Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by bigugly
It is YMMV. My local WMNM codes as discount stores on Amex.
Was the transaction posted and shows as discount store?

From my experience the Neighborhood Market shows up in wholesale store when it's pending, but changes to grocery store when posted.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, USAir
It is YMMV. My local WMNM codes as discount stores on Amex.
My Super Walmart codes transactions as grocery on my Sallie Mae MC (only up to $250 per month), but hey, it has been a pleasant surprise for normal non-grocery purchases.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Welcome to FlyerTalk !!

All of the VGCs that I've received from Staples are from giftcardmall.

In the past, when I ordered from GCM directly (in the good old days when they used to accept AmEx GCs), I would receive the activation code(s) in a separate mailing. However, the few times that I've order from Staples, I don't receive that second letter with the activation code. So I too have had to call to activate the cards.

Once activated, go to giftcardmall.com/mygift. Here you will be able to click to check your balance, and you will also be able to click to reach the screens to change the PIN. If you haven't changed the PIN, you can try the last 4 digits of the 16 digit card number on the front of your GC.

I have Bluebird rather than SERVE. I always need the card PIN to load it to BB. I prefer to stay as far under the radar as I can when loading BB. In other words, I don't want to draw any attention by looking at each card to see what the last 4 digits are. (That's stealth MS.) So my own practice is to change the PIN in advance on all of my cards to one I'll remember easily.
Hmm..

2-3 months ago I did get the separate letter in the mail with the activation codes for the GC's I ordered from Staples (gift card mall). I set that easy # for my pins too
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by PlyrStar93
Was the transaction posted and shows as discount store?

From my experience the Neighborhood Market shows up in wholesale store when it's pending, but changes to grocery store when posted.
I only tried the one on my route, but it posted as wholesale or discount or something besides Grocery.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I can't find the thread I'm looking for so I'm just going to post in this one...

Today I stopped by a WM and on my way in I found some sunnies on the ground in the parking lot so I scooped them up. I was hoping for a big pay day (no such luck), but there was a small balance on two of the cards when I checked online. Out of curiosity I called the back of the card to see what the last transactions were and it was obvious that they were used for MO purchases, but what confused me is the initial load amounts were less than $400. I typically load 500/485/475 depending on how much is left on my axgc so I can't for the life of me figure out why somebody wouldn't be maxxing them out. Seems like more room for error to me, not to mention the additional cost of the activation fees. And I know they belonged to an MS'er only because these flavor of cards were never carried by this particular store. Thoughts??
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
I can't find the thread I'm looking for so I'm just going to post in this one...

Today I stopped by a WM and on my way in I found some sunnies on the ground in the parking lot so I scooped them up. I was hoping for a big pay day (no such luck), but there was a small balance on two of the cards when I checked online. Out of curiosity I called the back of the card to see what the last transactions were and it was obvious that they were used for MO purchases, but what confused me is the initial load amounts were less than $400. I typically load 500/485/475 depending on how much is left on my axgc so I can't for the life of me figure out why somebody wouldn't be maxxing them out. Seems like more room for error to me, not to mention the additional cost of the activation fees. And I know they belonged to an MS'er only because these flavor of cards were never carried by this particular store. Thoughts??
Who cares. Let those do whatever they want. What of they were using the MOs to make a payment for a service done to their house and needed exact amount in MOs or a CC payment. No point in buying a $500 MO if u only need $350.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:45 pm

Visa GC/ Walmart

If people at WM start asking questions or if they want info, the best thing to do is politely decline and leave the store. Being too greedy can make you a more memorable customer who is more likely to be shut down.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:31 am

There is a new WMNM opening near my office soon. I'm hoping they will carry the merchandise that I seek, and correctly code as a purveyor of grocery items. The others I have visited do not stock them and code as discount stores.

Do they ever put Kate in the WMNM stores?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:25 am

Do they ever put Kate in the WMNM stores?
I wish they did; I have yet to see one. What I'm sure of is their CS booth can process WM Synchrony payments and load to prepaid cards since I've done both.

Whenever I see a NM, I make sure to stop by and check their GC rack for some "treasures". I've never been disappointed at the ones I've been to.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Problems loading Sunrise VGCs to Bluebird at Walmart

Hi Fellow FTers - 2 days ago, I had problems loading a $500 Sunrise VGC to Bluebird at Walmart on Kate, then also with cashier. The card would seem to load, then message comes back with "debit not approved." Transaction history indicates debit, then credited back immediately, in both cases. Confirmed funds are still on the Visa gift card.

Then, 5 mins later, was able to successfully load a different Sunrise Visa GC $500 to BB on Kate, with no issues.

Anyone know what is going on? How is best way to liquidate these "Sunnies?"
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo
Hi Fellow FTers - 2 days ago, I had problems loading a $500 Sunrise VGC to Bluebird at Walmart on Kate, then also with cashier. The card would seem to load, then message comes back with "debit not approved." Transaction history indicates debit, then credited back immediately, in both cases. Confirmed funds are still on the Visa gift card.

Then, 5 mins later, was able to successfully load a different Sunrise Visa GC $500 to BB on Kate, with no issues.

Anyone know what is going on? How is best way to liquidate these "Sunnies?"
Did you try the same card again since then? The same thing happened to me about two months ago and I was able to load the "issue" card a couple of days later.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

The WMNMs in Mobile,AL code as grocery stores.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Incremental loads under $50 work for "problem" Sunirse VGC

Originally Posted by usalibido
Did you try the same card again since then? The same thing happened to me about two months ago and I was able to load the "issue" card a couple of days later.
Thanks, how's your "libido?"

Seriously, I went to another Wal-mart 2 days later, and still could not load the full amount. Then, went to the original Wal-mart where problem happened several days prior, and could not load on Kate for full amount.

Next, I COULD load 49.99 successfully from the problem card (has the "Celebrate" purple splash design, EXP 2021). Experimented with $250 load, but no dice. So, I guess I will just incrementally drain this problem child unless I figure out something easier. Interestingly, I bought a Birthday design Sunrise VGC later same day at WM, and no issue loading it to BB.

If I discover a higher incremental load besides 49.99, I will post results.

UPDATE 5/2/2015:
Had inconsistent success draining the remaining $400+ from this Sunnie Visa GC at WM cashiers and even Kate rejected $25 loads ... so took my new RedBird and was able to completely load the whole balance on RB at Target - no issues! Another reason to have both Bluebird and Redbird!

Last edited by fletchbo; May 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm Reason: Updated info
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:19 am

I had one Sunnie give me an issue the other day - swiped again and loaded just fine. The other three worked the first time with no problems.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:09 am

Hey all, I'm from NYC and I've spent most of my life here so I'm not too familiar with Walmart. In fact, I think I can count the number of times I've stepped in one on one hand.

My question -- do ALL Walmarts have money order service? If so, do they ALL accept VGC to purchase money orders, or is that a YMMV-type situation? I have a few upcoming out-of-state trips and I'm planning on visiting a Walmart at least once. I've got this one stupid VGC that I'm trying to liquidate.

I am convinced there are 0 places in NYC where you can buy a money order with a VGC :-/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.