Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by TMKTakot
I'm trying to get a methodology for purchase/reward tracking. If there's an issue I would much prefer to identify it and rectify if possible before actually manufacturing on this card. If that is nickle & diming, then yes. I'm going to shake the tree and see how many leaves fall off. No reason to climb to the top and risk some limbs though.
I apologize my rude comments toward you. Nonetheless, you realize that this reward is a loophole since those VGC or Beans do not qualify for any reward. If you have an issue with the loophole on AMEX's generosity, go ahead and explain that to AMEX.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Originally Posted by ChuckHH
I apologize my rude comments toward you. Nonetheless, you realize that this reward is a loophole since those VGC or Beans do not qualify for any reward. If you have an issue with the loophole on AMEX's generosity, go ahead and explain that to AMEX.
Apology accepted, flame first ask questions later in this forum

I realize that the rewards are predicated on AMEX not having an accurate breakout nor the time/will to sift through accounts to find prepaids and gift cards. I'm of the opinions most front-line CSRs hardly know their hand from their foot and won't care, beyond that the risk here is small, the reward going forward is what i'm worried about. Since bad reporting removes potential MS profit.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

Apology accepted, flame first ask questions later in this forum

I realize that the rewards are predicated on AMEX not having an accurate breakout nor the time/will to sift through accounts to find prepaids and gift cards. I'm of the opinions most front-line CSRs hardly know their hand from their foot and won't care, beyond that the risk here is small, the reward going forward is what i'm worried about. Since bad reporting removes potential MS profit.
And yet you think special algorithm was used only in your statement calculation and yet you expect the front-line CSR to know why your calculation is off? What's wrong waiting for it to correct itself?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:17 pm

Bad idea to ignore faulty accounting, if they aren't going to give you the 5% where they should I don't need to MS on this anyway. Priorities friend. I have them.
Huh? Do you even understand why this works? It's actually faulty accounting when we are given the increased rebate. (But hey, who am I for calling you out)

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 25, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: US/AA, UA, AS, BA, IHG, HGP
Originally Posted by yoyo
And yet you think special algorithm was used only in your statement calculation and yet you expect the front-line CSR to know why your calculation is off? What's wrong waiting for it to correct itself?
Turn off your propane and put the lighter away, the issue with "waiting for it to correct itself" is that it won't correct itself. They aren't applying one algorithm to only my account, it would be system wide. Hence there is potential application for other card holders. CSR's probably wont be able to tell me exactly what that algorithm is, but they may be able to tell me that AU purchases are added to the card from most recent backwards after the primary's spending has been factored...

EDIT: Good work everyone, that is exactly what happened. AMEX took the spending from the primary, then added the AU purchases on top working from newest to oldest. Thanks for your help & support.

Last edited by TMKTakot; Feb 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:31 pm

I'm trying to get a methodology for purchase/reward tracking. If there's an issue I would much prefer to identify it and rectify if possible before actually manufacturing on this card. If that is nickle & diming, then yes. I'm going to shake the tree and see how many leaves fall off. No reason to climb to the top and risk some limbs though.
I believe the rewards that show up on your rewards account on delayed by a month (If this is true then someone needs to update the Wiki)so you can't just look at your statement that just closed and say your rewards balance is off . For example let say you spend $1K in Jan and your balance closes on Jan 28th and say you expect to get $10 in rewards. Well that $10 won't appear on your rewards balance until your Feb 28th statement closes.

This happened to me. Perhaps you are expecting your rewards to show up right as soon as your statement closed. I know its atypical for most credit cards to do that. I know my Chase credit card shows my points that I earned for that month as soon as my statement closes even though I haven't paid it off yet. I think Amex wants to make sure you pay off your balance before giving you the rewards. I think its stupid that there is a 1 month wait but whatcha gunna do.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:53 pm

EDIT: Good work everyone, that is exactly what happened. AMEX took the spending from the primary, then added the AU purchases on top working from newest to oldest. Thanks for your help & support.
This is good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:05 pm

My first bill closed in end of January but it takes the second billing cycle to end before reward dollars are posted. Also, I have been reading that Safeway does not count as a grocery store for the bonus category spend however can anyone verify if other brands owned by Safeway such as Tom Thumb count. Since I had no Tom Thumb spend in the first month I will have to wait till end of March to find out on my own.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:22 pm

Same 7-11 that was gas station for Visa, was not a gas station for Amex.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani
My first bill closed in end of January but it takes the second billing cycle to end before reward dollars are posted. Also, I have been reading that Safeway does not count as a grocery store for the bonus category spend however can anyone verify if other brands owned by Safeway such as Tom Thumb count. Since I had no Tom Thumb spend in the first month I will have to wait till end of March to find out on my own.
Yup. This is what I was exactly what I was trying to explain in my previous post. I think the wiki should be updated to reflect this (but I don't have access to editing wikis ATM) so that people don't get the wrong impression of when the reward dollars get posted.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
After being in MS game, I found that it is a good idea to post questions here, and dont call
I feel like if a person calls, that person will ruin the game. However, it is not fair for that person because others get rewarded. So complicated with this game.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:06 pm

So Amex is still not counting safeway as a 5X category? I thought they fixed that.
Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Oh man, I ordered AMEX GCs to hit the $6500 and bought some beans a few days later. Looks like the AMEX GCs posted the same day I bought the beans. Unfortunately, my beans purchase is showing before the GC one. Did I just screw myself?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by araknis
Oh man, I ordered AMEX GCs to hit the $6500 and bought some beans a few days later. Looks like the AMEX GCs posted the same day I bought the beans. Unfortunately, my beans purchase is showing before the GC one. Did I just screw myself?
You might only get 1% on the beans. Oh well. . . MS goes on.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:42 pm

Dumb question: do we need to do anything to obtain the blue cash bonus or does it just come off as a credit for the next statement?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.