Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:55 am

Why would they have just raised prices on MOs if they no longer intended to sell them ? Calling is a waste of time. You likely received those responses because it would mean one less person in line for the cashier to wait on.
cruisr likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by la_cigogne
I called to ask if they were selling MOs (naturally I havent mentioned gebit). Most were not selling MOs, outside of 2 who were cash only.
I live in LA, Culver City area. Are you near me? I was going to try to hit the local Von's, CVS, PO and more to liquidate a $100 test gift card. Any luck around me?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:03 pm

Hey Neighbor ! ( I am in Santa Monica) No luck on the west side ! (I have inquired dozens of grocery stores in culver too). I spent a LOOOOOOOT of time researching an alternative to wally here but unfortunately I am now fairly confident that MO purchase in LA is dead outside of Wallys. So if you have business to do in the valley or South (or anywhere near a wally ! RIPCrenshawWally) make sure you bring your Gebit. They only accept 1 swipe/MO, so its not that great ! Also when you travel outside of SoCal. make sure you check the places where you can MS hard. I ll be using Plastiq to meet the MSR from now on.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:08 pm

Hey there! hmmm...disappointing to know... I may still do a test run with a $50 GF at some stores around me to see if it could work. I'm wondering if it just takes one small gas station to get the job done. I'm assuming you've tried Von's, Ralphs, Safeway and Riteaids? Post offices as well?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Yes I did Von's, Ralphs, Safeway and Riteaids (and many more including but not limited to cvs, whole foods, gelsons, smart and final....) some of them do sell MOs but cash only. As said, if it can save you some time, I am fairly confident that grocery stores are NOT selling MO with debit card. Gas stations are not selling MO as far as I know but I havent tried to ask the independent ones. Although I d say that you will waste your time looking for a gas station that sell MO against gebits, if you ever happen to find one (aka the chosen one !) please please please let me know through PM.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

oops and I forgot to say; PLEASE dont buy $50 (or even $100) gebits the fees (MO + gebit) could cost you more than 10%. At this rate you better just use plastiq or paypal and save some time !
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by la_cigogne
Hey Neighbor ! ( I am in Santa Monica) No luck on the west side ! (I have inquired dozens of grocery stores in culver too). I spent a LOOOOOOOT of time researching an alternative to wally here but unfortunately I am now fairly confident that MO purchase in LA is dead outside of Wallys. So if you have business to do in the valley or South (or anywhere near a wally ! RIPCrenshawWally) make sure you bring your Gebit. They only accept 1 swipe/MO, so its not that great ! Also when you travel outside of SoCal. make sure you check the places where you can MS hard. I ll be using Plastiq to meet the MSR from now on.
Uff, hopefully you will not come to my neck of the woods and hit it hard. Here, one $1,000 MO @ Wally with split payment is the norm every day. So far, 3 years after the Amex Blue and Red Birds die, it has been a Business as Usual thing, and contraire to what people have predicted, it is still alive and going, thanks to NO hard hitters in the surroundings. Cali? the only good thing about Cali is buying the Simon VGCs and bringing them to the Middle of nowhere Mid West to cash them
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by zeldazoo22
I live in LA, Culver City area. Are you near me? I was going to try to hit the local Von's, CVS, PO and more to liquidate a $100 test gift card. Any luck around me?
If you're asking about PO, you need to read some more.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Both of the 5 post posters need to read much more than a week and a day.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Had my first denial at a Food Lion today (Northern Virginia, near IAD). Have bought MO with gebit at this and many other Food Lion before, but today a “Customer Service Manager” was behind the service desk and asked to see my card. I gave her my real debit card to examine but she then gave me a long look when I switched to MGC. She said no gift cards allowed, so then I let her void the transaction.

First time this has happened at FL for me ever... it has been the best place for me to unload Vanillas. Did $2K with multiple swipes at another FL just yesterday.

Any other recent Food Lion datapoints? Hopefully this was just an overzealous manager, rather than the party being over.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Had my first denial at a Food Lion today (Northern Virginia, near IAD). Have bought MO with gebit at this and many other Food Lion before, but today a “Customer Service Manager” was behind the service desk and asked to see my card. I gave her my real debit card to examine but she then gave me a long look when I switched to MGC. She said no gift cards allowed, so then I let her void the transaction.

First time this has happened at FL for me ever... it has been the best place for me to unload Vanillas. Did $2K with multiple swipes at another FL just yesterday.

Any other recent Food Lion datapoints? Hopefully this was just an overzealous manager, rather than the party being over.
the closer to DC the FL is, the higher likelihood for them to reject GCs for MO. The further out I went in either Va or Md, the more success I’ve seen.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by devastitis

the closer to DC the FL is, the higher likelihood for them to reject GCs for MO. The further out I went in either Va or Md, the more success I’ve seen.
Exactly what I figured. Farther south in VA, no issues at Food Lion, Kroger or Publix.

Does Giant in NoVA accept GC for MO?
Old May 14, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Lots

Exactly what I figured. Farther south in VA, no issues at Food Lion, Kroger or Publix.

Does Giant in NoVA accept GC for MO?
It’s completely YMMV. I haven’t had any success in a long time, but haven’t tried in a long time. But with WMs drying up, I’m tempted to try again.
wanalaugh74 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:12 pm

Does anyone have any good alternatives to wally in Chicago?
Old May 18, 2018, 10:18 pm

I hit about 5 FL 3 months ago and each one was different. They were all off 234 from Manassas to Woodbridge.. only 1 allowed me to do more than 1 swipe.. 3 asked to see my card so i did the same as you did with my real debit card. Was told the same thing 'NO GC'.. just not worth it for me to get $500 for each store.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.