Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
From the Cardholder Agreement
- Maximum cash load each day: $999.99 (2x$500 VRs work). Limit resets at 1:00AM EST.
- Maximum loads per day: 4
- Maximum loads per month: 10
- Maximum ATM withdrawals per day: $3000
- Maximum spending per day: $3500
- Maximum monthly load limit: $5000 with VRs. Rolling 30 day period.

Cost of Service
- Initial Purchase fee: FREE
- Monthly Charge: FREE (if U use once every 90 days)

Add Money
- Direct Deposit: FREE
- Cash Reload at Retail Location: Varies by location, up to $4.95
- From Bank Account: FREE
- Check to Card via mobile app. 2% fee for printed payroll checks or government checks. 4% fee for any other check.

Get Cash
- Cash Back at Store: FREE
- From ATM: Allpoint ATMs, $2.50, Non Allpoint ATMs, $2.50
- Over the Counter Withdrawal: $25
- Request Check or One Time ACH: FREE

Spend Money
- Signature: FREE
- PIN: FREE
- Online bill pay: $0.95 per billpay. (Max Bill Pay $2500)

Information
- Automated IVR Access, Live Agent, Online Customer Service, Mobile Text Updates, Emerald Mobile Banking App, Online Statement, Paper statement upon request: FREE
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $1
- ATM Decline: $1
- Monthly Inactivity (after 2 months) $4.95 (Increased Jan. 2015, previously was $2.50 after 3 months.)
- Replacement Card: FREE, if expedited $35.

The card also has a reward feature in the form of cash back offers for certain purchase at certain stores - like AmEx Offers.

You will receive a temporary card right after your are done with your application. You can starting loading that card and use it normally. When the personalized card (if you opt in for it) comes, which will take 2-3 weeks, the card number may be changed and you need to activate the new card again (note that by activating the personalized card, the temporary card will be deactivated automatically). However, the load limit does not reset when you change from the temporary card to the personalized card.

Loads at CVS are hard-coded cash only, and have a $4.95 fee.
Print Wikipost

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by thepaul500
Okay, I called two places. First told me no way. Second put me through to someone who could help, and told me to come in whenever and tell whoever was working the front desk that "XXXX" said it could be done.

I went in after work, and the method is very simple:
1. Employee does to "Emerald Perks" Icon on their desktop. NOT the tax software, it cannot be found in there.
2. Its all very simple, directs the employee through step by step.
3. You are not "friends and family" or it will mess up.
4. ID address must match or else bring in mail proving correct address (utility bill, etc)

They did say that the promotion period to get a card without taxes ends 1/31, but who knows.

I will say, it might be better not to make an appt. I think they are tracked based on appointments/sales/etc. They told the front desk to not put me in their scheduling system.

All of this is YMMV of course, but I was in and out in 5 minutes. Very painless and super friendly.
Thank you. Any idea if they can offer it if they don't have temp cards in the store? Can you confirm if you click "I don't know" on how you will fund? Do you select employee of affiliate? a1will states you definitely need to be in friends and family section in an earlier post, are you sure?

Thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by drdrew450
walked in told the guy I wanted an emerald prepaid, told him I tryed over the phone but was told I had to come into a branch. He told me to fill out a form. I waited then someone came out and immediately started asking me questions about my taxes...I just went with it, answered her questions. Then later asked about the emerald, and pointed to the pic of it on her wall, she talked more about how it was for my refund. I told her I claim 3 dependents but dont have any, so I dont get a refund, but i would like the card. She said sure and walked me through the app.

I actually have an appt next week to talk more about my taxes. I am going to have to call and cancel.
Was your visit after the 24th?

My visit did result in having an offer of working out my DH's overseas income into our tax filing at no obligation, ie, he said if I didn't like what he advised, I was free to go. As to the Emerald, he kindly said no more after the 24th.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 4, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by thepaul500
Okay, I called two places. First told me no way. Second put me through to someone who could help, and told me to come in whenever and tell whoever was working the front desk that "XXXX" said it could be done.

I went in after work, and the method is very simple:
1. Employee goes to "Emerald Perks" Icon on their desktop. NOT the tax software, it cannot be found in there.
2. Its all very simple, directs the employee through step by step.
3. You are not "friends and family" or it will mess up.
4. ID address must match or else bring in mail proving correct address (utility bill, etc)

They did say that the promotion period to get a card without taxes ends 1/31, but who knows.
Really? Wish they would make up their minds!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: DL DM
They needed to input a number from the temp card, so I highly doubt they can offer it without the card in store.

I clicked I dont know and was able to load the card as soon as I got home.

There was no option for employee or affiliate that I saw selected.

There was no friends and family section. It is its own program on their desktop.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:52 am

On my login screen it now shows a new card, with the option to activate, along with my currently activated temporare card. I haven't received the new card yet, but perhaps that implies that the new personalized card is on it's way. For other still awaiting the personalized card, does it show on the login screen, or did it show on the login screen before you received the card?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:20 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:36 am

Any input on the liquidation of VR's loaded to this card?

Bill-Pay? Fees?
Transfer into Checking Account or Request Check ?
Can we load MO into this thing using the Smartphone App ?

EDIT: From the looks of other comments and research, it seems ACH pull is enabled on these cards. This is huge, as you can now send money to brokerage houses through ACH Pull to liquidate out, as BB does not have this ability. You can also ACH pull directly to your checking account, or setup the ACH to billpay directly to your Credit Card Issuer (Except Amex, as they dont allow long account numbers for some reason)

Last edited by golf7; Jan 31, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:56 am

I got my Emerald Card On Tuesday of this week. Walked into an H&R Block store and asked for it; the lady signed me up no questions asked.

I already put 3K of VR on the card and used it for bill pay at $0.95 per transaction, no matter how small/big. Also, I withdrew 1,200 cash for $2.95 at a no-fee atm I have at work.

I have not seen how to withdraw through ACH to checking.

Pretty nice to combine this with BB for 10K MR each month.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:00 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:25 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:14 pm

Is the $5K limit per month or rolling?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Hello all,
Is the Driving License mandatory or can it be replaced by any other State issued ID such as a passport or foreign Driving License?
Thanks
Minos
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:30 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:24 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
I can confirm that the ACH option works on the Emerald card. I added the account as an external account to my Citibank checking, and then after confirming the token deposits/withdrawals to the Emerald card, I was able to easily withdraw the money straight from the Emerald card to my checking account. Very easy, no issues so far. I've done a $3k and then a $2k withdrawal to my account in this manner.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326
I can confirm that the ACH option works on the Emerald card. I added the account as an external account to my Citibank checking, and then after confirming the token deposits/withdrawals to the Emerald card, I was able to easily withdraw the money straight from the Emerald card to my checking account. Very easy, no issues so far. I've done a $3k and then a $2k withdrawal to my account in this manner.
This is dangerous. It's (a) the most blatant form of abusing the card, and (b) if (when) your card gets frozen, any outstanding pulls from the card are going to bounce, potentially causing problems with your bank and/or CC. I speak from personal experience (not with this card, but others that also allow ACH).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104
I got my Emerald Card On Tuesday of this week. Walked into an H&R Block store and asked for it; the lady signed me up no questions asked.

I already put 3K of VR on the card and used it for bill pay at $0.95 per transaction, no matter how small/big. Also, I withdrew 1,200 cash for $2.95 at a no-fee atm I have at work.

I have not seen how to withdraw through ACH to checking.

Pretty nice to combine this with BB for 10K MR each month.
Unreal. Another office, another dud answer.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 4, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.