Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by golf7
Just to add another option for people. Order the $200 vanilla visa online for 206.88, but go through upromise which has 5% back until 1/1/2014.

Net profit of $3.46 for each card. Just have to make sure it isnt one of those "special" vanilla visas that cant be loaded to BB.
Couple of negatives:
- WM never paid for its GCs via any portals, AFAIK.
- Likely all $200 VGCs from there are of "special" type, 18 series. Would love to hear opposite recent experiences.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pier11
Couple of negatives:
- Likely all $200 VGCs from there are of "special" type, 18 series. Would love to hear opposite recent experiences.
I just ordered an $80 gift card yesterday via the US portal as I had the Amex $20 back promo on one of my cards. I will post my results.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
Couple of negatives:
Right. You won't get any cash back via portal. I have gotten a lot of VGCs via WM over the past few months, all 35s. I do know a guy who just got a batch of 18s from WM. Looks like they are phasing them in.

The cash back is paid by the merchant and the cash back website keeps some and gives the rest to you. Some merchants give cash back on GCs, probably on error. You best believe WM wouldn't make this mistake.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:27 am

I placed a trial order through Upromise a few weeks back, ordering one Wal-Mart $200 GC and 4 Vanilla Visa $200 for $206.88 each. The order did NOT bring any bonus cashback from the Upromise network or my Upromise credit card. It did earn the standard 1% on all purchases on the credit card.

Plus it took me over three weeks to get the $200 Vanilla Visa cards activated--one e-mail, five phone calls. Sigh.

It's nice to see new ideas about how to earn cashback. But why post an idea that doesn't work? Some people will waste both time and money on an idea that doesn't work for anyone. It's not hard to try it yourself first--or at least say that you have NOT tried it in your post!

Last edited by Lobachevsky; Nov 15, 2013 at 12:33 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:06 pm

I also ordered Visa GC walmart online. It was the hell card that couldn't be loaded onto BB. And no, Upromise didn't give CB.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by busymike
On a plus note, my friendly Money Center employee tonight had a completely black tooth. She also didn't care that I ....
Just asking for trouble. Good grief!!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
The Walmart near me normally only stocks the variable load MC's and the register doesn't allow payment via cc. With the holidays approaching, there are now new gift card racks and they have variable load Visa cards with a $4.94 fee. These cards are issued by Sunrise Bank. I purchased one yesterday with my cc and was able to go back and load it to my BB today.

After loading I purchased another one and paid for it with my Amex GC. The register did ask for the last three on the back of the card but it went through. The nice thing about this is that my Walmart never asks to see my id. I have had CVS employees look at my Amex GC weird when I pay for it as they have to look at the card.

The packages states that the you must register is before use but that is not necessary. The real question is how fast does it activate. It would be nice to purchase, open package, and then load to BB/GB.
Was able to get this with WM store gift cards, and use within 30min to buy an MO, used last 4 as pin.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Was able to get this with WM store gift cards, and use within 30min to buy an MO, used last 4 as pin.
Can you share the package of the VISA/MC gift card you got?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
Can you share the package of the VISA/MC gift card you got?
It had an Xmas tree ornament and issued by sunrise bank. Saw some other packages with snowmen on them. Didn't need to call or go online to activate the card.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Just tried to buy one of these with a WM GC a little while ago. "Tender not allowed."
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kjgco
Just tried to buy one of these with a WM GC a little while ago. "Tender not allowed."
Interesting, might be store specific or a misconfigured register.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:24 pm

Interesting, might be store specific or a misconfigured register.
Worked last week for me (bought $500 variable Visa with 5 WMGC and charged the 4.94 to a credit card). Now not so sure if I should get more WMGC from my TY account, but no great alternatives.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Explored my local WM after finishing my final BB load for the month. Found a variable load Xmas themed VGC issued by Uni Natl Bank. Went to a register and purchased on CC without an issue. Card reader had me put in CVV code and sign. Seems to be just fine. Weirdly, the receipt says EFT Debit and Debit Load....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Walmart's systems are having problems today. I went to purchase one and it spit out a receipt saying something about the vendor. Then I tried again and it worked. We went to purchase a second one and we kept getting the same error. We went to another register and the first time it said tender not allowed. Then it let the swipe go through but again it wouldn't allow the purchase to go through. It would approve the CC immediately and then spit out a real small receipt that said something about the vendor. The manager said they had been having problems today but he didn't know it was.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Vendor down Charges are Posting

Yesterday I received 4 transactions that resulted in vendor down. I was told that these wouldn't be charged to my cc. When I got home, I saw that all of them were sitting in my pending charges. Today they actually posted to my account. I called WM and spoke to a manager and she said the system aborted the transaction but when that happens the charge still goes through. She said the credit will come back with in 5 business days.

I was lucky though as I actually had a receipt of one transaction that went through. This made it very easy for her to find my information.

Kind of crappy but at least she could see that the transaction was aborted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.