Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:03 pm

Got a phone call earlier today verifying purchases on on my new Amex Blue card.

No FR, but I'm concerned.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by neuqua
Got a phone call earlier today verifying purchases on on my new Amex Blue card.

No FR, but I'm concerned.
how much were you spending? what CL?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130
how much were you spending? what CL?
I've spent $1.5 out of 7k CL.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by neuqua
I've spent $1.5 out of 7k CL.
did you just get the card? little more details will help put the picture together
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
go take an Antil ML course.... then we can chat. =)

Money laundering is not as simple as use cash to buy stuff.
Sophisticated ML involves a lot of resources. Gift cards and credit cards are just a piece of it.

I am in the financial services industry, I am my companies chief AML officer as part of my duties and obligations. I have also dealt with this when I worked for American Express (financial advisors) and UBS.

Silly boy if you don't think there is a risk.

For the other poster, there are 3 Amex Cards that I use. It has nothing to do with the credit limit, as a large portion were on a card with a NPSL (biz plat).

That card had about 6k in gc's. in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

My spider senses tell me, based on what I know of the industry through what I heard, saw, read, and personally deal with, it is recurring transactions from same vendor for same amounts, in relation to others and your own account spending. Other red flags, much like how if you go buy a bunch of GC's at Toys R Us or walmart, you will be flagged.... is large transactions from merchants whom don't typically transact those amounts.

Ie... grocery stores are safer as the average check/bill is about $300. Average CVS purchase... a LOT LOWER.... so if you are making a ton of purchases, large amounts, you are flagged. Then it is up to them to basically figure out if they will give you a call there and then, OR... watch you, gather more information, then go after you.

Once again, nothing we are doing is illegal, but rather not the customers Amex wants. (cheap .......s who only sign up for the bonuses, then churn cards, take advantage of loopholes, etc) without actually trying to use the card in the regular business manner.

Once again, they don't have to do business with us.

I am likely to limit my purchases of GC's to the amount I told Amex, and push more on the relationships I care less about.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:19 pm

I got the card about two weeks ago. About $1k has been MS at CVS (VR + a drink/chips) and the other $500 has been various other purchases.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

A Positive Data Point (since we are all getting a little nerved by these "calls"):

Received my BC 2 days ago, 2k purchase at CVS (added other items so total wasn't obvious)

- CL 20k
- No call, no fraud alert
- 2 year credit history with AmEx products
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:25 pm

The real datapoint will be if we see the cashback for the transactions. =P

(particularly for the cards that were opened in the past month or two.)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by maksimfa
The real datapoint will be if we see the cashback for the transactions. =P

(particularly for the cards that were opened in the past month or two.)
We'll know soon enough within 2-3 weeks time.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I wonder if purchases over 1k draw their ire.
I don't think there is a definite number to say what triggers anything on Amex end. Every individual is different due to different CLs. You can't compare how 1K affects someone who has a 5K CL vs. someone who has a 20K CL. 1K on a 5K CL is 20% of their available credit while 1K on a 20K CL is 5% of their available credit. I have bought $1500 from CVS last week and I haven't had a call.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I don't think there is a definite number to say what triggers anything on Amex end. Every individual is different due to different CLs. You can't compare how 1K affects someone who has a 5K CL vs. someone who has a 20K CL. 1K on a 5K CL is 20% of their available credit while 1K on a 20K CL is 5% of their available credit. I have bought $1500 from CVS last week and I haven't had a call.
It is more likely

% of transactions at one place.
# of those gift card transactions total.

Ie... if someone buys one time for $5k, or Every other day they have a transaction for $1k.

It will be interesting.

Where this may turn is having to extra step... and instead of cash back if Amex effectively shuts down the cb, to another 2% cb card, and using that cash back to offset spending money to acquire points or miles with a different issuer.

In any case, we must all do as we do anyway. =P Whatever will happen, will happen anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
And don't forget the "Member Since" factor. Someone who has a long positive history with now years of MS and ample CL should have much fewer issues. Ms. Tech and I went from feeding birds (8) with SPG & PRG to feeding them with CB. Will AMEX blink? Prob not, but as long as I get a few months of 5 digit returns it would have been worth it. At any rate I'm enjoying the thrill of $210 visits to our local CVSes!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Interesting reading from the last few days. I've got a low limit $2k and have on MS low amounts not even my full credit limit. I'm waiting for the rewards to post and I want to 3x at 61 days. I want to see if Amex can really tell what we are buying. Looking at my transaction history all of them say see receipt for details.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Got a call from Amex FR last night too. And they knew what was I buying.
Originally Posted by maksimfa
I got a call yesterday from Amex FR. Just FYI, they knew exactly that I was buying GC's, wanted to know why.

I was even cited the reason why others do it, for the bonus rewards, to meet minimum spending requirements, etc.

They ARE getting full transaction details from a bunch of merchants, so just FYI.

I would not be surprised if they start stripping out the gc's from the full reward.
BC is not a business card. So won't they shut you down right away the moment you tell them you are using it for business.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:21 pm

I'm on the fence about applying for this card, don't want to waste an EX inquiry. Kinda of concerned when/if this program gets nerfed/shutdown and don't want to be left with a less than optimum card. I have BCP and it got nerfed around a year after I received it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.