FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   CVS Vanilla Reload: Alternate Form of Payment Required? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520216-cvs-vanilla-reload-alternate-form-payment-required.html)

bamasteve Nov 9, 2013 9:58 pm

CVS Vanilla Reload: Alternate Form of Payment Required?

OK so I go into the CVS on the other side of town where my girls do ballet. They always seem to have more VR cards - while the stores on my side of town are often out of cards. I've always been able to buy VR cards at this store - but not today.

I try to buy 2 cards, $500 each. I try this twice with my AMEX Delta card. Both times to computer tells the clerk that an alternate form of payment is required. No further explanation given.

Anyone else experience this?

amolkold Nov 9, 2013 10:09 pm

Fraud alert on your Amex?

mhassan87 Nov 9, 2013 10:17 pm

This happened to me two days ago, then I instantly got an fraud alert from Amex and a soon as I spoke to them I was able to purchase the cards.

cuebert Nov 10, 2013 9:25 am

Whenever I get that message it means my card issuer isn't allowing the transaction and I have a "fraud alert" on my account.

Corridor! Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am

As the previous posters have stated. It's a fraud alert. Call Amex and tell them it was you. No need to mention what you were trying to purchase. I have actually had to have Chase on the phone during a purchase due to the card being new. I just muted the phone so they couldn't here the cashier ask how much to load.

bamasteve Nov 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks all for the quick reply. AMEX cleared it up.....I hope to get some more VRs this week when I am back on that side of town.

recklessmax Nov 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Did anybody buy Vanilla reloads today from CVS. I got the same error today
after having bought these upteem times and was told by the manager that it has nothing to do with my card . ALso there was no block on my card CVS has probably made a change on their end and VR's have become cash only. He said he can confirm tomm morning.

If card issuer denied transaction would decline or ask to call for authorization.

craz Nov 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax (Post 21761651)
Did anybody buy Vanilla reloads today from CVS. I got the same error today
after having bought these upteem times and was told by the manager that it has nothing to do with my card . ALso there was no block on my card CVS has probably made a change on their end and VR's have become cash only. He said he can confirm tomm morning.

I purchased 3 today from 1 store using 3 different CCs, no problem at all

recklessmax Nov 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 21761658)
I purchased 3 today from 1 store using 3 different CCs, no problem at all

The only times i have seen this is while purchasing MoneyPak and register does not accept the form of payment. Its possible this has started happening region wise. I didn't call my issuer to avoid attention but checked online and over the phone automated system, Then i made a small transaction at Kmart and the CC went through.

On another note recently while buying these most cashiers seem to know what people are upto with these VR's. it seems customers have been fully educating cashiers on how they make points/miles using these

godsquare Nov 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by recklessmax (Post 21761679)
The only times i have seen this is while purchasing MoneyPak and register does not accept the form of payment. Its possible this has started happening region wise. I didn't call my issuer to avoid attention but checked online and over the phone automated system, Then i made a small transaction at Kmart and the CC went through.

On another note recently while buying these most cashiers seem to know what people are upto with these VR's. it seems customers have been fully educating cashiers on how they make points/miles using these

It is a different error when you purchase MoneyPak with CC.

IIRC, it was "tender not allowed", not "alternate tender required"

Guzmanatm Dec 9, 2013 12:45 pm

I was flat out denied purchasing Vanilla Reload w/ CC by the manager. They said it was 'cash only'. I told the manager that I've purchased before at that very store as recently as a week ago, but they said it should not have been allowed and that the Point of Sales clerk is risking their job by selling them to purchase with a CC. When I pressed the manager on the issue I was told that it was an order from above that any prepaid cards described as 'reloads' must be purchased with cash only. This happened yesterday afternoon - I'm going back again today and hopefully a different group will be working.

dartagnan Dec 9, 2013 1:09 pm

I bought 5k yesterday from the manager of the local store. More of the same: meh - every store does it different.

fjord Dec 9, 2013 1:15 pm

Can confirm that this block is caused by your card's fraud protection. My Citi sends me a text instantaneously after the fraud system triggers and I am able to try again within a minute and complete the purchase.

roneyc Dec 9, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Guzmanatm (Post 21933239)
I was flat out denied purchasing Vanilla Reload w/ CC by the manager. They said it was 'cash only'. I told the manager that I've purchased before at that very store as recently as a week ago, but they said it should not have been allowed and that the Point of Sales clerk is risking their job by selling them to purchase with a CC. When I pressed the manager on the issue I was told that it was an order from above that any prepaid cards described as 'reloads' must be purchased with cash only. This happened yesterday afternoon - I'm going back again today and hopefully a different group will be working.

I sure hope you didn't get any of the clerks on other shifts in trouble. I think it has been said many, many times on the forum. You can be right or you can continue to play the game, but usually not both. I am down to only 2 CVS stores that continue to take cc's and then only on specific shifts. When I see the Middle Eastern mgr is manning the registers I just turn around and leave. I come back when my two favorite gals are there and they know what I am doing. Sunday morning there was a substitute, so I attempted my 1k VR purchase and she automatically said "cash only". I gently pressed with "would you try it?" She was surprised when it went through and said she learned something. That's as much pushback as I'm ever going to attempt, lest I lose my last 2 stores.

Guzmanatm Dec 9, 2013 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by roneyc (Post 21934142)
I sure hope you didn't get any of the clerks on other shifts in trouble. I think it has been said many, many times on the forum. You can be right or you can continue to play the game, but usually not both. I am down to only 2 CVS stores that continue to take cc's and then only on specific shifts. When I see the Middle Eastern mgr is manning the registers I just turn around and leave. I come back when my two favorite gals are there and they know what I am doing. Sunday morning there was a substitute, so I attempted my 1k VR purchase and she automatically said "cash only". I gently pressed with "would you try it?" She was surprised when it went through and said she learned something. That's as much pushback as I'm ever going to attempt, lest I lose my last 2 stores.

Quite frankly I'm a bit of a n00b at this but I've been reading a lot. I didn't want to rock the boat, so when the manager (who happens to be Middle Eastern) said it was from above I just nodded and walked out. Interestingly, a different mgr rang me up a few weeks ago for 1k VR and aside from a bit of scrutiny due to my card not being signed on the back everything was smooth.
Anyways, I went back today to test the waters with $500 VR and it was quick and painless, but I certainly don't want to get anyone fired over this. . .

EDIT// To avoid any confusion the person who denied my previous attempt was not a 'manager' they were a 'shift supervisor', at least according to the name badge.