Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
Perhaps an alternative to closing down the MS thread might be to ask all newbies to read closely before executing.
Well, perhaps the wiki should be utilized better. Have a look at the AZ payments thread. That thread says what can be found IN the thread, but without links to the explanations (posts). How is the wiki supposed to help if it just lists off things that CAN be found in the thread, without references? You might as well tell any newbs reading that thread, in the wiki, "read through the entire thread."

Some might argue that providing links, in individual thread wikis, is spoon feeding. At some point, the line has to be drawn in the sand, and the definition of "spoon fed" needs to be defined.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by JerMah
Well, perhaps the wiki should be utilized better. Have a look at the AZ payments thread. That thread says what can be found IN the thread, but without links to the explanations (posts). How is the wiki supposed to help if it just lists off things that CAN be found in the thread, without references? You might as well tell any newbs reading that thread, in the wiki, "read through the entire thread."

Some might argue that providing links, in individual thread wikis, is spoon feeding. At some point, the line has to be drawn in the sand, and the definition of "spoon fed" needs to be defined.
The wiki should just be a link to Mr Bow Tie - that's what people really want. They aren't interested in reading.

And even if they were interested, everyone has to admit the search function on FT simply blows - you can't find squat.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I for one believe that although MS is an excellent tool, it also has the potential to bring about very bad consequences for everyone, though the risk of getting hit with those consequences is exponentially higher if you don't have the proper know how.

As it has been making itself more clear in the past few months, I have come to get PMs and read blog posts about "new guys" skipping the instructions and diving in headfirst and getting "stranded". Often times, people get stuck with things they don't want and/or have accounts closed, though my gut feeling is that it happens to the "new guys" vastly more often than some of the more seasoned vets.

This brings me to my proposal:

Shunt this forum to those that have been around the FT community for a little while and thus, have likely gained a decent understanding of the miles and points world. Not only will it probably lead to fewer strandings, but I believe it would be a nice reward for those that are true FT community members, rather than leeches...

Or perhaps just close new postings until you've hit a certain threshold?

I am very curious to learn other opinions and if there is a solution to be had.

Cheers
=====================
Interesting take, especially about "leeches" (?).

Anyway, my attempts to understand MS in a way that works for me has led to many questions here, no doubt, annoyances to many. However, until the latter year Staples GC buy (MIR cards back, which I still didn't receive) AND the recent OM MC GC discounts, I haven't tried anything else. I read the thread but was prevented from early participation due to being in a non-OM town for days.

When I did travel into an OM city, I then pulled the bow string and fired within the limits of the promotion.

A kindly instruction from KennySAT got me on my way to liquidation. (Thanks again.)

I scouted WMs in the city where I was and the city I am in now and still am too risk averse. Hence, the questions I submit as the WM reflects a lack of understanding and thus can't explain "stuff". So, I am not stranded yet.

I actually like the post limit idea, but in the thread itself. Trouble is the convolution occurs early. I like the idea of a first thread for efficient info and a sub-thread kind of thing for the back and forth that blazes the rabbit trail away.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Well RFD, you sure seem prophetic about now. How many unnecessary new threads asking basic questions have been started by 'Jan2014'ers in the last week? A dozen?
------------------------------------------------
In the words of that prolific nerdy guy: "Did I do 'dat'?!"
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie

I'd rather have a newbie read the blogs and learn the basics from bowtie man and other blogs and then become a FT member and contribute across the forums, instead of lurking on FT and trying out MS ideas without fully understanding the implications and risks involved. I'm sure there are newbies who bought Amex gift cards and tried to purchase MO's at WM, or tried to buy 10k of GC's at a local supermarket. I'd call FT an intermediate level course, with the bloggers being the beginners 101 course.
==========================
^
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f0xx
Good. Then they'll learn to actually read, or post in the correct place. ^
No, they'll more likely just become angry at the peoples who post these unnecessary screeds. I'm pretty sure they can read, just as I'm pretty sure that you don't know their actual motivations or level of effort.

I personally find the nasty responses to be worse than the questions.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Followed closely by 50 posts by people who just can't stop themselves from replying with a reprimand rather than just ignore the question.
Sounds like it's time for some moderator intervention if it's got that bad. FT is supposed to be a welcoming community, not one where a few people can run every new poster off.

From the guidelines:

Welcome Newcomers - link to this guideline
FlyerTalk is friendly, informative, fun and thriving. When newcomers arrive, welcome them. By helping folks learn, you provide a shining example of what this community is about, and you help ensure that FlyerTalk continues to flourish. New members may not understand FlyerTalk and its history as well as you do. Remember we were all newbies once.

If you notice a poster, newcomer or not, asking a question that has been answered previously or is answered in the forum FAQs, please be patient. If you wish to reply, do so in a helpful manner, avoiding simply saying: "Do a search."

We suggest this form of reply and a template for it is here: "Your question arises from time-to-time in this forum. One thread which discusses it is here [INSERT LINK TO THREAD OR FORUM FAQ] and using FlyerTalk's advanced search feature to search this forum with the terms [insert relevant term(s)] will yield other threads. If you are finding difficulty using the search feature, please send a private message or email to a forum moderator for help."
Notice there's no exception listed here for the MS forum.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Sounds like it's time for some moderator intervention if it's got that bad. FT is supposed to be a welcoming community, not one where a few people can run every new poster off.

From the guidelines:

Welcome Newcomers - link to this guideline

Notice there's no exception listed here for the MS forum.
I agree I have learned a lot and been helped looking at new ideas due to this thread for my MS.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:35 pm

PaulMSN, tom911, thank you.

I am a newcomer myself. But better later than never

I have learned a few tricks of the high art of MS - thanks to this forum.

If the access is limited to a few chosen, it will be bad for the community.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Followed closely by 50 posts by people who just can't stop themselves from replying with a reprimand rather than just ignore the question.
Are you really going to start this again?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Are you really going to start this again?
I didn't start it. Read the thread! (rimshot)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon

There's no sign of that happening. Any restriction would need to be voted on by the Talk Board, and not a single motion has been introduced in the Talk Board forum in the 5 weeks the topic has been discussed here. It's not something the membership gets to vote on.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by gregwilber
I agree I have learned a lot and been helped looking at new ideas due to this thread for my MS.
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
PaulMSN, tom911, thank you.

I am a newcomer myself. But better later than never

I have learned a few tricks of the high art of MS - thanks to this forum.

Playing Devil's advocate here… Can you qualify or quantify the negative consequences some form of regulation/restriction would bring to the community?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Playing Devil's advocate here… Can you qualify or quantify the negative consequences some form of regulation/restriction would bring to the community?
This tip wouldn't haven't been posted since the poster joined this month. It saved me the $45 Sam's Club membership fee I was about to spring for to keep my CTYP liquidation route open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.