Amex Prepaid and Costco

Old Nov 6, 13, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Amex Prepaid and Costco

Has anyone faced any issues using Amex Prepaid card at either Costco.com or the store itself?
Old Nov 6, 13, 10:18 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07 View Post
Has anyone faced any issues using Amex Prepaid card at either Costco.com or the store itself?
No problem here - worked through a $2k Amex PP card over the course of several months at physical costco store.
Old Nov 6, 13, 12:38 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I know I have used the $20-$500 variable load Amex at Costco with no issues. I think I have used the $100 fixed also.

Costco registers are also smart enough to use the full remaining balance if your bill is higher.

Related question - has anyone used a $100 Visa or MC gift card with a PIN set as a debit card at Costco? I prefer those for places that don't take Amex, but would like to drain them at Costco too. I know I could buy Costco gift cards at costco.com with them, but I don't plan that well.
Old Nov 6, 13, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
No issues. I just used one there last week.
Old Nov 6, 13, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
I only use the Amex prepaid at Costco atms to withdraw cash. They charge the lowest fees of any place near me.
Old Nov 8, 13, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Is there a lag time? i.e. Can I buy a pre-paid card at a store and then use it at Costco 20 mins later? Or do I have to wait a few hours?
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by nep301 View Post
I only use the Amex prepaid at Costco atms to withdraw cash. They charge the lowest fees of any place near me.
How did you get a pin for it.
Old Nov 9, 13, 12:08 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by ntjane66 View Post
How did you get a pin for it.
By registering it, APP and AFT both have Pin - how else do you think you can use the ATM?
Old Nov 11, 13, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07 View Post
Is there a lag time? i.e. Can I buy a pre-paid card at a store and then use it at Costco 20 mins later? Or do I have to wait a few hours?
If I remember correctly, you have to wait about 1 hour for pre-paid AMEX to work.
Old Nov 12, 13, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
If I remember correctly, you have to wait about 1 hour for pre-paid AMEX to work.
Thanks much
Old Nov 13, 13, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
I once called Amex Customer Service and asked this exact question, as my card did not work after about 30 minutes. Guy went away, came back, and told me 70 minutes.

Costco is a great place to use up the last bits on a prepaid Amex. I use them until they get down to $10-20 and take a stack into Costco and zip-zip-zip, they are all burned up. I think I used 7 once.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: