Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

˛ 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by rabatt
You missed the best part. He claims to have been doing two million a month, but what is more mind-boggling, are the people that actually believe him.
To some people in this forum, it is very real. You can actually find such people by their IDs. If it can be shortened as "MM", it actually means 2 Millions.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by romeogg
To some people in this forum, it is very real. You can actually find such people by their IDs. If it can be shortened as "MM", it actually means 2 Millions.
You’re obviously naive when it comes to the internet if you can’t recognize classic trolling behavior, as is anyone else who believes that guy.

Whether or not someone can do two million a month isn’t the question. But if they were, it is highly unlikely they would be going to FW for legal advice.

And if I wanted to abbreviate two million, I would have.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

You’re obviously naive when it comes to the internet if you can’t recognize classic trolling behavior, as is anyone else who believes that guy.

Whether or not someone can do two million a month isn’t the question. But if they were, it is highly unlikely they would be going to FW for legal advice.

And if I wanted to abbreviate two million, I would have.
And you are clearly missing the MM reference.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
And you are clearly missing the MM reference.
No I'm not. And that's exactly why I didn't abbreviate it.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Will someone just make a new song for us?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Will someone just make a new song for us?
Apparently he’s too busy being sued by Walmart for unauthorized use of their name in a Xmas song, so it may be awhile.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Apparently he’s too busy being sued by Walmart for unauthorized use of their name in a Xmas song, so it may be awhile.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:45 am

No I'm not. And that's exactly why I didn't abbreviate it.
I think at some point you may look back at this and say, "Oops."

I'm fairly new and an infrequent visitor and I'm pretty sure I get the reference...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
And your point?

Originally Posted by Tylt33
I think at some point you may look back at this and say, "Oops."

I'm fairly new and an infrequent visitor and I'm pretty sure I get the reference...
If you read my last comment, you're the one who should be saying "oops.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:43 pm

Statement just closed. Did about $10k in MS last month. Still alive.

Wondering if they are specifically targeting cvs. I've been buying at the other drugstore.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by sedubby
Statement just closed. Did about $10k in MS last month. Still alive.

Wondering if they are specifically targeting cvs. I've been buying at the other drugstore.
Wife and I are still alive doing $12K to $16K each per month, 98% at CVS. We've only been at it a few months.

My personal theory is that there is an absolute RD amount in the $2500 to $5000 range that is causing the shutdowns. I think the majority of the people who had exceeded this amount and stayed alive early on were those living in CA.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:13 pm

Deleted
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by gloobnib
Wife and I are still alive doing $12K to $16K each per month, 98% at CVS. We've only been at it a few months.

My personal theory is that there is an absolute RD amount in the $2500 to $5000 range that is causing the shutdowns. I think the majority of the people who had exceeded this amount and stayed alive early on were those living in CA.
I'm in CA. After this statement I will be in the $100k range for the year...so dunno.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:11 am

I recd. the letter 'we are closing your account in 30 days' I have 16k at 0% till April 2015, the letter does not say anything about the balance due.
Can I continue to carry a balance after the account is closed?
How would that affect the Credit score? (CL=0, balance 16k)

I wonder why they must 'close the card' instead of simply removing the 5% cash rebate feature/benefit on the card?

Last edited by prasha11; Dec 23, 2014 at 10:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.