Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Please read this thread for help with Debit cards: PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards

Many stores that accept Gebit for regular purchases will not accept Gebit for a MO purchase.

Supermarket chain policy varies by region, and even by store to store within the same region.
e.g. Kr0g3r may allow such in the South and Southeast, but does not in West, Southwest, Northwest, etc

Publix & Walmart & Winn Dixie = NO auto drain.
Publix & Walmart allow splits

Places that sell MO (need more DPs):

Supermarket and Grocery Stores:
Walmart
Shoprite (?)
Stop & Shop
Weis (cash only)
Wegmans (?)

Drug Stores:
CVS (?)
Rite Aids (acquired by Walgreens)
Walgreens
​​​​​​​
Convenience Stores:
7-11 (?)
QuickChek (?)
Wawa (?)
Print Wikipost

Where to buy money orders with prepaid/gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
I was wondering whether those would pass inspection.

There are cards that say "Gift Card" and others that say "... Prepaid Visa Card". Intersting, those latter ones are more expensive to buy, but I'm still totally fine with it to meet minimum spend as long as it means not too much effort in finding a place to sell me a MO for it.

Do you have actual positive experience of them accepting the "Prepaid" cards after their inspection?
Originally Posted by craz

This is where the MVD comes in very handy as I get 2 $1ks with 1 swipe. I would think having to do 4x @ $500 to unload the GCs would get them annoyed, as it doesnt help move the line.
FlyingExplorer is referring/asking about Gift Card/prepaid card, U are selling him the use of MVD which has probably been locked(or will be) like many others.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
I haven't used MVDs due to the shut-downs and the lack of billpay.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by prasha11
FlyingExplorer is referring/asking about Gift Card/prepaid card, U are selling him the use of MVD which has probably been locked(or will be) like many others.
Im not selling anything. 1- I always carry my 1 shut down MVD, just in case they ask me to hand them my DC and they either want to see it or swipe it.They can swipe it all theyw ant its been closed and will come up Denied. Tahts alot better then handing them a GC and being shown the door and maybe they will remember me

2- If a person is getting the MOs @ the MC , the lines from TG till mid Jan are gonna be very long and take awhile till you reach the counter. Lets say you swiped your GC and then say I need another $500 GC they will tell you Why didnt say so to begin with I could have done 2 at once. I couldnt then say I need a 3rd for $500, that for sure will tick them off. So I can leave with 2 @ $500 or use any of my 4 other MVDs and get 2 @ $1k to begin with, if you get more then $2k in MOs they will most likley write you up

Personally Im holding off on any more GCs till after mid Jan, its not worth it to me to stand in the line for at times upwards of 20 mins for 1 or 2 $500s.Although as you get close to the front of the line and can overhear the conversions at the counter some are really wacky eg the guy in LA who purchased a ton of stuff online where the sales tx was very low and demanded that they get a full refund at that store including CAs very high sales tax.The woman who tried returning a pair of shoes that WM sells but that didnt come from WM, different # codes on the box, on top of which she wanted ca$h back even thou she didnt have a receipt

So if Im gonna have to wait on line I want to max out what I walk away with
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by craz
2- If a person is getting the MOs @ the MC , the lines from TG till mid Jan are gonna be very long and take awhile till you reach the counter. Lets say you swiped your GC and then say I need another $500 GC they will tell you Why didnt say so to begin with I could have done 2 at once. I couldnt then say I need a 3rd for $500, that for sure will tick them off. So I can leave with 2 @ $500 or use any of my 4 other MVDs and get 2 @ $1k to begin with, if you get more then $2k in MOs they will most likley write you up
Interesting trick! not quite clear, so I am repeating.
1) Ask for 1000 MOs
2) If asked to show the debit card give MVD
3) Take back and hide it but swipe the 2 other Giftcards of $500 each with pin. 2 swipes - cashier would not wonder whats going on?
4) Can this trick be done for CA at the branch(temp vanilla)?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Interesting trick! not quite clear, so I am repeating.
1) Ask for 1000 MOs
2) If asked to show the debit card give MVD
3) Take back and hide it but swipe the 2 other Giftcards of $500 each with pin. 2 swipes - cashier would not wonder whats going on?
Thats not what I said

1- regarding GCs $500 value I have both a MVD that was shut down and the GC in my hand, should they ask to see my DC or place it in their hand ,I give them my MVD. Now if the return it to me for me to swipe I swipe the GC, if they say they will swipe it thats OK since the MVD is closed and will be denied so nothing lost

B- you cant ask for $1k MOs since it will require 2 swipes and telling them you can only redraw $500 max, sometimes thats OK other times it will send the GC flag up and theyd want to see the DC in their hand and swipe it. So when dealing with GCs of $500 I ask for 1 $500 MO, after they give it to me I ask for another 1 and they hit me with why didnt I tell them that to begin with

C- Im sure with the right person you can ask for 2 $1k MOs and swipe 4 different GCs, I just had really bad luck with them messing it up on 1 swipe which means it has to be KOed, so I stick with 1 GC per MO unless Im using my MVDs where its 2 @ $1k each

Ive been very successful in getting my 1st MO for $1k and then my 2nd for $500, in that order, but I prefer getting 2 @ $1k via my MVD instead

If a person is using only GCs then its best to get an MO for $500 max, less of a chance they will think a GC is at play, I also have the $.70 to pay for the fee and ask that they deduct it 1st from the total amount to prevent them from trying to get the whole $500.70 off the GC which cant be done and then it gets Denied. If asked I simply say my bank has a max of $500 per use, never had a problem.It must be simple so they get it and can understand it. If you try and teach them geometry instead of basic math youre dead meat, so keep it simple and plain and they wont fight you.

I never tried using a temp for a CA, although CAing is easier for me $2k in MOs = a CA, so Id have to do CAs of $5k to way in front, and I only ran into problems when CAing and I didnt care since I thought MVD #1 was toast, it wasnt I didnt know of the 5/8/10/45 mins and thought I was in the midst of being shut down so I did something like $30k on MVD#1 CAing $5k per time in 1 month last 1 was just under $10k. I dont know if the computer picks up the MOs as MOs, since its a $.50 fee it thinks its a reg purchase.With CAs its clear as day what you are doing

the main thing is to contiune doing whatever has worked for you till now, as each employee and store are different and what works in 1 might not in the next. Needless to say when Im in the LA area,FL, or NJ there are Wallys all over and close to 1 another. Id hate to be in this game with only 1 Wally close by.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:15 am

This topic has gone off topic. To answer the original question, I have tried at Stop & Shop in Orange county NY and have been denied. I tried at multiple and they said they do not do it anymore.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Pencegeri
This topic has gone off topic. To answer the original question, I have tried at Stop & Shop in Orange county NY and have been denied. I tried at multiple and they said they do not do it anymore.
Your answer is "You don't have an answer?" to the original question.....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
I was finally able to liquidate my gift cards at another store, but the very same gift cards were getting "Amount exceeded" or so error messages at two other stores' terminals after the swipe and PIN entry. So it wasn't even about the clerk declining the transaction. This makes it sounds like to me that things are starting be be hard-coded into the system.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
Wally is zoo at this time of the year. Dec-Jan is bad for MS at wally. the lines are long and also the stoopid Kiosks never work !
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Elmatador
Wally is zoo at this time of the year. Dec-Jan is bad for MS at wally. the lines are long and also the stoopid Kiosks never work !
December was awful around here. January is quiet or at least no worse than normal.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuphat
...Besides, are they also going to demand to enter my PIN for me?
The last time I got MOs at my WM, I kept getting the 'choose payment type' screen, so the clerk swiped the GCs on her side. The PIN screen then appeared on my side and I typed it in. They are very helpful at the WM I go to and never give me a hassle about the cards, although occasionally a clerk will press the wrong buttons and mess up the transaction.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Elmatador
Wally is zoo at this time of the year. Dec-Jan...
I think you meant Jan-Dec.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:14 am

Why not try it and see if it works? On second thought, it might get you banned from the bank if they catch you swapping the cards. Better to put on a ski mask before going in, that way they wont recognize you and wont be able to ban you. Then just hand the teller a note saying you want to do the CA. Let us know how it works out. ^
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Slickw
Why not try it and see if it works? Let us know how it works out. ^
It works!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
what stores do you buy MO's besides Walmart?

I feel like difficult to buy MO's at Walmart. Do you know anyplace that sells MO's with VGC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.