Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:55 am

How do you buy wm gc at à discount?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Corridor!
I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.
Thanks for the input !!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Delete

Last edited by liw5215; Nov 12, 2013 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:06 pm

Anyone know if Walmart's registers are smart enough to take off just the balance on an AmEx/Visa/MC GC and not try and charge past the amount? (CC swipe) I know this can be done at Target but unsure of WM
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntjane66
How do you buy wm gc at à discount?
www.giftcardgranny.com
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
Anyone know if Walmart's registers are smart enough to take off just the balance on an AmEx/Visa/MC GC and not try and charge past the amount? (CC swipe) I know this can be done at Target but unsure of WM
Why do you want to do that though??? Wouldn't you lose more on fees? CC = reward -> AmEx/Visa/MC GCs = fee -> University/Sunrise (I believe they changed the name from University to Sunrise) = another fee. You can buy 1x $500 VISA GC at a time with $4.94 activation fee each time (dunno if the WM registers allow to buy more than 1 at a time or can combine with other items, every cashier so far told me I can't buy anything but the 1x $500 VISA GC, no other items). Anwya, this isn't like the RedBird.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:34 pm

I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.
Did you hand your WM GC or did you swipe the GC yourself?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vagrants
Did you hand your WM GC or did you swipe the GC yourself?
I swiped it myself and then I pushed the purchase button. Then I handed it to her as she has to scan it. She then scanned it but then the system started acting weird. Not to mention all the buttons and re-swiping she was doing. During all of this, I did see her screen say Tender not Allowed. Once I saw that, I tried to pay with my cc but the system was locked up for about a minute. Then it went back to normal and let me pay with my cc.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
I swiped it myself and then I pushed the purchase button. Then I handed it to her as she has to scan it.
This worked for me until very recently when tender not allowed something started to appear...
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:56 pm

What cards with more than 1x do you use for purchases at WM?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
What cards with more than 1x do you use for purchases at WM?
Barclays Arrival, fidelity amex 2%, old Priceline Visa 2%
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:31 pm

tried buying bananas, bag o' kale, and a $400 VGC for my Uncle Charlie today at Wally. (I picked $400 in case I was denied CC so I could pay with ice cream).

Register prompts GC must be rung up separately.

Tried Chase SW Business. Tender not allowed. It kept asking for the security code. Goon put it in but it still didn't work. Paid with an OV and will drain remainder via AP. If you're in STL and want to know where this no-go was, PM me and we can collaborate.

On a plus note, my friendly Money Center employee tonight had a completely black tooth. She also didn't care that I loaded bluebird 2k (within eyesight of her), walked over and bought 2x$999.30 money orders, then walked back to the kiosk after 12 minutes total and bought another 4x$499.30 money orders. I enjoy doing 6k walmart runs.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by busymike
t
Tried Chase SW Business. Tender not allowed. It kept asking for the security code. Goon put it in but it still didn't work. Paid with an OV and will drain remainder via AP. If you're in STL and want to know where this no-go was, PM me and we can collaborate.
Will you please tell more about this "security code"? Recently, my WM started asking for CVV/Zip on the swiper for VISA GC purchases with CCs (not sure if it's for all purchases >$50, I usually don't buy stuffs @ WMs other than VISA GCs).
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
Will you please tell more about this "security code"? Recently, my WM started asking for CVV/Zip on the swiper for VISA GC purchases with CCs (not sure if it's for all purchases >$50, I usually don't buy stuffs @ WMs other than VISA GCs).
I only got asked my zipcode when using my Amex. Purchased a $500 visa gift card from the new rack and loaded it to my BB using the last for digits as pin. No problems.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by busymike
tried buying bananas, bag o' kale, and a $400 VGC for my Uncle Charlie today at Wally. (I picked $400 in case I was denied CC so I could pay with ice cream).

Register prompts GC must be rung up separately.

On a plus note, my friendly Money Center employee tonight had a completely black tooth. She also didn't care that I loaded bluebird 2k (within eyesight of her), walked over and bought 2x$999.30 money orders, then walked back to the kiosk after 12 minutes total and bought another 4x$499.30 money orders. I enjoy doing 6k walmart runs.
I wish my money center employee's were a little more keen to turn a blind eye. I've got one that once asked what I was doing loading so much and I said "Saving for a vacation"...Which is true as I'm saving points but not dollars for vacation. She's OK with me loading $1K to each BB but gets a little anxious when I attempt to buy MO afterwards. Guess I'll just stick with BB loads and be happy enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.