Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:55 pm

At Food Lion I have used 8 cards for just under 3k in MOs. I'm not sure there is a limit for a single transaction. .45 for a $500 MO.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by CrediPig
At Food Lion I have used 8 cards for just under 3k in MOs. I'm not sure there is a limit for a single transaction. .45 for a $500 MO.
Good info for when I'm in FL country. And, the max amount of MO is a plus for banking them! Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
Originally Posted by Lemma
It's 10 swipes per transaction at least at the one store I tried to do 11 - at least that's the register's limit, obviously cashiers may question the transaction before you get that far. The chaos that ensued when I tried it and the 11th card wouldn't go through and they couldn't figure out how to void the transaction was enough to prevent me from attempting it again.
This is helpful, as I've been limiting my Kroger MOs to two @ $1k each per visit, as that only requires 4 swipes ($500 vgc). I was curious if I could go any higher, but hadn't tested it for the very reason that happened to you on card #11.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:49 pm

I've found limiting my MO to 4x500 is probably the best long term approach unless you feel really confortable with the store. Lately I've been paying the fees with dollar bills, which I flash around at the beginning. Could be good luck, but it seems a more reassuring approach.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I've found limiting my MO to 4x500 is probably the best long term approach unless you feel really confortable with the store..
+1
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:26 pm

Can we do Cash Advance at Banks using these prepaid cards? Anyone tried?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by geewitz71
Can we do Cash Advance at Banks using these prepaid cards? Anyone tried?
Go through some of the prepaid threads to get your answer. You'll probably get shut down very quickly with some of them out there. Good luck!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Any good places to get money orders in the NJ/NYC area except Walmart?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:37 pm

Anyone know the maximum allowed per MO at Winn-Dixie in Florida?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Evant80
Anyone know the maximum allowed per MO at Winn-Dixie in Florida?
The Winn Dixie in Casselberry is $500 per MO. Publix is also $500 per MO @ .89.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Any good places to get money orders in the NJ/NYC area except Walmart?
uhhh US Postal Service?????
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cabby
uhhh US Postal Service?????
They won't take GCs.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Multiple swipes over a period of time is likely to draw unwanted attention. I wouldn't do more than 4. Plus, I would spread the love around. Just my .2. If MOs die, it will get much harder to MS for all of us.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:39 pm

In the NorthEast, I discovered last week that Stop & Shop works as well for money orders with debit cards.
But today I went and was told Cash Only. I explained that I had done this last week (always a pointless thing to say) "Not here you didn't"

So, against the MS spirit of not arguing, I went to the corporate website and asked for clarification, explaining what had happened. A few hours later I got a call from the manager of the particular store, apologizing and explaining that the policy had recently changed to allow debit card purchases, and the employee I had spoken to had been unaware, but now she was.

So I can go there again. She will probably spit on my MO or something, but the policy has been made clear to all employees.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:56 pm

I know I've read in a million places that the PO doesn't accept gift cards. Is it hard coded into the system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.