Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
These cards no longer earn fuel points.

TIP:Purchases of $500 or more require manager override. You will hold up the line and risk getting shutdown: Hint: $495 + $4.95 fee = $499.95

As of July 16, 2014, cards are not PINable(again) without registration; calling to activate sends to representative. Before Feb 3 2014 and after ~ Mar 17 2014, a PIN could/can be set for one-time use.

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard can only be used for credit card transactions*, not debit. Debit/PIN requires SSN registration for enhanced use. This is a standard restriction for this type of card.
*ask the cashier to enter a partial payment amount if your transaction exceeds your card's stored value, otherwise your card will seem broke/inactive.

Enhanced use reports...
  • Monthly fee at ~30-day anniversary of registration
  • ReloadIt and Moneypak reloading
    • Do not load over 950 in a day, they will suspend your card
    • VR reloading now seems broken
  • Cashover(cashback) available with debit purchase at some registers
  • ACH Pull does not work

The Univision Prepaid Mastercard is product from The Bancorp Bank.

Until 3/24 you could load with VR. Just like with the PIN working, not working, then working again, keep trying with VR and if you succeed, please report here.
Print Wikipost

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Is the card worth getting online? Not in a Vons area (though will check NYC markets)
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:29 pm

Bought one this morning at Winn Dixie and got .50/gal in fuel perks. I tried registering it but the next button doesn't advance after I enter my info, I'll try later.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:07 am

I registered two of these cards in my name yesterday and loaded each with a MoneyPak and then withdrew $400 from each at an ATM.

Today I loaded another MoneyPak to the first card. The second card is suspended though. I need to fax in a copy of DL, SSN card, and proof of address. Easy enough to provide, so we'll see what happens.

I suspect they don't like seeing more that one account per person. Maybe the best strategy is to do one at a time for less than 30 days. Maybe registering a new card after the old one is closed won't trigger their fraud systems.

MoneyPak is the best way for me to reload these and they probably won't let me use a card for more than a few weeks anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:50 pm

Just curious, how did you find out your card was suspended? Did they email you? Declined purchase? Declined load?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Just curious, how did you find out your card was suspended? Did they email you? Declined purchase? Declined load?
Declined Load. Then an e-mail a few hours later.

Call center rep said they don't like the in-and-out activity. So, no more ATMs for me if they do reopen the cards.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jasonvr
For those looking to jump on the PayPower deal that is also running, I've done a little poking around and I for one think I am going to skip it. Found numerous pretty horrible reports of cards being frozen, funds being held, failure to verify identity, etc

http://creditcardforum.com/visa-mast...r-problem.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...22.html?page=3
the dude there loaded $340 in cash
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Looks like the daily load limit is $950 and monthly is $9K. I don't really see any point paying either of the fees. I just plan to let the card die at the end of the month with zero balance and start over with a new card.
Curious to hear your thinking on this. If you pay the $10 fee and load 19 VRs a month, that adds about 50 cents to the cost of the VRs. Seems to me that $4.45 is still a great price to pay for 500 _____ [enter currency and multiple here]. What am I seeing differently than you are? I'm desperately looking for non-BB ways to liquidate VRs and think this looks like a good option. Thanks.

xlax
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Data point.
Purchased for $500. Registered fully at $5.95/month level (no free ATM)
Sent $500 payment to CC company.
3 days later loaded $3k VR.
Suspended notice by email shortly after. CSR said trigger was large load. "Need to know VR loads are not fraudulent" which makes sense considering all the VR scams.
Need SSN, DL, Proof of address AND VR receipt (I had all those ready due to MVD).
Sent in to [email protected] last night and today got a confirmation of receipt email. Says check back in 48hrs.

Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by xlax
Curious to hear your thinking on this. If you pay the $10 fee and load 19 VRs a month, that adds about 50 cents to the cost of the VRs. Seems to me that $4.45 is still a great price to pay for 500 _____ [enter currency and multiple here]. What am I seeing differently than you are? I'm desperately looking for non-BB ways to liquidate VRs and think this looks like a good option. Thanks.

xlax
I don't follow. You plan to load 18+ VRs a month and expect to be alive at month end? Even if you survive, why would you pay the $10 fee for ATM instead of the lower fee? Or are you also planning to withdraw ~$9K at ATM? I just don't see either playing out well, but that's why I am accumulating new cards to register.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
I don't follow. You plan to load 18+ VRs a month and expect to be alive at month end? Even if you survive, why would you pay the $10 fee for ATM instead of the lower fee? Or are you also planning to withdraw ~$9K at ATM? I just don't see either playing out well, but that's why I am accumulating new cards to register.
I said 19 VR because of the $9500 limit and used the 9.99 as an example. My question was why not register and reload instead of buying new cards. From your response it sounds like you're betting that reloading will prove to be unsustainable, as it has with GB, AN, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:57 pm

I am registering and loading. I would think it better to have multiple cards registered and split the loads. Let them die when the fee hits. Then start over with new cards (or attempt to re-register dead ones).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:38 pm

I am registering and loading. I would think it better to have multiple cards registered and split the loads. Let them die when the fee hits. Then start over with new cards (or attempt to re-register dead ones).
Are you hitting any limits with # of cards registered?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:47 am

Next time buy $490. Saves the manager from comming.

Everytime, you pay over $500 they ask for DL and manager override. It takes sometimes long time for manager to come over. 490 seems okay and gets me in and out faster. I do two trips per store. Gives 980 points still confirmed. Call and activate and set pin, then load at Walmart. One walmart cashier refused to do two 490 loads. Since said they may get in trouble with Prepaid Cards. But never go to him again. But i try to stick to 490 load at time. I used to ask cashier to do two 490 loads most of them did it. Now on safe side i do one 490 load a day to not raise issues since its only one Walmart.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:11 pm

Before you buy too many don't forget the gas points are only valid for 1 month after the month in which you get them. Unless you can fill up multiple times a week you may accumulate points that simply expire before you use them.

Originally Posted by dsergey2009
Everytime, you pay over $500 they ask for DL and manager override. It takes sometimes long time for manager to come over. 490 seems okay and gets me in and out faster. I do two trips per store. Gives 980 points still confirmed. Call and activate and set pin, then load at Walmart. One walmart cashier refused to do two 490 loads. Since said they may get in trouble with Prepaid Cards. But never go to him again. But i try to stick to 490 load at time. I used to ask cashier to do two 490 loads most of them did it. Now on safe side i do one 490 load a day to not raise issues since its only one Walmart.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:40 pm

I like this strat...divide and conquer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.