Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 14, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss View Post
This is making me sick to the stomach now.. I had same happen about 6 months back at BofA for around 2.5K. This machine said its not printing receipts (typed note hanging on top of ATM). I was careless (not any more).. No deposit showed up for days so I claim.. went through exact same thing.. a month later they reversed the credit saying they had no record of the funds being deposited. By the time I was going thorugh so many MOs. I doubted my own memory and gave up.. Now I read this thread and seems like I am/might be out. MSers Beware!!!!
You need to keep your personal finances in a separate account and keep MS in other accounts so you know. $2.5k is a lot and if you can't tell for sure then you aren't running your accounting properly.

Personally I keep $1k in each of my bank accounts that I MS in to help with minimum balances. At any point in time I can compute a formula where I look at:

Current Bank Balances + GC not liquidated + MO not deposited + Pending Payments - MS Credit Card Debt = $1k left in each account

My cashback cards cover fees so I should never fall below this. Any extra cashback profit gets moved to my personal accounts.
Old Aug 14, 14, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by FT-hss View Post
This is making me sick to the stomach now.. I had same happen about 6 months back at BofA for around 2.5K. This machine said its not printing receipts (typed note hanging on top of ATM). I was careless (not any more).. No deposit showed up for days so I claim.. went through exact same thing.. a month later they reversed the credit saying they had no record of the funds being deposited. By the time I was going thorugh so many MOs. I doubted my own memory and gave up.. Now I read this thread and seems like I am/might be out. MSers Beware!!!!
In my own case I got confirmation from BofA that the claim was validated and that the credited funds were correct. I have no doubt having all the relevant MO numbers on hand helped that.

I would suggest you literally immediately stop playing this MS game all together right now. Take time out, regroup yourself, and come back to this if and only if you think you can do an infinitely better job of record keeping and tracking. It is literally horrifying to read someone doesn't even know if they have lost money or not. There is not a single deposit I have made anywhere where I could not find within a few minutes right now the ATM deposit receipt which would be closely tied up with the relevant money order slips and those in turn would be tied to the receipts of wherever I bought them. And heck if they were bought with gift cards I have the receipts for those too, along with the used gift card with the date and place of where I liquidated them written on the back. While this was a little nervy for me given the sheer size of the deposit, I never really doubted for one second I'd lose my money.

This should be a lesson to all that you need to keep very good records in this game
Old Aug 14, 14, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
You don't sign in the bottom right corner like you would a check? There's a spot there where the purchaser is supposed to sign. I always try to make that signature as chicken-scratch as possible but do sign my name since I was the purchaser. Then I clearly sign the endorsement on the back. Your way is interesting to me though if you say it works.
I know a lot of the MS stuff is theory and what works for one person backfires on another. My theory on signing MOs is this... I print my name on the To: line and sign the line under it (with my real signature). When I deposit it I then sign the back with the same signature as the front. My theory behind this is that looks like obvious MSing to anyone who might look at the MO, and more so if it's a regular thing they see a couple times a week from me. Maybe I'm over thinking it or whatever, but that's just my 2 cents. That's what I've been doing for just about a year now and it's worked for me so far.

The only issue I've had with depositing MOs at an ATM was when one of my MOs got stuck and it didn't give me credit or spit it back out. I called the branch the next day and the bank teller said that an outside company processes the ATM transactions. She said I could either file an incident or wait a day or so and see if it gets taken care of. About 2 days later the last MO deposit showed up on my account. I'm pretty sure they double check all deposits when they empty the ATM.
Old Aug 22, 14, 12:14 pm

Data point for Everbank. Opened my account a little over a month ago. Deposited about $4500 in MOs and another $2800 ACH deposit from Loyal3. Paid some CC bills via ACH out and debit with Evolve. I got a call earlier in the week from their financial intelligence unit. They asked where the money orders were coming from and I told them I run a consulting business and ask my clients pay me with money orders. They also asked what VS Evolve was and I told them it was a 3rd party bill pay service that I use. They said okay and that they would note that on my account. Since then I paid an AMEX and CapOne bill via ACH. Got an overnight Fedex in the mail today from the same guy I spoke to on the phone that my account has been shut down effective immediately and the balance is being sent in a cashier's check. Oh well...onto the next.
Old Aug 22, 14, 3:27 pm

Yikes. That's good to know, crapz1. Thanks.

I've been ramping up with Everbank, very slowly. I won't push it.
Old Aug 26, 14, 5:46 pm

I also received a shutdown letter just yesterday. I called in today and they were very knowledgeable on MS. Asked. For a reconsideration and he got back to me in about a half hour saying his manager did not change the decision. Have 14 days until they shut it down.
Old Aug 26, 14, 6:52 pm

Was this also Everbank, deekay?
Old Aug 27, 14, 12:56 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
I have been looking at other tools that will enable for more "spend" and found out WF will cash/exchange AMX travelers checks, so has anyone played around with travelers check in the MS games?
Old Aug 27, 14, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by MasterCharge View Post
I have been looking at other tools that will enable for more "spend" and found out WF will cash/exchange AMX travelers checks, so has anyone played around with travelers check in the MS games?
To my knowledge of the idea Amex doesn't give points for traveler's check purchases, so wouldn't be much benefit for MS.
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:11 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by hamhead View Post
To my knowledge of the idea Amex doesn't give points for traveler's check purchases, so wouldn't be much benefit for MS.
This is correct

It does work for non-Amex issued Amex cards. Citi Amex cards code as cash advance. You can work out the rest for yourself

Also IME it is handled by same group that handles Amex GC's and the order limits are combined so if you do $5k GC's and then try to buy $5k TC's the latter will be declined
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:30 am

TD ameritrade does not allow MO deposits via phone
Old Aug 27, 14, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes View Post
==============================

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Mone...nkPhrase=money order deposit

Per USAA phone rep: Yes to MO at ATM. Yes to MO deposit on mobile app. HTH.
I have never been able to get the USAA mobile app to deposit a MO.
Old Aug 27, 14, 8:35 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Thanks for the additional information. ^

Originally Posted by hamhead View Post

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
This is correct

It does work for non-Amex issued Amex cards. Citi Amex cards code as cash advance. You can work out the rest for yourself

Also IME it is handled by same group that handles Amex GC's and the order limits are combined so if you do $5k GC's and then try to buy $5k TC's the latter will be declined
Old Aug 27, 14, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by crapz1 View Post
Data point for Everbank. Opened my account a little over a month ago. Deposited about $4500 in MOs and another $2800 ACH deposit from Loyal3. Paid some CC bills via ACH out and debit with Evolve. I got a call earlier in the week from their financial intelligence unit. They asked where the money orders were coming from and I told them I run a consulting business and ask my clients pay me with money orders. They also asked what VS Evolve was and I told them it was a 3rd party bill pay service that I use. They said okay and that they would note that on my account. Since then I paid an AMEX and CapOne bill via ACH. Got an overnight Fedex in the mail today from the same guy I spoke to on the phone that my account has been shut down effective immediately and the balance is being sent in a cashier's check. Oh well...onto the next.
Same here. Less than a month and closed. Deposited 3k total.
Old Aug 27, 14, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bu08usc11 View Post
Same here. Less than a month and closed. Deposited 3k total.
Same here with shutdown, though my account was open a little longer. Oh well, on to the next one.

Search this Thread