Old Jan 8, 14, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330


Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Old Jan 1, 14, 9:13 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by hitman1420
Turns out I got somewhat low CL since I reported my true income (preparing for future FR by Amex). Will I be much more likely to be FR'd by going up to CL and paying off 5-7 times per month?

If so, after FR, will I be able to run up the CL as much as possible?
Are you serious with those two questions? You do realize one of the first questions they ask you is how do you make $X per year but charge $X per month? Do you have an answer for that ready? It isnt just give them your taxes and then go hog wild. Me thinks some of you are in for a rude awakening complete with AmEx ban.
swintec is online now  
Old Jan 1, 14, 9:48 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KWI
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by swintec
Are you serious with those two questions? You do realize one of the first questions they ask you is how do you make $X per year but charge $X per month? Do you have an answer for that ready? It isnt just give them your taxes and then go hog wild. Me thinks some of you are in for a rude awakening complete with AmEx ban.
I thought everyone said Amex conducts a "friendlier" FR these days without bans?
LoneTree is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 10:25 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Posts: 2,279
So is the point of this card the $21.05 profit on each VR card from CVS, and then funding your other spending from the profits?
Just no miles involved!!

JudyJFLA
JudyJFLA is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 11:13 am
  #154  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 1,135
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So is the point of this card the $21.05 profit on each VR card from CVS, and then funding your other spending from the profits?
Just no miles involved!!

JudyJFLA
There is really no such thing as free flights or free hotel rooms. Miles and points really just allow those things to be purchased at a deep discount and most of the chosen travel destinations require cash expenditures in excess of the amount that would be spent in comparison to less exotic destinations or in comparison to no travel at all. So I think a cash back card has an appropriate place on Flyertalk, especially if the profits are segregated for travel.
Andy2 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 11:17 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: A few
Posts: 5,492
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So is the point of this card the $21.05 profit on each VR card from CVS, and then funding your other spending from the profits?
Just no miles involved!!

JudyJFLA
That's right. Unless you value SPG or any other currency at 4.21 cents per point (and if you do, I suggest a quick visit to the doc!) then this is far superior
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 11:46 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Empire State
Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That's right. Unless you value SPG or any other currency at 4.21 cents per point (and if you do, I suggest a quick visit to the doc!) then this is far superior
+4.21

If you use the proceeds for revenue tickets on cash back cards the value is even higher.
cuebert is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 11:52 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: A few
Posts: 5,492
Originally Posted by cuebert
+4.21

If you use the proceeds for revenue tickets on cash back cards the value is even higher.
well the value of cash is pretty fixed, but I get what you mean

And let's all remember who is King
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 12:43 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by cashback
Just you.
Switched to a different computer and was able to pull up the offer.

Thanks, OP!
rharrigill is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:09 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Empire State
Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
And let's all remember who is King
True, unless you're in a Commonwealth

Points programs certainly aren't what they used to be. I paid 75 bucks for my last "award" ticket because the flight was less than three weeks away.
cuebert is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:28 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by swintec
You do realize one of the first questions they ask you is how do you make $X per year but charge $X per month? Do you have an answer for that ready? It isnt just give them your taxes and then go hog wild. Me thinks some of you are in for a rude awakening complete with AmEx ban.
Yea, I definitely will not be able to go as crazy as I thought I would be, but I would like to get in without getting burned.

Originally Posted by LoneTree
I thought everyone said Amex conducts a "friendlier" FR these days without bans?
Where did you see this? Would be interested to read up on that.
hitman1420 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:42 pm
  #161  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
greggarious is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:50 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 809
Originally Posted by greggarious
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
Yes. BB would shut you down.
cashback is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 1:58 pm
  #163  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,944
Originally Posted by greggarious
So what would happen if I started buying Vanilla Reloads, funding my BB account with them, then writing a check to myself for the $$? Would BB close my account?

I did the math, and if you did the 5k limit per month, at 5% you'd make about $250 per month.

My main concern is spending the beans - I have manufactured to hit spending reqs before, but usually just 2-3k, and just slowly used that money to pay my bills, but with the amounts involved here I'd have to write a check to myself or something...
Well, a common thing to do is to use BB to pay the credit card. Some are wary of doing that with an Amex credit card (as it is Amex to Amex) but many report no issue.

The problem with doing only $5k a month is that the returns aren't that great (more like $210 a month after the fees), and with this card you have to "waste" some rewards on the initial $6,500, getting 0.5%/1% where you could be getting 1.5% or more, depending on your other cards. And most of the risk of being shut down is still there with this level of spending.

On the other hand, if this card is useful for 5% on real groceries and gas, then you can view the extra $210 per month as a good perk!
silver6054 is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 2:05 pm
  #164  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by silver6054
Well, a common thing to do is to use BB to pay the credit card. Some are wary of doing that with an Amex credit card (as it is Amex to Amex) but many report no issue.

The problem with doing only $5k a month is that the returns aren't that great (more like $210 a month after the fees), and with this card you have to "waste" some rewards on the initial $6,500, getting 0.5%/1% where you could be getting 1.5% or more, depending on your other cards. And most of the risk of being shut down is still there with this level of spending.

On the other hand, if this card is useful for 5% on real groceries and gas, then you can view the extra $210 per month as a good perk!
My yearly expenses for gas an groceries are ~6500 so anything above that is gravy.
greggarious is offline  
Old Jan 1, 14, 2:09 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 769
is there anyway to convert the BC points to AMEX MR? I remember reading if you upgrade some cards, it can be converted to points if you upgrade. doubt this is one of them, but...
leftpinky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread