Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Anyone get one of these today (11/18)? I was planning on hitting WM tonight for a few things.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

All of my charges that resulted in Vendor down have credited back to my Amex. It took 3days to receive the credit.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
I was able to purchase the Sunrise Visa GC ($4.94 fee) with CC a week or so ago. Today at the same Super Walmart, they are insisting debit only.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by @ORD
I was able to purchase the Sunrise Visa GC ($4.94 fee) with CC a week or so ago. Today at the same Super Walmart, they are insisting debit only.
Insisting or register required?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by nrdk
Insisting or register required?
Register required. The girl couldn't care less one way or the other, and she called a supervisor over, same result. This might just have had a policy change. Someone else can share their experience at Walmart in the last few days as well.

By the way this is in suburban Chicago area.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:52 pm

Bought a WM Sunrise Bank Visa with a CC today. Only catch was they had to ring it up separately. I believe this has been reported before but this was my first experience with it. The cashier even let me try to ring it with other items, but this gave a "tender not allowed" error.

I then went to a different WM tonight and loaded the GC to Gobank on a kiosk.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Bought couple today w CC and only issue was they had to be rung up seperately.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

Seriously! At CVS and office stores they want all of them in a single tx, and WM splits them! LOL!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:38 am
jk2

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Bought a WM Sunrise Bank Visa with a CC today. Only catch was they had to ring it up separately. I believe this has been reported before but this was my first experience with it. The cashier even let me try to ring it with other items, but this gave a "tender not allowed" error.

I then went to a different WM tonight and loaded the GC to Gobank on a kiosk.
there is a trick - cashier must select "credit" instead of "debit". I always buy those with CC, and once my favorite cashier selected by mistake "debit" option on Her screen. And when I swiped my CC, it didn't go through. THen she rerun everything by pressing "credit" and it did go through.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
there is a trick - cashier must select "credit" instead of "debit". I always buy those with CC, and once my favorite cashier selected by mistake "debit" option on Her screen. And when I swiped my CC, it didn't go through. THen she rerun everything by pressing "credit" and it did go through.
Thanks! I thought she did hit credit (I told her CC) but don't really know and will try it again with your suggestion. WM is weird.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:40 pm

For anyone wondering, I was able to purchase a $500 Visa gift card (sunrise with the red Christmas ornament) using a walmart gift card. Initially the screen said something to the effect of "greater than $500 not allowed", so I suggested the cashier split the payment into $450 and then the remainder. Worked just fine.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Why would debit not be allowed?
If anything they should prefer debit above all other things.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:32 am
jk2

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Why would debit not be allowed?
If anything they should prefer debit above all other things.
Debit is allowed, but I swiped a credit card and machine made some sound (or beep). Then I told her I am using a CC and she pressed something on her screen and I re-swiped and purchase went through.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:32 am

Does anyone know if this is getting properly coded as grocery/supermarket purchase? I have few purchases from WM coded as grocery/superstore but the GC purchase came up as 'discount store'. I hope we get 5% cb on typ. Can someone share their experience on this?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by fidbrat
Does anyone know if this is getting properly coded as grocery/supermarket purchase? I have few purchases from WM coded as grocery/superstore but the GC purchase came up as 'discount store'. I hope we get 5% cb on typ. Can someone share their experience on this?
Did not work for me at a WM & Target that was coded as grocery (/superstore?) when I tried it a while ago. Don't think it earns extra points at superstores.

EDIT

I remember asking CS about the bonus points after getting TYP and was specifically told 4x bonus points would not be earned at superstores, I tested it anyway just to be sure.

Last edited by zenride; Nov 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.