Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 26, 14, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld View Post
To the guy who asked about PNC - I've been throwing about $10k a month in there for the past few months with no objections. In person. I suspect that type of volume over the phone would throw up flags.
In person meaning to a live teller or the ATM? I was planning on opening a PNC account tomorrow so I'm curious.
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:40 pm

Deposit one to Discover and One to Simple today. Already see the credit at Discover and get a text from Simple saying they received and would put a hold for 9 days since my account was new.
Old Jun 27, 14, 1:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by payeco View Post
In person meaning to a live teller or the ATM? I was planning on opening a PNC account tomorrow so I'm curious.
Teller. Although I don't quite see how it being in the drive thru would be any different.
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:57 am

Teller. Although I don't quite see how it being in the drive thru would be any different.
ATM deposits go to the back office monkeys working remotely somewhere where they verify the amounts you typed match the check. It rarely is the tellers in the bank location that would check these unless it is a small community bank.

They have quotas that they have to move through each day. They care more about protecting their job - they don't have much time for raising suspicion on deposits unless they see something completely outlandish.

ATM deposits will always probably raise less suspicion.
Old Jun 27, 14, 7:19 am

good data point, thanks! does PNC charge a fee for using teller service? BOA ebanking account does
Old Jun 28, 14, 1:17 am

To the guy who asked about PNC - I've been throwing about $10k a month in there for the past few months with no objections. In person. I suspect that type of volume over the phone would throw up flags.
How long have you been with PNC?

I'm thinking of opening an account with them in the next couple of days.

Bummed it seems from reading this thread they've stopped accepting MO's remotely...
Old Jun 28, 14, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by levander View Post
How long have you been with PNC?

I'm thinking of opening an account with them in the next couple of days.

Bummed it seems from reading this thread they've stopped accepting MO's remotely...
I just opened up a CA there today. Got some type of bonus deal that gets me $200 if I meet certain DD amounts and BPs in the first month. After that I'll probably downgrade the account to a lower level CA so I don't have to worry about making sure I get $2K in DD per month to avoid the fee.
Old Jul 3, 14, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Huzordaddy View Post
I have found that the Moneygram MOs printed out at WalMart are often so faint that ATMs won't read them and phone apps like USAA have trouble with them. The WU ones work much better at the ATM, I think because they print out much darker.
I tried MG from WM, mobile deposit with both WF and Citi and got rejected both times. WF couldn't even recognize the MO and was unable to read the amount. Citi sent me a rejection with the same reason 2 days later.
Old Jul 7, 14, 7:22 am

If I open a Discover checking online , how many days do I need to wait to deposit MG money order using the smartphone? What is the holding period now? Do I need to have ACH pull for initial deposit or can I use my credit card?

Same question for Simple bank and Everbank.

Last edited by metoo; Jul 7, 14 at 7:32 am
Old Jul 7, 14, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
If I open a Discover checking online , how many days do I need to wait to deposit MG money order using the smartphone? What is the holding period now? Do I need to have ACH pull for initial deposit or can I use my credit card?

Same question for Simple bank and Everbank.
Discover won't tolerate MG for the most part via mobile app. I do WU MO just fine though. It seems to cash like a normal check - 1 or 2 days.

Simple let me do deposits immediately, but hold is 10 days in the first 30 days. After that its a 2 or 3 days.
Old Jul 7, 14, 7:18 pm

For newly open account , what is the holding period for 1k MG MO for Tiaa Direct and Everbank? What is considered an "acceptable" amount to deposit per week/month? And for those who have been doing this for awhile, do you only deposit MO or ACH from another bank account as well. As far as liquidation, is it mostly bill pay ?
Old Jul 8, 14, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hilbe View Post
PNC does not allow the MOs to be deposited by app. Please update the wiki.
PNC does allow MO deposits at the ATM so that can be added to the wiki.
Old Jul 9, 14, 7:27 am

These banks have allowed me to deposit Money Orders at the ATM:
KeyBank: no envelope, credited next day
FirstMerit: envelopes, credited within 2 days
CharterOne: no envelope, long holds for new accounts (5+ days)
PNC: no envelope, credited next day
Old Jul 10, 14, 1:06 am
Suspended

for some reason my WF app doesnt want to take a WM generated MO. Tried taking picture a million different ways nothing... says amounts do not match.
Old Jul 10, 14, 1:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EL3V3N View Post
for some reason my WF app doesnt want to take a WM generated MO. Tried taking picture a million different ways nothing... says amounts do not match.
A lot of apps have trouble with MG MOs because of their unusual size. A few things to try: if you haven't already, remove the receipt portion and see if it works. If you've already removed it, lay the receipt portion next to the MO and line it up as closely as you can and try it. I can never get the Discover app to see MG MOs with the receipt removed, but with it still attached it reads them fine.

If neither of those work, take it to a WF ATM to deposit. I've successfully deposited MG MOs at their ATM.

IMO, the DCU and Discover apps are the most successful at reading MG MOs so that's something to consider. PenFed is great at WU MO. I try to divert as much of my MO deposits to banks that I don't have access to branches so I can save my ATM branch deposits for cash. 10 AFTs generate A LOT of cash.

Search this Thread