FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Does anyone Manufacture with zero loss or even profit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1515516-does-anyone-manufacture-zero-loss-even-profit.html)

Happy Oct 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx (Post 21663810)
I am looking to find if anyone is still getting value and coming out green after all costs.

Sure you do. Google cash back cards you would find the options. That should help to offset the cost to get value if this is what you are after. Whether it is worth the trouble though (doing both and balance the act) is of course YMMV.

You have to understand that there are indeed some folks are more than happy to pay a cost for a coach ticket and then get to travel in first class. To them, they dont need to see green, that flat bed in the sky for 15 hours is green enough to do it. Ditto for staying at nice hotels but paying for budget hotels price. Enough green there, too.

xoxx Oct 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 21663976)
Sure you do. Google cash back cards you would find the options. That should help to offset the cost to get value if this is what you are after. Whether it is worth the trouble though (doing both and balance the act) is of course YMMV.

Happy, thank you very much!

pier11 Oct 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx (Post 21663854)
And I have had two people politely PM me and explain what they do to mitigate their costs. I don't think i'm infuriating anyone with this thread.

Those two please FW your replies to me too :) Need to evaluate my perception of universe :)

xoxx Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by pier11 (Post 21664014)
Those two please FW your replies to me too :) Need to evaluate my perception of universe :)

both essentially said same thing "happy" said.

miniaturekat Oct 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Yes. Will PM :)

TheChallenge Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

There are ways to both get a value and profit from MS, you just have to get creative in the purchasing/liquidation process. I'm currently down to getting an average overall profit of 1/3 cent on top of every mile/point I acquire.

And no I don't plan on telling anyone how. Use your imagination and think of a way yourself if you plan on PM. You'll fly more in FC in the long run that way.

gofarhaveacigar Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Use a 5% CB card, and you earn (profit) $21.05 for every 500 VR you buy. Buy 20 VR per month, and you end up earning $420 per month. Sometimes I throw in sign up bonuses, but usually just the 5% card as I value the money way more than the points. I'm happy to fly coach and have to okay for it, but the sign up bonuses usually take care of the coach flight.

groobie Oct 24, 2013 6:48 pm

I look for opportunities to buy gcs with a rebate or coupon that offset the fee and immediately put me in profit town :)

KennyBSAT Oct 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx (Post 21663810)
I am looking to find if anyone is still getting value and coming out green after all costs.

Yes. Get AMEX BCP around the middle of the year, max out 6% of $6000 with grocery MS during 2 calendar years, do more MS with it at 3% at gas stations, add $250 bonus, subtaract $75 AF. Easy thousand dollars. Open Citi gold checking account, easy $400. Navy Federal CU card if you qualify, easy $600. And on and on.

I have no idea why anyone thinks they have to choose between miles and points or cashback. I prefer 'and'.

Much more helpful info on cashback programs at fatwallet and similar sites.

xoxx Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 21664386)
Yes. Get AMEX BCP around the middle of the year, max out 6% of $6000 with grocery MS during 2 calendar years, do more MS with it at 3% at gas stations, add $250 bonus, subtaract $75 AF. Easy thousand dollars. Open Citi gold checking account, easy $400. Navy Federal CU card if you qualify, easy $600. And on and on.

I have no idea why anyone thinks they have to choose between miles and points or cashback. I prefer 'and'.

Much more helpful info on cashback programs at fatwallet and similar sites.

Thank You kenny!

BakerStreet Oct 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 21663903)
well if you use a cash back card like the wells fargo 5% back at drug stores and buy VR you come out ahead right away without any travel needed.

True - but not exactly the intended goal of our efforts

Rick471 Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm

There have been threads on how to offset ms costs. Involves cb cards...can easily manufacture spend for zero costs.

Example: 1K in gc's with 6% cb = $60 - $9.90 (cost of gc's) = $51.10 profit

Take that $51 and use it to offset costs of VR's at gas stations for 2x points. You can buy 12 VR's at zero cost. 12 cards @ 500 each = 6000 x 2x points = 12K points for free.

BCP lets you do 6k per year at 6%...with wife's card 12k per year. Pretty sweet offset.

SpeedingLunatic Oct 24, 2013 8:10 pm

'Offsetting' is a stupid concept. Money is fungible. If you earn $51 you could just as well keep it. You are still spending $51 on those 12k points.

I'm not big on points myself. Cash is king.

Rick471 Oct 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedingLunatic (Post 21664678)
'Offsetting' is a stupid concept. Money is fungible. If you earn $51 you could just as well keep it. You are still spending $51 on those 12k points.

I'm not big on points myself. Cash is king.

Then you sir are doing it wrong and don't get it. Cash is king...and not having to use it...is also king.

I booked a room that costs $400+ a night for 22k in points a night. Doing my method, I use less than $100 cash back to ms those points. Why would I want the $100 cb instead of getting the points.

If you plan correctly, it's a no brainer. Stupid concept? I think not.

kvs25 Oct 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Even with a 1% cash back card, you're making a net profit of $1.09 for every VR purchased. How can you NOT MS w/ out profit?