Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 22, 14, 1:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old May 30, 14, 8:35 pm
  #451  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 11,932
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it. This location is in MA and doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. The terminals are only the 'color' type and not the b/w displays.

I'll have to go back tomorrow and try playing with the cancel button and see if I can get it to work. The two cashiers I worked with this evening had no idea what was going on and had me do multiple swipes to try to get it to work, but I didn't try hitting cancel then.
rylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 8:38 pm
  #452  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by RJP3 View Post
How did they know you were using GCs?

Even if they didn't know it was a gift card, the one Walmart didn't allow more than 1 card to load onto BB. I had a stack of 8 - $200 MC GC's in my pocket. I wasn't about to load one card a day as I need the money in my BB this weekend to pay my rent. So when I did the usual, "I would like to load $600." They asked if was multiple cards and I said yes. Then they refused to run it and the manager got involved and said that policy was being sent from corporate. Uh-oh.
rgmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 8:52 pm
  #453  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by rgmonkey View Post
Even if they didn't know it was a gift card, the one Walmart didn't allow more than 1 card to load onto BB. I had a stack of 8 - $200 MC GC's in my pocket. I wasn't about to load one card a day as I need the money in my BB this weekend to pay my rent. So when I did the usual, "I would like to load $600." They asked if was multiple cards and I said yes. Then they refused to run it and the manager got involved and said that policy was being sent from corporate. Uh-oh.
1-Go to a different WM. 2-Don't tell them you are using multiple cards. Tell them that your bank has a $200 per transaction restriction so you have to do it mutliple times. Use a slide of the hand behind the counter to switch cards. 3-Last resort, go to different cashiers and load $200 at a time.
cdancer20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 8:56 pm
  #454  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by cdancer20 View Post
1-Go to a different WM. 2-Don't tell them you are using multiple cards. Tell them that your bank has a $200 per transaction restriction so you have to do it mutliple times. Use a slide of the hand behind the counter to switch cards. 3-Last resort, go to different cashiers and load $200 at a time.
Those are all good ideas. Let me try that tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.
rgmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 8:57 pm
  #455  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by rgmonkey View Post
Those are all good ideas. Let me try that tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.
Great. Good luck!
cdancer20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 9:06 pm
  #456  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by rgmonkey View Post
Even if they didn't know it was a gift card, the one Walmart didn't allow more than 1 card to load onto BB. I had a stack of 8 - $200 MC GC's in my pocket. I wasn't about to load one card a day as I need the money in my BB this weekend to pay my rent. So when I did the usual, "I would like to load $600." They asked if was multiple cards and I said yes. Then they refused to run it and the manager got involved and said that policy was being sent from corporate. Uh-oh.
silver4300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 9:10 pm
  #457  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 364
What's this "cancel" and "workaround" business? Not very well explained on this thread.
st.exupery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 9:11 pm
  #458  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,355
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
What's this "cancel" and "workaround" business? Not very well explained on this thread.
see this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ing-ov-wm.html
cdancer20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 9:36 pm
  #459  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 29
1st timer here. I purchased a $100 OV tonight at Walgreens (started small to test the waters) as well as a temp. bluebird card at walmart for $5. The $100 OV loaded just fine onto my BB via the walmart kiosk. Will be heading back tomorrow to sneak in a last minute may load.

Last edited by bryan995; May 30, 14 at 9:52 pm
bryan995 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 14, 9:52 pm
  #460  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,035
Originally Posted by elbooboo View Post
Another data point. I was able to successfully load 2 OV to a BB and 1 OV to a Serve via a kiosk in Los Angeles today. I did not try to load the OV via cashier or MC.
I also had success with ov to bb at kiosk in LA area tonight.
azepine00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 1:28 am
  #461  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Posts: 129
Just one other data point which is well documented just loaded 3k metabank cards in the bay area 1k at the new colored POS system, 1k @ kate, and 1k on the old POS systems. Seems like the meta cards are still going strong.
OnTheRocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 2:23 am
  #462  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Posts: 1,786
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
What's this "cancel" and "workaround" business? Not very well explained on this thread.
explained in way too much detail IMHO
skibum7732 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 11:00 am
  #463  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GSO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 742
Another data point that confirms info in the wiki:

5/31 12:00 ET: Loaded 2 x $500 VGC (484735) using Kate in NC. No problems at all/no workaround needed.
tmm1012 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 12:17 pm
  #464  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C via Boston via New York
Posts: 1,165
tender type not allowed this afternoon at my local WM...didn't know of recent changes...I was hoping it was the cashier typing something wrong and not something like this...sad days ahead
macdonaldj2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 12:42 pm
  #465  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Tried loading my Bluebird with Vanilla gift/debit card this evening at WM. Having the same problem... I tried at a register and at cust service/money center. When I swipe it blinks a screen for a fraction of a second showing the cancel and change payment buttons, then goes to the screen for a signature for another fraction of a second and then rejects it. This location is in MA and doesn't have a self serve kiosk that I can try manually, so have to go to a register. The terminals are only the 'color' type and not the b/w displays.

I'll have to go back tomorrow and try playing with the cancel button and see if I can get it to work. The two cashiers I worked with this evening had no idea what was going on and had me do multiple swipes to try to get it to work, but I didn't try hitting cancel then.
This was my experience in TX as well, except I was buying a money order. The store does have a kiosk and OVs work as usual except MOs are only allowed up to $500.
frugalgal1001 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread