Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
From the Cardholder Agreement
- Maximum cash load each day: $999.99 (2x$500 VRs work). Limit resets at 1:00AM EST.
- Maximum loads per day: 4
- Maximum loads per month: 10
- Maximum ATM withdrawals per day: $3000
- Maximum spending per day: $3500
- Maximum monthly load limit: $5000 with VRs. Rolling 30 day period.

Cost of Service
- Initial Purchase fee: FREE
- Monthly Charge: FREE (if U use once every 90 days)

Add Money
- Direct Deposit: FREE
- Cash Reload at Retail Location: Varies by location, up to $4.95
- From Bank Account: FREE
- Check to Card via mobile app. 2% fee for printed payroll checks or government checks. 4% fee for any other check.

Get Cash
- Cash Back at Store: FREE
- From ATM: Allpoint ATMs, $2.50, Non Allpoint ATMs, $2.50
- Over the Counter Withdrawal: $25
- Request Check or One Time ACH: FREE

Spend Money
- Signature: FREE
- PIN: FREE
- Online bill pay: $0.95 per billpay. (Max Bill Pay $2500)

Information
- Automated IVR Access, Live Agent, Online Customer Service, Mobile Text Updates, Emerald Mobile Banking App, Online Statement, Paper statement upon request: FREE
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $1
- ATM Decline: $1
- Monthly Inactivity (after 2 months) $4.95 (Increased Jan. 2015, previously was $2.50 after 3 months.)
- Replacement Card: FREE, if expedited $35.

The card also has a reward feature in the form of cash back offers for certain purchase at certain stores - like AmEx Offers.

You will receive a temporary card right after your are done with your application. You can starting loading that card and use it normally. When the personalized card (if you opt in for it) comes, which will take 2-3 weeks, the card number may be changed and you need to activate the new card again (note that by activating the personalized card, the temporary card will be deactivated automatically). However, the load limit does not reset when you change from the temporary card to the personalized card.

Loads at CVS are hard-coded cash only, and have a $4.95 fee.
Print Wikipost

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
If u are in the "process" of filing using their software that you didnt actually purchase... how could their system locate u in their system?
The H&R people don't know what they're doing with the Emerald card most of the time. The "can't locate you in the system" thing is not valid. You can easily get the card without being "in the system". I and many others have not ever dealt with H&R and have had no issues getting the Emerald without filing taxes.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Anybody want a brochure? It speaks to their financial services of offering the Emerald Card, not taxes. Any reference to taxes is an afterthought.

One can't argue with a corporate approved brochure. Well, one can, but then the customer has the right to complain that a local (yahoo, oh, sorry, that's not nice) staff member is not representing the company well. Might motivate the office manager to assist the staff in the process of issuing the cards when requested.

Postage paid, just LMK.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
I see an offer there.

Not super big deal, but nice touch.
Lenovo
$50 back on a purchase of $500 or more
Expires 02/17/2014 05:59:59 AM

To redeem this offer, you will need to spend a minimum of $500 online at Lenovo, including taxes and after any discounts. Offer not valid on purchases made on 3rd party sites. Offer only valid online for one purchase.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
I see an offer there.

Not super big deal, but nice touch.
Where are you seeing the offers? Can't find them.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by hitman1420
Where are you seeing the offers? Can't find them.
Go to your card's page.
My Rewards
My Offers
Available Offers

Second page. Lenovo is there (for me at least).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Anybody want a brochure? It speaks to their financial services of offering the Emerald Card, not taxes. Any reference to taxes is an afterthought.

One can't argue with a corporate approved brochure. Well, one can, but then the customer has the right to complain that a local (yahoo, oh, sorry, that's not nice) staff member is not representing the company well. Might motivate the office manager to assist the staff in the process of issuing the cards when requested.

Postage paid, just LMK.
I printoutHRblock.com/emeraldcard page and took with me to the local office. It was enough to get them to take action. Unfortunately despite their effort to get me signed up their system simply won't let us complete the registration.

