. Funds are available immediately. It's no different than using the phone app, but you can control the image quality much better.
Old Sep 2, 14, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by givingitatry View Post
I take the MG MO to UPS store and they scan and deposit for me. Look for a UPS store near you and see if they offer the deposit. First time I showed up with 500 cash and they said it had to be a check or a Money order, told me the K**** next door sold money orders, I feigned surprise, went to the local drug store, bought a VGC using CC, then purchased a MO and returned to UPS store. stuffed the cash into my local bank and paid the CC.
Interesting. Was this just for USAA? Or can you use UPS store to deposit to any bank?
Old Sep 2, 14, 8:40 am

Interesting. Was this just for USAA? Or can you use UPS store to deposit to any bank?
As far as I know only USAA since they don't have branches. Would be worthing looking into for your bank.

Search this Thread