Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

˛ 'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Hey guys, I already have the Blue Cash Everyday (the new one). If I apply for the old, would having the "new card" impact my application?

Sorry 300 pages is tough to look for an answer to this question
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agharaibeh
Hey guys, I already have the Blue Cash Everyday (the new one). If I apply for the old, would having the "new card" impact my application?

Sorry 300 pages is tough to look for an answer to this question
You will still get the Blue Cash but you will not get the 5x according to data points posted in the thread's history.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You will still get the Blue Cash but you will not get the 5x according to data points posted in the thread's history.
What if I close it and reopen? Will I get the 5x?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Could you cite your source(s)? I had BCP when I applied for the BC, and I am getting 5x.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:39 am

Yea, amex shouldn't have that problem...

Perhaps Happy is mixing this up with Wells Fargo's rule of not getting 5x if you've had a cc in the past with them.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hitman1420

Perhaps Happy is mixing this up with Wells Fargo's rule of not getting 5x if you've had a cc in the past with them.
Right. Whether you can PC to the card from BCP or BCE seems to vary (with most people not succeeding, but some do) but once you have the card, you get the 5%
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by agharaibeh
What if I close it and reopen? Will I get the 5x?
before you do that, try calling first and depending on the rep, you can do PC from BCP to OB and immediately get 5% CB as long as you've spent $6.5k on your BCP. Just do a HUCA till you get the "right" CSR I had to call 3 times before I found one who said I can do PC from BCE and that time I already had $11K charged to the account so transition was immediate and I got 5% CB from GCs I bought at WAG that statement cycle. I can confirm, it is possible to do PC from BCE to OB depending on the CSR you talk to.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, HH, MR, Emirates
Originally Posted by repvip
Don't worry about it. I had the same thing happen about 3 months ago. Never got the letter. Tried reallocating credit again recently, and it worked just perfect.

I say try again after a few months. The account you are transferring credit from needs to have been open for at least 12 months, I believe.

Thank you.
How about to do the Cl increase on blue cash? How long do I have to wait?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
before you do that, try calling first and depending on the rep, you can do PC from BCP to OB and immediately get 5% CB as long as you've spent $6.5k on your BCP. Just do a HUCA till you get the "right" CSR I had to call 3 times before I found one who said I can do PC from BCE and that time I already had $11K charged to the account so transition was immediate and I got 5% CB from GCs I bought at WAG that statement cycle. I can confirm, it is possible to do PC from BCE to OB depending on the CSR you talk to.
That's very interesting! So if repeatable, you could spend $6K in groceries on the BCE/BCP and get 3%/6%, spend $500 more anywhere, and then start earning 5% on BC. Sounds like a good way to get over the spending cap and the spending threshold!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
btw, I've had the BCE about 10 months before I requested for PC. I don't know if there's a specific time frame that is considered before they allow a PC from one product to another. The rep also told me that PCs cannot be done for all amex cards, there are only certain ones within the same group like the OB, BCE and BCP are in the same group that one can do PC.

agharaibeh, since you didn't mention how long you've had your BCE, I cannot guarantee you'll be approved to do a PC to OB whether or not you have met the min spend of $6.5K but it's worth asking because of the huge CB you'll be getting once you're approved for PC. in my case, my CL from BCE was carried over to my new OB account and they gave me an add'l $5K CL. I can't ask for more.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:06 pm

Has anyone used their Amex card to MS outside of their home area and had significant issues? I've never received a fraud alert on my Amex Blue before and would like to avoid it if possible. However, I will be traveling a lot this month and would not like to miss out on the opportunity to MS.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogbyte
Has anyone used their Amex card to MS outside of their home area and had significant issues? I've never received a fraud alert on my Amex Blue before and would like to avoid it if possible. However, I will be traveling a lot this month and would not like to miss out on the opportunity to MS.
Not significant and not on an MS transaction: I have been MSing on the card, and went out of state, and spent ~ $40 at a Wholefoods (we do most of our real grocery spending there so apart from the location, not an unusual merchant) and got a fraud alert. Using the app, I was asked to confirm that was mine, along with 2 CVS instate MS transactions from a few days earlier. So not a big deal, but I was initially surprised, given the small transaction.

A month or so later, I returned to the same WF, and this time no fraud alert.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commdiver
Could you cite your source(s)? I had BCP when I applied for the BC, and I am getting 5x.
I only read the data points in this thread and also was told via PMs. So if it does not happen to you then it is great.

Originally Posted by hitman1420

No. I read it from this thread, also was told by 2 persons via PMs a few months ago when I mentioned I had Everyday, not knowing there is an Everyday card that earned cash. Both told me I would not get the 5x because they misunderstood my Everyday being the Cash earning card which is NOT the Everyday I got. The Everyday I got does not earn cash, but earn Membership Reward points, and was introduced this April. I got that card to "warehouse" my Membership Reward points so I did not need to keep the BGR when the $175 fee came due.

Originally Posted by silver6054
Right. Whether you can PC to the card from BCP or BCE seems to vary (with most people not succeeding, but some do) but once you have the card, you get the 5%
That is good to know. My understanding is, nobody could PC from SPG card since Dec. But it seems from AMEX own cards, the PC process still seems feasible.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver6054
That's very interesting! So if repeatable, you could spend $6K in groceries on the BCE/BCP and get 3%/6%, spend $500 more anywhere, and then start earning 5% on BC. Sounds like a good way to get over the spending cap and the spending threshold!
Only if you could PC it. The success of PC seems to depend on the AMEX policy at the time.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by dogbyte
If you call Amex up, their automated prompts say that there's no longer a need to set a travel advisory, they know what's going on based upon your purchases.

Well, it certainly didn't work for me. Called Amex, got prompt, talked to agent who said, no worries. Then nothing like going to an unknown CVS and getting the 3rd degree ($5K purchase), finally checking out, and fraud alert. Have to go out to parking lot and recall Amex and they removed the hold.

30 minutes later, had my cards. But... kicker is I must have found one of the original stores that were taken over, but the CC machine was never updated I suppose - billed as Revco... /wave 5%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.