Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:21 pm

Hmmm. Less than 100 posts per year calls into question whether OP makes any meaningful contribution to FT and/or this forum.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwsea
...As has been pointed out, we don't know why deals die, but having flyertalk on the front page of Google spelling out in a wiki how to take advantage of a product's benefits isn't going to make that opportunity last any longer....
You or me or Rommie2k6 taking advantage of a product's benefits isn't going to make that opportunity last any longer, either. Strangely, not one of those advocating restrictions is suggesting that they should be cut out of the deal.

At base, the idea is selfish and exclusionary, no matter how you phrase it or how you scale the "in the know" zone.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mwsea
simply requiring registration before viewing the MS sub-forum could be beneficial. Additionally, I'm very in favor of not having these pages searchable by search engines.
The Talk Board did vote on something similar with the Mileage Run Deals forum, addressing both logging in and search engines, and it was shot down with a very close 5-4 vote. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revote on that in 2015 with a new Talk Board.

On February 29, 2012, Talkboard failed to pass 5-4:

"The TalkBoard would like to reduce visibility of perishable Mileage Run Deals content to search engines and non-members of FlyerTalk, therefore:

The TalkBoard recommends that, beginning 30 days from the completion of this vote, the Mileage Run Deals forum and its sub-forum Mileage Run Discussion be masked from users who are not registered and logged in."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...run-forum.html

Reading some of the past discussion on restrictions for this forum, though, you really do have a wide range of viewpoints. You're at the low end just asking for users to log in, while others are at much higher ends wanting 180 days/180 posts or even an advanced forum with some entry criteria ranging from a quiz to a selection committee. Others don't want any restrictions at all. When it comes down to voting, the Talk Board really can't address all those viewpoints in one single motion, and that's probably why there hasn't been a motion voted on so far.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat
How many votes or what percentage is required for passage?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
DO NOT move this thread. I want to start a discussion, and OBC was the final straw.

Seriously, why is this subforum still open for the world to see? At the very least it should be a private forum that is not indexed and not searchable by search engines.

Can the mods explain why this forum is still open? Who is in charge of this forum?

I'm sick and tired of seeing deals killed!!!

Please no discussion about who is at fault for the recent incident, I just want a good reason why this subforum is still open.

Others please feel free to "cast" your vote. Should this subforum be closed off from the public?
It's open because this place is a for-profit business. Making money is the only concern of this business. More clicks=more money for the owners. Very simple. They don't care about anything else. If you think otherwise you are a fool.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Please point out this "beating the drums". I don't see any. Someone who jumps directly into hyperbole is not someone others will listen to.

You also confuse correlation with causation. You don't actually have a clue why AmEx shut people down. All you have is speculation.
prove this.... prove that.... blah blah blah...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
How many votes or what percentage is required for passage?
There's been a couple 6-3 motions that have passed when all the members voted which would be 2/3. I don't know what they need if someone fails to vote or abstains. All the votes are on line here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...decisions-605/
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
2. Maybe it's time to hold another vote, and how many Talk Board members actually represent their "constituents" here?
If you want to run for Talk Board, now is the time. From the Community Director:
Talkboard elections: applications for candidates open thru Nov 8

Are you aware that we have a Talkboard? Ths is a member elected group who help guide the course of FlyerTalk. They provide a Townhall election so that all members can express their opinions about how FlyerTalk can be improved. Learn more here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/talkthevote/apply.php

Would you like to participate? Applications will be taken until 8pm PST, Sat, Nov 8.

Have questions for the candidates? Send them to [email protected] for consideration. Questions will be accepted thru Nov 10.

FlyerTalk is an international board with 40% of its contributors from outside the USA. Please do your part to ensure that the board genuinely represents all of FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Have to admit that I didn't read the entire Fred but I feel like throwing my two cents in anyway. IMHO this whole discussion is nonsense. I see ppl on one side complaining about everything, blogs, boards etc. since they want to keep all the knowledge to themselves.

On the other hand there are ppl like me who discovered this hobby just recently and value the great input one can get from the aforementioned blogs, boards. I wonder how the "keepers" got into this game in the first place. Did they all figure these methods out by themselves? Without stumbling upon it during an unrelated Google search? Unlikely!

Why do these same ppl who dread the board keep on posting every single day and inflate the number of posts and responses? This is why News outlets discover these Freds. You can read about MS on Fox business and everywhere. You can't reverse history. Many tried, never worked!

The way I see it the only terminal way to put a stop to MS is the financial institutions by cutting cashback rates or putting caps on their payouts. Ever wondered why Chase Freedom or Discover it are barely mentioned when it comes to MS? Or the Sallie Mae card - wonderful for "normal" ppl but useless for our intentions.

Also airlines could further devalue their loyalty/miles programs. But I'm almost positive that these guys make a lot of money from folks who can't play this game. There may be a couple thousand folks like us in the nation but there are millions who lose out on those deals and they're the ones paying our rewards dollars or miles with their sky-high fees and interest rates.

*cowering and waiting for the first stones to fly in*
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:43 am

Freds as in Flintstone? Yeah, there's stones to be thrown there.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Have to admit that I didn't read the entire Fred but I feel like throwing my two cents in anyway. IMHO this whole discussion is nonsense. I see ppl on one side complaining about everything, blogs, boards etc. since they want to keep all the knowledge to themselves.

On the other hand there are ppl like me who discovered this hobby just recently and value the great input one can get from the aforementioned blogs, boards. I wonder how the "keepers" got into this game in the first place. Did they all figure these methods out by themselves? Without stumbling upon it during an unrelated Google search? Unlikely!

Why do these same ppl who dread the board keep on posting every single day and inflate the number of posts and responses? This is why News outlets discover these Freds. You can read about MS on Fox business and everywhere. You can't reverse history. Many tried, never worked!

The way I see it the only terminal way to put a stop to MS is the financial institutions by cutting cashback rates or putting caps on their payouts. Ever wondered why Chase Freedom or Discover it are barely mentioned when it comes to MS? Or the Sallie Mae card - wonderful for "normal" ppl but useless for our intentions.

Also airlines could further devalue their loyalty/miles programs. But I'm almost positive that these guys make a lot of money from folks who can't play this game. There may be a couple thousand folks like us in the nation but there are millions who lose out on those deals and they're the ones paying our rewards dollars or miles with their sky-high fees and interest rates.

*cowering and waiting for the first stones to fly in*
I think there can be a balance instead of an all-or-nothing approach. Perhaps have a section of the MS forum that is open to all and has a lot of the big, more stable deals (AP, Serve, etc). Then have a restricted section that requires a certain post count.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dukerau
I think there can be a balance instead of an all-or-nothing approach. Perhaps have a section of the MS forum that is open to all and has a lot of the big, more stable deals (AP, Serve, etc). Then have a restricted section that requires a certain post count.
But I don't think post count nor date first joined are good indicators to use. Anyone can post dozens of posts in a day on random topics without any meaningful content. Actually that will encourage people to post on random things just to "up their post count".

Restricting things to the date first joined also doesn't make sense because you could have someone who joined 5 years ago who visits the boards once a year and doesn't really provide any input, while you could have someone who joined last month actually contributing on a day to day basis.

I don't agree that all people who joined recently are newbies. I've lurked this forum for years and just never registered because I had nothing to say. It's posts like this that encouraged me to make an account to "establish" myself. But that in itself is silly in my opinion.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Doesn't matter. Anyone with something of substance to say is long gone.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ceverett
Doesn't matter. Anyone with something of substance to say is long gone.
^^^
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
^^^
Tell him what he's won...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.