Vanilla Reloads!

Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tymothy
CVS across the street from me was chock full of VRs, probably 50+. Tried to buy one and the cashier said it was cash only.

Is that hard coded into the system for a store or just a policy clerks are told about? Imagining I might get a different response if I try back by the pharmacy or throw in some extra stuff. Didn't see any signs listing any policies about VRs.
Try another CVS. The whole CVS cash only thing is a store by store decision. Sometimes seeing a lot of VR's means its not a good sign. I mean if there are like 20 or so left then that makes sense but having 50+ VRs means one of two things. Either the CVS manager limits ppl to $1K per day or cash only.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Try another CVS. The whole CVS cash only thing is a store by store decision. Sometimes seeing a lot of VR's means its not a good sign. I mean if there are like 20 or so left then that makes sense but having 50+ VRs means one of two things. Either the CVS manager limits ppl to $1K per day or cash only.
Hmm, went to another CVS and got the same thing, saw an official disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell prepaid on credit card. The disclaimer was actually printed as part of the whole gift card kiosk, so it's not like a store manager put it up on a whim. Went back to the first cvs and it also had the same printed disclaimer:

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."

Anyone else see this or know a way around? Is this a new trend?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:10 pm

Hmm, went to another CVS and got the same thing, saw an official disclaimer saying they wouldn't sell prepaid on credit card. The disclaimer was actually printed as part of the whole gift card kiosk, so it's not like a store manager put it up on a whim. Went back to the first cvs and it also had the same printed disclaimer:

"Acceptance of cash or credit card only for prepaid card purchases and acceptance of cash only for Prepaid Debit Card [sic] product purchases."

It could just be the CVS stores around you. It could have been imposed by the Operations Manager around the few CVS stores around your area or it just could be that the two CVS stores talked to each other and just agreed to both incorporate that rule.

Unfortunately if the sign says what you posted, then it is clear as day that there is no exceptions to accepting CC on VRs or any prepaid purchases. Its going to suck but the only thing I can suggest ot make sure you check all possible CVS stores around you. Its probably going to be inconvenient but if you can find a CVS that still honors that but you have to drive a bit further, it is worth it. The alternative could be that in your place of work in another part of town has CVS stores, then you can try checking it out there.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, exSPG, Marriott TE
Had some bizarre experiences after visiting 5 different CVS stores today.

Store 1: I purchased $4.5k yesterday in one txn with manager there. Same manager today but he went nuts. He said I had to buy one $500 at a time up to $2k. But he allowed me to buy $2k PayPal cards in one txn w/ID. Of course my AA Citi card got fraud alert during this drama. Manager said this wasn't right, he understands i want my cc "points" but then started pulling all the VR/PayPal cards off the rack. He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

Store 2: Line too long, only had PayPal cards.

Store 3: Had VR and PP cards. Friend used CC a few days ago. Spoke to manager and he said the only card I could use cc for was MyVanilla. He wouldn't show me any official documentation on the cash limitation. He said the vendor has dictated cash only.

Store 4: Had VR. Manager said he fired an employee last week for selling VR with cc. Told me they've never sold them with cc and my experience must have been with the employee he fired.

Store 5: Got the final $1.5k I needed for the $10k min. spend, no issues. Manager was nice, told me it was no problem. Just asked for ID and rang up $1.5k in one txn.

YMMV. What gets me is the excuses these store managers use.. like they NEVER EVER allowed cc at that location...but before I've used cc and my friends have used cc there.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:25 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by KiasuChick
He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, exSPG, Marriott TE

LOL I'm going to go back before closing tonight to see what's going on. I'll be conservative with $1k if the VR are back on the shelf.

Realized I have Citi Dividend 5% bonus to max out. Onto the next $6k!!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:06 pm

There's a CVS just north of LAX on Sepulveda that tends to have them in stock and CC purchases are ok. But they are out and have been for a while. No explanation.

LA is dry as a bone at the moment, except at the (many) places where they don't sell them on CC. Hopefully this is not a trend that portends a policy shift...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DoctorTacoFace
There's a CVS just north of LAX on Sepulveda that tends to have them in stock and CC purchases are ok. But they are out and have been for a while. No explanation.

