Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Sears Gift Card Promotion - MS Opportunity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sears Gift Card Promotion - MS Opportunity

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by nmp0
Went to Sears and bought 2 $50 Visa to test. Cashier rang it up without the $10 and the manager came over eventually & fixed it. Manager was busy and seemed irritated so I didn't push my luck with more today since I am passing by twice tomorrow.

I also noticed that they have the same deal on Sears gift cards. Buy 2 $50 Sears gift cards and get $10 Award Card. I am going to buy that deal first in the morning and then go to a different register and try to buy the Visa cards with the Sears gift cards. IF it works than it will be an extra $10 GC + SYWR per $100. If it doesn't work then I'll have to find a deal at Sears on Black Friday to use my gift cards.
YMMV will vary with buying gift cards with gift cards.

My experience is the visa gift cards are not automatically giving $10 back. at least at stores I've tried it at.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by chuckywang
Have you tried lately? I recently tried to purchase BP gift cards with a Sears/Kmart/Lands End gift cards at KMart, and the register asked for manager override. Before, it used to work without override. I assume Sears more or less uses the same POS hence my question.
You are correct. Kmart register prompts override, but is easily done. Sears on the other hand does not prompt MOD override. Done plenty of gift card for gift card trxs at sears.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:43 pm

Same thing for me yesterday. The free $10 is not coming up at Sears. Needed to wait a long time for mgr to come over and she couldn't get it to work either and ended up just giving me a $10 GC. She said maybe because I bought with GC it wouldn't give a GC.

Has anyone been successful getting auto $10 card?

Also, my Sears for the first time has a bunch of other GC. Chipotle, etc. and the first time I have ever seen at any Sears, BP and Shell cards. Nice to know, though I prefer still getting them from Kmart when I can in order to get the 30c off coupon.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Did not work automatically for me.

Had to wait like 20 minutes for manager to just give me a $10 gift card. She also deposited $20 'sears dollars' into my sears rewards account with them instead of the $2, as a 'sorry for taking so long' type thing.

Of course, no repeating. They read the promo to note that it's only 1 per customer (though at 20+ minutes, not sure I'd want to repeat -- unless they're giving the $20 sears dollars each time I guess).

Anyone get this to work without manager intervention ?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Did not work automatically for me.

Had to wait like 20 minutes for manager to just give me a $10 gift card. She also deposited $20 'sears dollars' into my sears rewards account with them instead of the $2, as a 'sorry for taking so long' type thing.

Of course, no repeating. They read the promo to note that it's only 1 per customer (though at 20+ minutes, not sure I'd want to repeat -- unless they're giving the $20 sears dollars each time I guess).

Anyone get this to work without manager intervention ?
They coded it wrong in the system and it will never pop up. Just get a manager immediately
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

At both stores I purchased at, it did not show up automatically, Manager had to override to give the deal.

Any experience with the 2 $50 sears gift cards and getting $10 back then going to buy the Visa Gift Cards with $10 back with the sears gift cards ?

That would be really lucrative
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:58 pm

Data points and anecdote...

Went with GF to one of our Sears in town.
While she bought 3 sets at one register, I cruised over to another and bought 3 sets myself...

Painful process. As many others noted, the $10 Sears card didn't auto-prompt. The gal ringing me up said that the prior day, in a different department register, it did.. but no such love today.
Manager involved at both registers... loddy-doddy... annnnd eventual success. Since the gal ringing me up seemed to have the process down, I bought 2 more sets with her, as did GF. They did not know about or bother about the "1 per person" in T&C of posted ad sign.

All good in the end (ONE HOUR LATER)... 20x $50 GCs in hand.. 10x $10 Sears GCs in hand. All purchases on our respective cards with Plink. My purchases with SYW points.

I am on the hook for all liquidation, as GF is willing, but not always happy participant in MS. 30 minutes at Walmart kiosk (praise god if one is working!!) is beyond her tolerance. ;-) Even thought it's all going to HER BB, hehe. (mine are maxxed this month).

Thanks golf7 for posting this. It's definitely no Chase GC or HIGC... but for some effort, it's decent payoff... esp. for MS couples. She put it towards CCarlson (5x) and I used Chase Freedom, for the 5% category.

More data points: I also noticed an increased presence of gift cards... restaurants, gas stations, iTunes, Amazon, bookstores, etc and even the rarely-seen-in-the-wild famed $100 Visa GCs!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
anyone tried walmart?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by al613
anyone tried walmart?
For liquidation? Kate takes them easily. A bit of a pain since it's only $50, but it goes.

Manager informed me today, or rather the cashier, that if anyone buys it, that they have to call a manager. At least there was signage up today as opposed to other visits.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by smarterman64
For liquidation? Kate takes them easily. A bit of a pain since it's only $50, but it goes.

Manager informed me today, or rather the cashier, that if anyone buys it, that they have to call a manager. At least there was signage up today as opposed to other visits.
Sorry, I meant kmart for purchasing cards
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:43 am
Original Poster

More ways to maximize this deal by buying Sears Gift Cards first, then the VGC with the gift cards.

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmile...rs-gift-cards/

If you buy the sears gift card through Staples.com, you could possibly stack a $10 of $50 at staples on top of all that to get the gift cards abour 25% off.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:06 am

Reasons why this deal is not worth the effort/hassle:

1) There are no VGCs available at most of the locations

2) Sears hasn't coded it right in their system. A manager has to get involved and manually process the sears GC.

3) You can only buy 2 VGCs in one transaction in order to get the $10 sears gift card. This is a lot of hassle

4) Since a lot of WM kiosks are broken, its a lot of hassle to load so many VGCs in to your bluebird

5) Draining so many $10 Sears gift card is again a lot of hassle. I ended up buying a car seat for my child but others don't have a lot of options. VGC might not be available when they want to drain their sears gift card.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

No need to be a downer, there are obviously downsides to this deal, but it is worth it to many people.

Also instead of buying a VGC with your sears gift cards, just buy another "non-expiring" sears gift card and come back when you know they have VGC or use it to buy anything at sears/lands end/kmart.

Also if you are nice to the manager they dont force the 1 gc per person and best of all the manager I talked to put all of my $10 gift cards onto 1 card so I wouldnt have to keep track of all the individual cards.

Taking into account some of the creative ways to get sears gift cards, this deal can turn a 10-20 dollar profit per $100 bought.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:51 pm

OK, I tried this in Northern California (Bay Area). It turns out that the deal here is buy a Sears Gift card and get 5 bucks back in Sears GC. I asked them to try the 2 Visa GC and the thing did not print out. She tried to create a GC and that failed so gave me 10 bux. This is probably not a repeatable option.

My point here is that - the deal does not seem to exist here in the Bay Area. Has anyone succeeded (other than my hack and very nice manager) or seen a sign for this deal here in the Bay Area?

Thanks!

Last edited by raccah; Nov 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
Not worth it for me, too much hassle for a small payout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.