Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Several dozen
Any word on the FLs from Bristol to Orange? Going up the Great Wagon Road in a few weeks and thinking of adding it to my paper route.

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
I hit about 5 FL 3 months ago and each one was different. They were all off 234 from Manassas to Woodbridge.. only 1 allowed me to do more than 1 swipe.. 3 asked to see my card so i did the same as you did with my real debit card. Was told the same thing 'NO GC'.. just not worth it for me to get $500 for each store.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Any word on the FLs from Bristol to Orange? Going up the Great Wagon Road in a few weeks and thinking of adding it to my paper route.
SOrry didnt go that far south and west... only went as far as woodbridge, va
Old May 20, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Several dozen
Will give them a try on my run up from Florida. Didn't have time to do a paper route last trip up to Williamsburg-DC-Orange.

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
SOrry didnt go that far south and west... only went as far as woodbridge, va
Old May 24, 2018, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by devastitis
It’s completely YMMV. I haven’t had any success in a long time, but haven’t tried in a long time. But with WMs drying up, I’m tempted to try again.
why is everyone saying WM is drying up? Been business as usual in south Texas for the past three months. Sure, sometimes you get the odd store with different policies or annoying employee, but overall I have encountered no issues
Old May 24, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by oneworld82

why is everyone saying WM is drying up? Been business as usual in south Texas for the past three months.

The WM people at your WM aren't the same WM people at the WMs people are being told No.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena
The WM people at your WM aren't the same WM people at the WMs people are being told No.
exactly - and this has been the case for literally years now, so no need to say "MO at WM are dying out"
Old May 25, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Lots
exactly - and this has been the case for literally years now, so no need to say "MO at WM are dying out"
but that won’t stop people from saying it or asking ymmv questions haha
Old May 25, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Talking

why is everyone saying WM is drying up? Been business as usual in south Texas for the past three months. Sure, sometimes you get the odd store with different policies or annoying employee, but overall I have encountered no issues
The Wallys I go to when travelling for work during the week (Middle of Nowhere Mid West) allow me to do whatever I want, as long as I do not give them cash (to many counterfeit bills according to them) and the machine accepts the PIN Based Transaction. I do $1,000 MO with split payment and $0.68 fee in cash per MO without a problem, and sometimes the CSRs swipe my VGCs on their side. Now, if I try to do that where I live, that would be an immediate NO and show me your Debit Cards now. So, like others have said, it all depends where the Wallys are located
Old May 25, 2018, 10:03 am

DFW is south Texas?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:01 pm
CDO
Suspended

BAU in PNW as well, sky aint fallin
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:13 pm
CDO
Suspended

Plus, there's not only WM as an option
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:27 am

Can anyone tell me if OVs work at Harris teeter? All the kroger's in my state are closing in a month or so and they've already gotten rid of money orders.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:05 pm

Hey OneWold82, any luck with HEBs? I'm in Austin and just recently got into MS. So far no luch at HEBs or other local "mexican" grocery stores that sell MOs. I would have thought that given the customer base they serve, these Mexican stores would be an easy place to convert, yet I found they only take cash.
Any reccomendations in Texas?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Carlos_OL
Hey OneWold82, any luck with HEBs? I'm in Austin and just recently got into MS. So far no luch at HEBs or other local "mexican" grocery stores that sell MOs. I would have thought that given the customer base they serve, these Mexican stores would be an easy place to convert, yet I found they only take cash.
Any reccomendations in Texas?
That's because most Mexicans deal in cash only. My wife's father lives in a border town in south TX and this is the way it is by him so I assume it'll be the same by you.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:24 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlitos
The Wallys I go to when travelling for work during the week (Middle of Nowhere Mid West) allow me to do whatever I want, as long as I do not give them cash (to many counterfeit bills according to them) and the machine accepts the PIN Based Transaction. I do $1,000 MO with split payment and $0.68 fee in cash per MO without a problem, and sometimes the CSRs swipe my VGCs on their side. Now, if I try to do that where I live, that would be an immediate NO and show me your Debit Cards now. So, like others have said, it all depends where the Wallys are located
88 cents here for mo's... your getting a deal, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.