LA is dry as a bone at the moment, except at the (many) places where they don't sell them on CC. Hopefully this is not a trend that portends a policy shift...
Just take the beans and bring them to another store that accepts CC.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by KiasuChick
Had some bizarre experiences after visiting 5 different CVS stores today.

Store 1: I purchased $4.5k yesterday in one txn with manager there. Same manager today but he went nuts. He said I had to buy one $500 at a time up to $2k. But he allowed me to buy $2k PayPal cards in one txn w/ID. Of course my AA Citi card got fraud alert during this drama. Manager said this wasn't right, he understands i want my cc "points" but then started pulling all the VR/PayPal cards off the rack. He said he got a memo yesterday about limiting the cards but wouldn't divulge any more info.

Store 2: Line too long, only had PayPal cards.

Store 3: Had VR and PP cards. Friend used CC a few days ago. Spoke to manager and he said the only card I could use cc for was MyVanilla. He wouldn't show me any official documentation on the cash limitation. He said the vendor has dictated cash only.

Store 4: Had VR. Manager said he fired an employee last week for selling VR with cc. Told me they've never sold them with cc and my experience must have been with the employee he fired.

Store 5: Got the final $1.5k I needed for the $10k min. spend, no issues. Manager was nice, told me it was no problem. Just asked for ID and rang up $1.5k in one txn.

YMMV. What gets me is the excuses these store managers use.. like they NEVER EVER allowed cc at that location...but before I've used cc and my friends have used cc there.
I just think they want to intimidate you from ever trying again. I am sure they know that if they said it nicely you might try again at another point when they are not there or with a different cashier.

The manager from store 1 seems to be a bit over the top. My god..just tell the customer its cash only and move on. Why go beserk and rip all the VRs and PP cards off the shelf like a barbarian.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.

Yes, I saw this disclaimer statement at two CVS stores today.

First one, no CC allowed for VR. This is a unique store with a very strict manager. Not too surprised and I retreated.

Later, had contention with my DS and decided to go for ride to separate for awhile and thought I would check another store. At first, and I don't know why, but was turned down initially by the register. The young male cashier offered to try it again and the CC payment was accepted. For CVS this dude was really exceptional in his public interaction and willingness to serve. AND, I am not saying that just because of the VR. He was pleasant and willing. I don't see that much at CVS. Anyway....finally, success.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The manager from store 1 seems to be a bit over the top. My god..just tell the customer its cash only and move on. Why go beserk and rip all the VRs and PP cards off the shelf like a barbarian?
^ I pictured a Viking.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:07 pm

Wait, they say cash or credit for prepaid cards but cash only for prepaid debit? What prepaid cards are they saying are OK with credit - things like phone cards? And reload cards aren't in that list, so if you can find a receptive cashier it might be worth making the argument that any payment method is permitted for VR.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:09 pm

VR Network Partners

Their front page only list some partners. Anyone know where to find a list like MP or RL has?

Edit: Seem I can't find RL's list. Used to be on front page. Any help there is appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Wait, they say cash or credit for prepaid cards but cash only for prepaid debit? What prepaid cards are they saying are OK with credit - things like phone cards? And reload cards aren't in that list, so if you can find a receptive cashier it might be worth making the argument that any payment method is permitted for VR.

I think they intend "prepaid cards" to mean traditional gift cards that function at only one location- Applebees, Amazon, etc, and not a cash equivalent card that can do cash advances or swiped for purchases almost anywhere. But good call on the VR, as it's technically not a debit card and the cards themselves say "Load $20-$500 to your prepaid card or online account".

Whether or not I can convince a cashier is one thing, whether or not they need to or can override the system is another. I think I'll try it tomorrow.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:45 pm

I think they intend "prepaid cards" to mean traditional gift cards that function at only one location- Applebees, Amazon, etc, and not a cash equivalent card that can do cash advances or swiped for purchases almost anywhere. But good call on the VR, as it's technically not a debit card and the cards themselves say "Load $20-$500 to your prepaid card or online account".

Whether or not I can convince a cashier is one thing, whether or not they need to or can override the system is another. I think I'll try it tomorrow.
Oh jesus, please dont scare me like this...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.