Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Go for it and report back...
I would but I won't be near a WM till Sunday.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Tried to use kate for the 1st time on Tuesday afternoon (6/17).

When I swiped my VGC (Not vanilla) to pay I entered the pin and it came up as ****.

It then asked me to re-enter the PIN, but it actually showed my pin on the screen (ie 1234) instead of ****.

It wouldn’t take it and I tried a different VGC. Same process as not recognizing the pin, then showing the numbers to re-enter.

I cancelled out and then I then used the same BB and VGCs to load at the money center with a teller and it worked. I then loaded a different BB with VGCs at a cashier and it worked correctly.

Clearly the VGCs worked fine. Anyone ever experience this with Kate?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:47 pm

I tried to load a Vanilla Visa series 484735 today at the WM Money Center Kiosk and was denied on all of the following amounts: $500, $100, $90, and $50. I was able to purchase a $492 visa gift card from gift card mall, so once it comes in we can see if it is a Banccorp issue (since the gcm card is from Metabank), or if it is ALL visa gift cards. The latter would be the death nail.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonwilsonmft
I tried to load a Vanilla Visa series 484735 today at the WM Money Center Kiosk and was denied on all of the following amounts: $500, $100, $90, and $50. I was able to purchase a $492 visa gift card from gift card mall, so once it comes in we can see if it is a Banccorp issue (since the gcm card is from Metabank), or if it is ALL visa gift cards. The latter would be the death nail.
Have you read the wiki? Or anything in the MO thread?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mayday23
Tried to use kate for the 1st time on Tuesday afternoon (6/17).

When I swiped my VGC (Not vanilla) to pay I entered the pin and it came up as ****.

It then asked me to re-enter the PIN, but it actually showed my pin on the screen (ie 1234) instead of ****.

It wouldn’t take it and I tried a different VGC. Same process as not recognizing the pin, then showing the numbers to re-enter.

I cancelled out and then I then used the same BB and VGCs to load at the money center with a teller and it worked. I then loaded a different BB with VGCs at a cashier and it worked correctly.

Clearly the VGCs worked fine. Anyone ever experience this with Kate?
Yes its a known problem and there is no workaround.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Have a couple of OneVanilla cards that I had not had a chance to load to BB. Went to WM today and tried loading $99.99 at Kate. No go - received code 96. Went away for a few minutes and came back and tried $90. Again, no go and code 96.

Guess I will need to find some other way to unload the OV cards.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Just tried loading $90 and than $50 from my OV card here at WM in Riverdale... Didn't work, and got the same error I received yesterday. At least I only have 3 on hand..
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:21 pm

I tried to load $99 and I got code 96 as well. I only tried it at the kiosk though.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by magnitude
I tried to load $99 and I got code 96 as well. I only tried it at the kiosk though.
I know I'm posting in the BB thread, but just to be clear, both of the above posters were using BB and trying to load $90 from OVs? I thought $90 worked for other posters, this is getting confusing...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
$99.99 load from OV got error code 94 in Chitown
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
assuming a few things here but here goes:

let's say all vanilla incomm cards are no longer set to work at wmt for debit. Is this cuz of wmt or cuz of incomm? If cuz of wmt, well, that's their software and so be it. It works with other gcs and prepaids and that is that. I recall, as I said before in here, that at rite aid, there was a time when vanilla based gcs would run as credit for MOs there. Clerks eventually got spoken to by their bosses and the entire chain stopped doing MOs to debit.

So there could be something within the type of gc vanilla is made up of that makes it just NOT work with the type of software that wmt and the rite aid systems use.

if it is a feature of incomm and they made it so their cards cannot work at wmt for debit, well that's a bigger issue. One COULD contact some faction of the govt and say hey these are supposed to have pins on them but it dont work no more. Then again, some faction of something would probably come back and say: Well yes there had been a lot of fraud at wmt or something so we stopped it there. Go elsewhere.

Either way, if the card dont work there no more, you have to move on and stop yapping about it.

This has to be on the wmt end, what's happening today to everyone first started in my area about 6 weeks ago when I first posted about it. None of the workarounds worked and I had close to 15k of OV's to load. Luckily I was going down to DC and had no issues loading all the cards down there. I was finally able to load some at a wmt about 40 minutes from my house but since then I've been sticking w/ MO's from other outlets.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
I know I'm posting in the BB thread, but just to be clear, both of the above posters were using BB and trying to load $90 from OVs? I thought $90 worked for other posters, this is getting confusing...
I think the < $100 workaround is highly YMMV. I tend to see more failures than successes with this workaround. I see this workaround getting patched quickly to the point where OVs are not allowed to be used at WM as Debit. Its pretty ridiculous to me.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AOPA
Just loaded 500 via Kate with non vanilla GC
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Originally Posted by hitman1420
That's correct, this is clearly a YMMV
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Update - I tried the same OVs at a working Kate (never seen this one operating before!) this morning for BB load amounts between $50-$99.99 and all went through on card 1 (draining the $500). When I tried card 2, it asked me for my PIN twice before giving me the "tender not available" error; so, I may have mistyped the PIN when I set it (since it asked for the PIN a 2nd time before deciding and since card 1 worked).
Following-up - on the exact same Kate that worked this morning with my first OV, 3 different OVs (all with the same 4941 59xx beginning) would not load this evening (giving both 94 and 96 "Debit Not Available Appr. Code" errors) with this "debit-not-available" screen:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.