Today I went back to ask them to set me up as a client in their system. Answered a bunch of tax related questions, even entered income except for a few expenses for deductions which I told them I would be bring in a few weeks to complete the filing.

Unfortunately we could not get passed the first emerald sign up screen. You need to be an existing client with completed tax return to be able to sign up ... at least in my area. Kind lady called Emerald support on speaker fone and was confirmed I needed to finish my tax to complete the emerald processing.

I am giving up on the Emerald card. It's just not possible to get it. I'm sure those that got one last week go them before the special promo deadline. So congrats to them and no luck for us after Jan. 31.

btw, if I wanted them to complete my tax total cost would be $452.

I don't think this emerald card is worth $452.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
The H&R people don't know what they're doing with the Emerald card most of the time. The "can't locate you in the system" thing is not valid. You can easily get the card without being "in the system". I and many others have not ever dealt with H&R and have had no issues getting the Emerald without filing taxes.
Hitman, the two people that helped me have called support to walk them step by step. This is after the fact that they both have signed up many people in the past for the Emerald card.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by belltower
Well, they never tried to locate me in their system. They opened the application page for the Emerald Prepaid Card on their computer, put in my address, ssn, phone number und DL number. I could see the screen the whole time. At no point the program asks if you are already a H&R Block client, if you file or ever filed a tax return with them and so on. They don't check if you really bought the software. Or if you used their completely free tax filing application on their website. Those systems are cleary not linked.
The first page of the emerald app process does ask for name, address, birthdate and ssn. I was watching the screen again today. At the top of the form it does say find client.

Right before they click submit there is a tickbox asking if u are an employee or affiliate. Today I asked the hrblock rep to try both and she still could not get it to go through. Upon clicking submit there's a message stating based on information provided cannot be approved, etc..etc..

I am not a stranger to online forms and business processes. I followed her every step and the system just wouldn't do it.

I think it has to do with the promo deadline. People that got approved probably did so before Jan. 31.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear that Fico2Go. I got approved yesterday. Have never been a client at H&R Block, never before registered with them anywhere. Maybe there are regional differences or I just got lucky.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

bought some VRs today at CVS using my newly acquired Citi AA card. Loaded a couple to the my temp card successfully. No hassles. Good way to MS towards meeting the minimum spend requirements for my 100k AA offer.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by belltower
Sorry to hear that Fico2Go. I got approved yesterday. Have never been a client at H&R Block, never before registered with them anywhere. Maybe there are regional differences or I just got lucky.
I'm not sure if it's regional because we called both the main support line also their special emerald card hotline number. I just don't know what's going on.

Unless somehow their system does a quick HP credit check in that split second as my credit reports are frozen.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
... Upon clicking submit there's a message stating based on information provided cannot be approved, etc..etc..
I think it has to do with the promo deadline. People that got approved probably did so before Jan. 31.
I reported that same error message on January 22, post #10.
I doubt that the phone support people know what they're talking about any more than the people in the stores; there probably isn't really a requirement to file your taxes first. And I don't think there was any promo deadline.

My theory about that error is that their identity verification system is crappy. Possibly it'd work if you type your name/address in a different way, though it might not ever work. (Though maybe if you filed your taxes there, their system could find you that way and bypass the other method.)

Another theory is that it could be related to "corporate" vs. franchise locations.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. Got my Emerald Card today after calling the 3rd office and went in to apply in person. Didn't have to ask to file taxes.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
Another theory is that it could be related to "corporate" vs. franchise locations.
Actually, post #133 sounds like someone was able to get the card at a non-corporate location, so that theory's probably out.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UNited American
I got mine Tuesday about ten am. She took me in the cubicle, took my license, filled in name, address, phone, SS number. Nothing strange. Asked about funding, had I filed for year already, did I need a second card. Basic stuff. Was definitely February. But like I said earlier, the Blocks are from Kansas City, so that may have made my application process different in some way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.