Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 15, 4:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Wiki Link
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500¹ spend in a reward year², you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases³ (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
¹ First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

² 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

³ 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 7, 14, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew View Post
I called in and apparently it was referring me being approved for my blue cash preferred from October. Has anyone else had this same message?
I think I just had the same experience. Filled in the app and it said "unable to approve at this time" which I read as a denial. Email said a decision had been reached; following the link showed this app as cancelled and my BCE (November) as approved). The letter attached to the cancelled app said they cancelled the duplicate app, but that they had approved the original. Presumably the BCE?

When you called, did you ask them to review your application? I'm wondering i calling will do anything.
Old Jan 7, 14, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsArbi View Post
You don't have to call. Just do it online once you register the blue, and the cl transfer is instant.
If this is only your second card, and it is new, I don't think the needed link appears. At least I didn't see one!
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Applied few days ago and got a pending/in progress application status when I checked online....got a phone call today from AMEX informing me that I had the maximum number and type of accounts and I have to close one of my existing accounts to approve the new/old amex cash account....I told the lady that I have to think about it and will call back.
I have the following accounts:
Personal-Blue,SPG,Hilton,PRG,Platinum
Biz-Gold,SPG

I tried to PC the blue to blue cash before applying but was denied 3 times ,I will see if they can do that now....the blue account is my oldest with a 15 years history and 50K credit line...not sure about closing that one ....advice is greatly appreciated about the best plan to go with...
Old Jan 8, 14, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 View Post
the blue account is my oldest with a 15 years history and 50K credit line...not sure about closing that one ....advice is greatly appreciated about the best plan to go with...
Once you get an AMEX card, the rest of the cards inherit the year you got your first AMEX. The month matters though. Since you are getting one in Jan of this year, your oldest account would be Jan, 1999 (2014 minus 15).
Old Jan 8, 14, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by vagrants View Post
Once you get an AMEX card, the rest of the cards inherit the year you got your first AMEX. The month matters though. Since you are getting one in Jan of this year, your oldest account would be Jan, 1999 (2014 minus 15).
True?

Does this mean that if you have 3x Amex card, and in his example the oldest is 15 years, that all 3 now show/count as having a life of 15 years for the purposes of FICO? This seems like it could greatly skew (in a positive way for us) the credit longevity factor.
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 View Post
Applied few days ago and got a pending/in progress application status when I checked online....got a phone call today from AMEX informing me that I had the maximum number and type of accounts and I have to close one of my existing accounts to approve the new/old amex cash account....I told the lady that I have to think about it and will call back.
I have the following accounts:
Personal-Blue,SPG,Hilton,PRG,Platinum
Biz-Gold,SPG

I tried to PC the blue to blue cash before applying but was denied 3 times ,I will see if they can do that now....the blue account is my oldest with a 15 years history and 50K credit line...not sure about closing that one ....advice is greatly appreciated about the best plan to go with...
Both the plat and the hilton card took some bad hits this year. Not sure which airline you fly though, but as an ms card isn't hilton dead in the water?
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI View Post
True?

Does this mean that if you have 3x Amex card, and in his example the oldest is 15 years, that all 3 now show/count as having a life of 15 years for the purposes of FICO? This seems like it could greatly skew (in a positive way for us) the credit longevity factor.
Google AMEX backdating. It's is true for real AMEX. Not co-branded ones like Citi AMEX/Fidelity AMEX/etc.
Old Jan 8, 14, 9:24 am

max BCP then PC to BC

does anyone see anything wrong with maxing out the 6% cap on my BCP and then requesting product change to the Blue Cash? I want to make sure I keep my reward dollars after I switch.
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Tofe View Post
does anyone see anything wrong with maxing out the 6% cap on my BCP and then requesting product change to the Blue Cash? I want to make sure I keep my reward dollars after I switch.
Multiple reports say they do not product change from BCP. You could close BCP and apply for BC.
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
and unless they do it correctly, it becomes a legal matter
They already have this in the fine print so they would just have to enforce it.

Eligible purchases do NOT include:
• fees or interest charges,
• balance transfers,
• cash advances,
• purchases of traveler’s checks,
• purchases or reloading of reloadable prepaid
cards, or
• purchases of any cash equivalents.
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Who has been using this card all this time? Any hiccups that we should aware of?
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:34 am

Applied got instant approval.

Have:
AMEX GOLD charge card 2001
"old Amex Blue" 2001 with $35,000 limit (this one is membership rewards points only)

Applied at 9am EST. I logged into amex website at 1pm and they had dropped the CL
from my BLUE down to $18,200. So hopefully this means I get a $15,000+ CL on the new card.
Old Jan 8, 14, 11:53 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by gomike View Post
They already have this in the fine print so they would just have to enforce it.

Eligible purchases do NOT include:
• fees or interest charges,
• balance transfers,
• cash advances,
• purchases of traveler’s checks,
• purchases or reloading of reloadable prepaid
cards, or
• purchases of any cash equivalents.
Yep this will need rapid liquidation as will be a much tougher small claims case
Old Jan 8, 14, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I was approved for the card. Looks like the lopped off some of my BCP limit. I had a 19.8k limit on there. I wasn't using much of that at all. I've been looking for a product to use when the TYP promo ended. I just found it. I'm a happy camper.
Old Jan 8, 14, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
Who has been using this card all this time? Any hiccups that we should aware of?
Got new card on Monday, used yesterday at CVS, 2 charges 504.95 OK, 3rd time "alternate tender" but later worked at Ralphs for small purchase.
No calls or emails from AmEx
CVS terminal issue?

Search this Thread