Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 15, 4:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Wiki Link
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 27, 14, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by jiffyjiff View Post
My email this morning was the same email got - no reference to inconsistent purchases....
Just got my email of cancellation. No mention of purchasing. Any advice how to get reward money back is appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 14, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karenfly View Post
Just got my email of cancellation. No mention of purchasing. Any advice how to get reward money back is appreciated.
Again, this IS the usual email. A heads up to say we've cancelled the card, so tell ACM, change recurring subscriptions etc. The "reasons" are given in the follow up physical mail.
Old Nov 27, 14, 9:46 am

So unlike recently, everyone's cancellation this morning did not occur immediately after attempting a purchase somewhere.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Nov 27, 14 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 27, 14, 10:39 am

Just got an surprise email from Amex titled: "Important Notice: Your November 2014 Statement", hope I can redeem the RD soon.
Old Nov 27, 14, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
That is the standard cancellation email. The bit you quote comes from the hard copy (or if you call and ask why)
I thought some people were getting the email stating cancellation was due to "purchases are ineligible for rewards under the terms of the card"
Old Nov 27, 14, 11:43 am

should I cancel my card voluntarily ?

I got my card this May with 5K CL. charged about $2-4K each month with most of them on MS, till last month with $9K with CLI increase to 10K. this month so far for 1.5K. Dec closing date is 12/14.

I do not want sour relationship with AMEX. I have been thinking of closing my card voluntarily, any suggestions? Thanks

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Last edited by liw5215; Nov 27, 14 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 27, 14, 11:44 am

My statement closed yesterday. Card closed this morning. I already have negative balance on the card from the previous rewards posted. I have two questions:

Will amex send me a check for the negative balance?
The stmnt closed yesterday, and stmnt showed reward dollars posted to the account. Now that the account is closed how do I redeem reward dollars?
Old Nov 27, 14, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by RJ5929 View Post
My statement closed yesterday. Card closed this morning. I already have negative balance on the card from the previous rewards posted. I have two questions:

Will amex send me a check for the negative balance?
The stmnt closed yesterday, and stmnt showed reward dollars posted to the account. Now that the account is closed how do I redeem reward dollars?

You should have no problem to request a check from Amex, good luck for the unredeemed RD though.
Old Nov 27, 14, 2:56 pm

FICO scores

What affect are these closures - card closed by issuer - having on FICO scores?
Old Nov 27, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Kaboom. Card closed this AM after statement closed overnight. No purchases whatsoever since Blue Wed. Close to $2k in rewards gone.
Old Nov 27, 14, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhedonia View Post
What affect are these closures - card closed by issuer - having on FICO scores?
For any closure, any immediate impact on score is due to utilization (as your total credit decreases). And if you don't need to carry balances, you can control this by paying before statements cut. Average Age of Accounts isn't impacted until the line drops off your report about 10 years after closure.

For SCORE purposes, FICO makes no distinction between closed by consumer and closed by issuer. The difference is only on manual review. Cards can be closed for lack of use for example, so closed by issuer, as an isolated incident, is not a red flag.

The big impact is with Amex, who know why the card is closed. However, at least for now they seem to be keeping other cards open, so they haven't severed the relationship the way Citi and Chase did in similar situations.
Old Nov 27, 14, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA P4L, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by liw5215 View Post
I have been thinking of closing my card voluntarily, any suggestions?
You cannot close the account today (Thanksgiving) because that office at Amex is closed (a machine answers the phone).
Old Nov 27, 14, 4:36 pm

Statement closed yesterday. RDs posted few minutes ago. That was pretty quick.
Old Nov 27, 14, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by gomathis View Post
affirmative. allocated 70K to another amex card. these are all cards over 10 years old. YMMV
That's great to know this can be done. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 27, 14, 5:02 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by rabatt View Post
Considering that numerous people received their reward dollars after closure, maybe
your problem lies with how you dealt with them.

How I dealt with them? I was pretty polite and the CSRs I talked to seemed sympathetic and agreed that it wasn't right to just close an account with no warning. I had no rewards pending. I started spending in september after a 2 month hiatus and that month's take was the loss, but this was before statement closed so never had the chance to claim pending rewards.

Search this Thread